Oumar Ballo, Commits to INDIANA

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Thank you!!

I am tring to think of thos years tip teams. Who had a real "designated sharp shooter"

It's a bit overblown.we just need good players that shoot it respectuffly. Not a designated sharp shooter.

Jones for Purdue took almost as many 3s as the next two below him combined and shot 35%. 

For UConn, Karaban, Newton and Spencer all took about the same amount of 3s and shot 44%, 37% and 32%. 

So you're right, this whole idea that we need this 45-50% 3PT shooter or our season is going to be a failure is kind of a panicky reaction.  Give me 3-4 guys that can shoot it at 33-36% vs 2 that are at 40%+.  That's what will keep defenses honest. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Crean and Tim Buckley were excellent at developing shooting skills. Yogi, Vic, Watford, Zeisloft, Bielfeldt all improved their three point shooting under that staff. We haven't seen the same since then. 

That’s were I am. We have the players they just don’t seem to be developing their shot? Where’s Jordie at? He learned from Buckley!

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Crean and Tim Buckley were excellent at developing shooting skills. Yogi, Vic, Watford, Zeisloft, Bielfeldt all improved their three point shooting under that staff. We haven't seen the same since then. 

Zeisloft was a marksman when he transferred in.  He shot 41% and 35% in his two years at Illinois State and 45% and 41% at IU.  That's just cleaning up an already polished diamond. 

Watford, I will absolutely give you on that. 

Bielfeldt is an example of what Crean's real skill was: finding the diamonds in the rough.  I'm sure coaching played into it, but I think Max's improvement was mostly just due to minutes/usage and being able to hit a rhythm. 

The trio of Yogi, Vic and Sheehey (who wasn't a bad outside shooter either) were described as 3 of the biggest gym rats anyone had seen in a generation.  Their improvement was more due to their borderline obscene work ethic. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Zeisloft was a marksman when he transferred in.  He shot 41% and 35% in his two years at Illinois State and 45% and 41% at IU.  That's just cleaning up an already polished diamond. 

Watford, I will absolutely give you on that. 

Bielfeldt is an example of what Crean's real skill was: finding the diamonds in the rough.  I'm sure coaching played into it, but I think Max's improvement was mostly just due to minutes/usage and being able to hit a rhythm. 

The trio of Yogi, Vic and Sheehey (who wasn't a bad outside shooter either) were described as 3 of the biggest gym rats anyone had seen in a generation.  Their improvement was more due to their borderline obscene work ethic. 

The players attributed it to Crean and Buckley

https://www.insidethehall.com/2015/10/08/getting-better-all-the-time-tom-creans-culture-of-player-development/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Ok, first point of order… order that in a poster for my ceiling!!! Oh mercy

All of her songs in the 90's were about Dave Coulier from "Full House", so you have a shot. If you're Canadian.😃

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Saying we want 3 point shooters without naming names can't be debated very well...

I wouldn't care if his name is Fred Freeps if he can hit 39%-41% from three and take a stance on defense. So far, we're O-for. (Mac doesn't count because he's already here, and he's only 1. We need 3-4 in the rotation IMO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Jones for Purdue took almost as many 3s as the next two below him combined and shot 35%. 

For UConn, Karaban, Newton and Spencer all took about the same amount of 3s and shot 44%, 37% and 32%. 

So you're right, this whole idea that we need this 45-50% 3PT shooter or our season is going to be a failure is kind of a panicky reaction.  Give me 3-4 guys that can shoot it at 33-36% vs 2 that are at 40%+.  That's what will keep defenses honest. 

To play devils advocate, the only guy currently on the roster who was in the 33%+ range from 3 last year was Malik at 33.3% on very low volume or Leal on even lower volume. I think it’s safe to count on Mack being there based on how he finished the year, but anyone else would require some improvement over the offseason. Good programs develop players, but it’s felt like shooting in particular isn’t something that IU as a program has developed well since Crean.

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

To play devils advocate, the only guy currently on the roster who was in the 33%+ range from 3 last year was Malik at 33.3% on very low volume or Leal on even lower volume. I think it’s safe to count on Mack being there based on how he finished the year, but anyone else would require some improvement over the offseason. Good programs develop players, but it’s felt like shooting in particular isn’t something that IU as a program has developed well since Crean.

If you look at the first 25 games Rice played in, he's a 33% 3PT shooter.  After that point was clearly the freshman wall, but up to that point, he was respectable and took more 3s than Reneau and Leal combined, so it's not exactly limited volume.

Carlyle is also a 32% shooter on the same volume of Rice's first 25 games. 

That puts us up to 3, and if Reneau has shown at least a little bit of ability in that department, that's what I'd be having him focus on in the offseason. 

Is it an "OMG" level transformation? No, but I think it's an upgrade with a lot of upside. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Having guys like Carlye and Rice that can attack the basket, make mid range jump shots and make 3s at a 32-34% range will put pressure on the D. More so than a 40% shooter. Galloway added with those guys gives you 3 guys to attack off the bounce. Galloway proved to be a OK spot up shooter his Junior season. If he can get back to 32-34% range and MM shoots in the 35-37% as a volume shooter we will be in good shape. Scoring won’t be the problem. Rice and Carlye will be tougher to guard than a guy like Loyer or Essigan. 

