2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The only problem is that if you're desperate for a quarterback six other teams are going to take a quarterback in front of you so you're going to get the 7th projected quarterback in the draft picking number one in the second round. that's the problem

That should not matter because you need to get the best players on your team and not just the best player at a position of need.  Say you pick the QB and is a bust then you are stuck with him for at least 3 years and then you will be watching a player like Young making Pro b/owls every year.  Unless the QB is a can't miss prospect and is worthy of being a top pick then I would not just pick a QB at #1 just because you need one.  Go get a veteran QB as a stop gap until you can actually find you franchise QB.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That should not matter because you need to get the best players on your team and not just the best player at a position of need.  Say you pick the QB and is a bust then you are stuck with him for at least 3 years and then you will be watching a player like Young making Pro b/owls every year.  Unless the QB is a can't miss prospect and is worthy of being a top pick then I would not just pick a QB at #1 just because you need one.  Go get a veteran QB as a stop gap until you can actually find you franchise QB.

There's no such thing as a "can't miss prospect." No one can with100% accuracy predict how a college kid's game is going to translate to the pros.

And there are just as many 1st round busts at positions other than QB.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I do agree generally with the premise to not go chasing players. But you better be real good at developing Talent having a good plan if you're picking the 7th Prospect in the draft.

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I do agree generally with the premise to not go chasing players. But you better be real good at developing Talent having a good plan if you're picking the 7th Prospect in the draft.

What I am saying is if you are picking say 3 and need a QB but on your board the top QB is ranked 17th do you pick him that high.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What I am saying is if you are picking say 3 and need a QB but on your board the top QB is ranked 17th do you pick him that high.

probably too big of a stretch.  The good thing is are that the colts are going to be right in the middle so they won't really be reaching taking one of the 6.  Most likely they will be rolling out with Brissett next year while developing the rookie and then hope for the best.  Who knows.  #tankingfortrevor may take place next year but I think they are too good to tank.  

45 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

probably too big of a stretch.  The good thing is are that the colts are going to be right in the middle so they won't really be reaching taking one of the 6.  Most likely they will be rolling out with Brissett next year while developing the rookie and then hope for the best.  Who knows.  #tankingfortrevor may take place next year but I think they are too good to tank.  

If the last 6 games are an indicator they are not too good at anything but losing

Just my two cents. If the Bengals don't draft a QB it would be the most Bengals thing ever. They moved on from Dalton, they didn't trade AJ before deadline....the list can go on and on but if you don't address the most valuable position on a football team 7 wins is the highest you could expect. I mean look at the Texans. They took Clowney. Ended up trading him. Texans didn't get better (even with a crap defense) until a kid named Watson came along.

Young is phenomenal no doubt but you no way you take him over a QB you believe is the answer. Or maybe they try a novel concept like identifying 2-3 QB's they really like and keep trading down until they know they can secure 1 of those 2-3 while getting many, many picks in return. Colts did it with Jets. Dividends will pay off for them for years to come when they can finally get healthy. 

34 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Seems I remember the experts were saying Luck was a "can't miss".....

The only 2 I can remember that there were no real "concerns" with were Luck and Elway. Both from Stanford, and both did well. Luck's not a HOFer, but he was good when he was in there.

My point is, though, that the "experts" (as well as team scouts) are wrong both ways, undervaluing as well as overvaluing, prospects. Everyone thought Tony Mandarich was going to be the greatest lineman in NFL history, and Marino was the last QB drafted in the 1st round of the 83 draft.

If I needed a QB, and I had the first pick, even if we had someone at another position rated higher, I'd go with the QB, simply because, as S6 said, it's the most important position on the field.

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You don't think the injuries had anything to do with that?  What, 6 of the top 8 pass options injured?  

I'm ok with a #tankfortrevor

yes and no. All but new Orleans we still put our self in position to win and could not close the deal. No tanking. Too much talent to do so but if they do please inform the fans so that we can stay home and put our money to good use. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

yes and no. All but new Orleans we still put our self in position to win and could not close the deal. No tanking. Too much talent to do so but if they do please inform the fans so that we can stay home and put our money to good use. 

Knowing the Colts they will drop hints that luck is back all summer to sell tickets

59 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm with you.  Honestly with everyone healthy and a decent kicker,  that's still a 10 win team, maybe better.  Now they get a chance to get even better this off season.  And yes that is with Brissett.  

When do you draft a q.b?  

When there is a QB is there at the spot that you think can be your franchise QB.  Don't reach for one just to pick a QB which will hurt your organization more than not picking a QB.  right now I think the Colts would be picking 13th and if there is a QB there that they like then pick him but I am not a big fan of this years QB class.

5 hours ago, rico said:

One thing I do know is that the NFL has not been kind to Heisman winning QB's so far...

37 QBs have won the trophy, but there are only 2 Heisman winning QBs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and one of them didn't play the position in the pros...

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If the team's #1 need is QB, but the top QB in this particular draft is only around #17 and you're picking #3......simple.  If you think he still has the makings of a franchise QB.....trade down.  Drop to #10, pick up 1 or 2 later round picks and still get your guy. 

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Jackson?

A little too early, but of the current crop of Heisman QB winners in consideration, he's putting up the best numbers.

I thought Cam Newton was headed that way, but he's kinda been flamed out by injuries. 

Two longshots that might eventually get consideration: Carson Palmer and Jim Plunkett. I'm talking Old Timers committee if there's no one else worthy...

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A little too early, but of the current crop of Heisman QB winners in consideration, he's putting up the best numbers.

I thought Cam Newton was headed that way, but he's kinda been flamed out by injuries. 

Two longshots that might eventually get consideration: Carson Palmer and Jim Plunkett. I'm talking Old Timers committee if there's no one else worthy...

Palmer to me is the poster child for the "Hall of Very Good". If he hadn't taken that hit vs Pittsburgh in the playoffs, pretty sure he'd be in the HOF. But he lost a little of his edge after that, mentally moreso than physically. Took him until Arizona to get it back.

Great player.....just shy of the HOF though.

Archived