Oumar Ballo, Commits to INDIANA

Is this guy as good as Ware? (probably not)

So we're now gonna see 2 bigs playing together again, "inside (and hopefully) out". I'll believe it when I see a 4 out 1 in game with 3 shooters on the perimeter. (from IU that is)

So far I'm under whelmed with the committed recruits. Not a huge step forward IMO. If MM gets hurt we got NO shooters on the perimeter.

Cupps: No.     Gallo: No.      Newton: Unknown.     Rice: Not any better than Gallo.

You guys can celebrate all you want. Good for you. But I'm with-holding my excitement until I see the product on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

No.  But it makes the A's 3 titles and the Reds 2 more impressive.

To people who know the history of baseball, sure...

But to everybody else, they're just as shiny as the other 25...

And there are some parallels...free agency was relatively new to baseball during that time, and the Yankees scouting/farm system wasn't what it had been... Steinbrenner used the system to build a team quickly...just like we (hopefully) have...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

So we're now gonna see 2 bigs playing together again, "inside (and hopefully) out". I'll believe it when I see a 4 out 1 in game with 3 shooters on the perimeter. (from IU that is)

So far I'm under whelmed with the committed recruits. Not a huge step forward IMO. If MM gets hurt we got NO shooters on the perimeter.

Cupps: No.     Gallo: No.      Newton: Unknown.     Rice: Not any better than Gallo.

You guys can celebrate all you want. Good for you. But I'm with-holding my excitement until I see the product on the floor.

Completely valid to withhold excitement until we see how CMW uses the pieces he's assembling.

However, to be underwhelmed with the addition of two top players in the transfer portal (of which one is rated #1 by many) is a bit of a head-scratcher. Both players fill a need and the staff isn't done. There' still four more spots (with one likely already being filled by a talented scoring guard).

Edited by MoyeCowbell
missing word
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Granted, he doesn't have an arm load of tattoos, but that's cool by me. Just put the ball in the hoop and all will be cool.

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DWB said:

I don’t really see how Ballo + Rice + Tucker can be considered underwhelming. Do we still need more guards and shooting? Yes. But Rice will be the best guard we’ve had since Romeo, Ballo is one of the few portal guys who can actually match Ware’s production, and Tucker seems like he should be able to slot into the rotation. We still need more, but that’s a solid start imo.

Edited by Kdug
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, DWB said:

Watch him make TJD his beotch in these highlights. He is different then Ware for sure. better motor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

To people who know the history of baseball, sure...

But to everybody else, they're just as shiny as the other 25...

And there are some parallels...free agency was relatively new to baseball during that time, and the Yankees scouting/farm system wasn't what it had been... Steinbrenner used the system to build a team quickly...just like we (hopefully) have...

This would make a great thread on it's own.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm as hard as they come on this staff but to not see this team is better than last by just adding the 3 guys so far along with 5 of 6 gone. you are mistaken my friend. If they keep adding this kind of talent with the last 4 schollys, look out. Woodson might fall into a Big Ten banner.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, DWB said:

That’s it, im done. I’m gonna go get drunk and binge listen to Alanis Morriset jagged little pill all night long. 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, DWB said:

Bella will be equal or better defensively. Provides rim protection. Ware got pushed around a little on the inside and was ok not great in the pick n roll. Ware’s length was his greatest asset. 

Bello is a better rebounder on both ends. That’s a huge plus 

Ware better offensively by a big margin. But Bello should be equally as effective on the roll. not going to shoot 3s. Ware better in the post and gave up. Bello is probably not going to be asked to do a lot of posting up 

Big plus Rice and Carlye and Galloway (if he commits) we will be and can run the offense and create. This will give us more of perimeter attack. Exactly what all the fans want. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Watch him make TJD his beotch in these highlights. He is different then Ware for sure. better motor.

I remember I hated the guy and the rest of that AZ team. Thought they were thugs and punks. As long as it isn’t stupid cheap shots like XJ, this team could use some intimidation factor 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DWB said:

Yesterday we had one big on the roster. Today we improved that position by adding the best center available. I don't understand the complaint. Ballo only plays ~25 minutes. Reneau can pile on fouls in a hurry. We're going to need both these guys, even if we fill out the rest of the roster with four Steph Currys. Indiana got better today, even if the job's not done.

• Like 9

All you guys make good points. No doubt the recruits we've got committed are talented. But talent doesn't equate to winning. 

I've been listening to Rabjohns on a podcast and he's saying IU's still going after yet another, big man. that would give us 3 bigs. All talented, all productive, but if don't have anybody that can stretch the floor, defenses will just clog the lane.

It's nice to see all you guys saying I'm wrong. Honestly hope you're right. But jury is still out for me on how productive and wins we get next year.

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

All you guys make good points. No doubt the recruits we've got committed are talented. But talent doesn't equate to winning. 

I've been listening to Rabjohns on a podcast and he's saying IU's still going after yet another, big man. that would give us 3 bigs. All talented, all productive, but if don't have anybody that can stretch the floor, defenses will just clog the lane.

It's nice to see all you guys saying I'm wrong. Honestly hope you're right. But jury is still out for me on how productive and wins we get next year.

MR is not a 5. he cant rebound at the 5, he cant defend a 5. We need a back up to Ballo. Malone is the guy. he can shoot 3's as well. The staff is building a roster for once. let it play out, i was told once or twice. ha.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 3