Yes but just having one guy like Loyer or a prolific 3pt shooter will draw defense attention as well…kinda like Steph does and defense will over help on him or he pulls attention his way and that opens up lanes and shots for everyone else. I don’t think we need multiple but it would be great to have one deadly 40% shooter that teams have to account for. The other guards/wings can be those 34-36% guys.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes but just having one guy like Loyer or a prolific 3pt shooter will draw defense attention as well…kinda like Steph does and defense will over help on him or he pulls attention his way and that opens up lanes and shots for everyone else. I don’t think we need multiple but it would be great to have one deadly 40% shooter that teams have to account for. The other guards/wings can be those 34-36% guys.

Loyer gets a lot of credit, and he is a marksman, but did you know he wasn't the highest % shooter they had. 

They both shot comparable volumes of 3s, but Loyer was 44% and Gillis was a 47% shooter.  Right on his heels was Smith at 43%. 

It really wasn't any one of them vs another. It was the fact that they had those 3 plus Jones that could all knock them down regularly when the ball came back out from Edey.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DWB said:

I wouldn't care if his name is Fred Freeps if he can hit 39%-41% from three and take a stance on defense. So far, we're O-for. (Mac doesn't count because he's already here, and he's only 1. We need 3-4 in the rotation IMO)

I can't seem to find ol Freddie in any database...

Anybody else? 😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If you look at the first 25 games Rice played in, he's a 33% 3PT shooter.  After that point was clearly the freshman wall, but up to that point, he was respectable and took more 3s than Reneau and Leal combined, so it's not exactly limited volume.

Carlyle is also a 32% shooter on the same volume of Rice's first 25 games. 

That puts us up to 3, and if Reneau has shown at least a little bit of ability in that department, that's what I'd be having him focus on in the offseason. 

Is it an "OMG" level transformation? No, but I think it's an upgrade with a lot of upside. 

Not saying we’ll be worse than last year shooting wise. That’d be pretty tough to do.

With Rice he very well could’ve hit a freshman wall, or maybe he just regressed to what his true shooting ability is. I don’t know, but if we only get 33% by ignoring some of his bad games, that tells me he has some improvements to make with his shot. I think it was Tony Adragna mentioned some of his synergy stats on other shot types weren’t particularly good either. His FT% was good, so hopefully that’s a sign he has a good touch. But as it currently stands, it seems like his strength offensively is attacking the rim and creating for others. Hopefully the shooting develops, but it makes me a little nervous to rely on that. I really like the rest of his game though.

I do think relying on Rice and Carlyle to improve their shooting to the 34%+ range from 3 is doable and an easier ask than what we needed last year. I was just pointing out that we don’t have anyone on the roster, even including Carlyle if he commits, who was able to maintain a 33% clip from 3 on reasonably high volume for a full year last year.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

3 to 4 40% 3 point shooters? I would say most conferences don't even have that.   Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

3 to 4 40% 3 point shooters? I would say most conferences don't even have that.   Lol

Uhhh i hate repeating myself. I have posted the subsequent multiple times here, but when i see the same thing over and over.

It's truly unrealistic to have 3-4 40% 3 pt shooters in rotation when only, I think the number was, 37 players in all of D1 basketball shot the ball at 40% or higher with volume (3 attempts/game or more)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Uhhh i hate repeating myself. I have posted the subsequent multiple times here, but when i see the same thing over and over.

It's truly unrealistic to have 3-4 40% 3 pt shooters in rotation when only, I think the number was, 37 players in all of D1 basketball shot the ball at 40% or higher with volume (3 attempts/game or more)

I think some still think of the 3-point line like it's the same line/shooting percentages upon inception. The defense is better plus you have the whole IT'S 3FT FURTHER!!  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think some still think of the 3-point line like it's the same line/shooting percentages upon inception. The defense is better plus you have the whole IT'S 3FT FURTHER!! lol... idk. Makes it difficult to discuss. 

I still fall into that sometimes myself. Heck 5 years ago, you could almost throw a rock and hit 2 40% 3 pt shooters. They just dont exist anymore. to have 1 is a godsend.

I think 10 of 37 players were P5 players.

• Like 1

Some interesting numbers...

Of the top 10 3 point percentage shooters in D1, 4 played in a P6 conference this year...

Antonio Reeves shot 45% at Kentucky this year...as a freshman at Illinois State he shot 31%... sophomore? 30% 

Mark Sears shot 44% for Alabama last year...as a freshman at Ohio U he shot 28% 

Boo Buie shot 43% for Northwestern...as a freshman he shot 28% 

Jamison Battle shot 43% at Ohio State last year... previously, he was a 35% shooter for his career...

So to me, thinking Rice, Mgbako, and possibly Carlyle go 35% or higher doesn't seem like much of a stretch...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

36 in all of D1.  11 from "power" conferences.  Does shooting skill translate from a mid-major program to a bigger program? More than likely, but getting your shot doesn't always. 

Edit: And only two programs with more than one: UNC Greensboro and Arkansas-Pine Bluff

5 hours ago, DWB said:

So how many players actually shot over 40% this year in college basketball 

• Like 1

I think what I’m getting at is you don’t need a whole team that shoots like that. A few adequate shooters yes but even if you have one great shooter that draws attention of the defense and if you run them off screens for looks and the defense is jumping out on them that opens up back cuts and space for others.