Gannon vs IU post game

I didn’t get watch it but listened some.  Looking at the box score and listening to Fisch, I love what Franklin did.  A little of this and a little of that.  He scored, had boards, and assists.  One negative was TO’s but we are talking about a freshman who was given a heavy load with a couple of key ball handlers limited or out.  We know he has defensive potential.  

I posted this in the game thread, but Fisch and Erick Suhr were very complimentary of Smith, almost with surprise (but delighted). 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

If Franklin keeps it up, there could be somewhat of a steady 4 player rotation. And every once in a while Anderson can step in.

Franklin really impressed me last night. He just looked very and steady and confident for a Freshman. I think the kid is going to get minutes and I'm hoping the performance last night wasn't one of those random 'freshman fool's gold' performances. 

You mean like Curtis Jones???  Dws

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me it would be hard to tell Al he will come off the bench since he has been playing better than anyone so far this year.

Nothing wrong with him taking on the sixth man role, being the lead guard off the bench to replace the 1, 2 or 3. He can be a scorer and steading influence for the second unit.

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He would be the 3. Plain and simple. He would run sets and offense as the 3. Now will he be looked at to shoot a 3 every possession? No but in that lineup he would be the 3 on offense and likely guard the 3 for the other team. 3/wing/small forward it doesn't matter how you state it it's the same position. Not every team makes that person make decisons and shoot most do but not all. It doesn't matter if he posts up the other teams 3 every possession. He is still playing as the 3 in the lineup. So many people here are expecting the 3 to be a go to perimeter scorer or point forward type and that isn't always the case. I could pull up examples with video clips but that is a lot of work and unnecessary. I think. 

We're obviously having this discussion from two different places, which is completely fine. I love these types of discussions. We're getting into the X's and O's stuff which I love discussing. 

If you want to call him a 3 in a lineup of Brunk, TJD, Smith, Green, Phinisee, fine, I'll agree to call him the 3. But, I'm not really too concerned about the label of the position as I am how the player is being used. i don't really buy into the traditional 1,2,3,4,5 in 2019. It's more guard, wings, forwards, bigs. In the two years I've watched Archie Miller at IU the "3" (I call it the wing) has been a ball-handling, play-making and decision making role. Also, in the two years I've watching Archie at IU he has yet to put Justin Smith in that role. Smith has exclusively been a forward his first two years. 

What I'm saying is that at least to what he's shown in his first two years, Smith is not equipped to play the wing (3) in the offense as Archie has run it at IU to this point, unless Smith has improved a great deal which is entirely possible. 

If what I'm gathering is correct, you're saying Smith will be playing a 3 spot in the offense, but it will be in a revamped or tweaked system that Archie will implement based on this seasons personnel and Smith's capabilities to play that position? Do I have that right?

If that's the case, then I think that's fantastic, and as I've said I love a coach that can tweak based on his personnel. But, what I've said consistently is that Smith will not thrive, unless he's improved considerably, in the wing (3) spot in the offense we've seen Archie run his first two years. The offense will have to change based on what we've seen the first two years, which again I think is a good sign. 

14 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Starting Lineup: Phinisee, Green, Smith, Jackson-Davis, and Brunk

Bench 1's and 2's: Durham, Franklin, and Anderson

Bench 3's: Hunter, Anderson, and Franklin

Bench 4's: Thompson 

Bench 5: Davis

Starters could be used with certain bench lineups to fill positional need. 

I agree. I think this is our best lineup based upon what we have seen so far. Maybe Al or Hunter will move into the starting lineup if Green or Smith leave the door open...

I particularly like the defense this combination can provide. We have seen Rob make life difficult for elite PGs (Winston). Green can be a plus defender when focused and given limited minutes and quality backups pushing for his time, I think he will. Same for JS- plus he can defend multiple positions. I think TJDs athleticism will help him overcome some freshman mistakes. He had some big blocks last night and should be very valuable as a help defender. Brunk brings size and experience in the post. With CAM preaching D, I'm hoping we can see a top 10 or 20 Defense.

I think our main concern will still be scoring. I can see some droughts until these guys get healthy and settle into their roles. 

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I love how people always think Davis is going to be in better shape. He just doesn't have a great body type. Also I believe Coach SS alluded to him not playing as much a while back because of his conditioning or something to that affect. 

I have followed De'Ron closely since 8th grade. And I love the heck out of him.  Having said that. Conditioning has always been a concern of mine.  I recall going to games at Overland High School, where instead of sitting on the bench, when not playing in a game, he would go to a raised stretcher laid out at the end of the bench. And lay there till Coach called him in. When De'Ron first came to IU , I talked about my concerns about his conditioning.

I don't know what the issue/issues were or are. I do know, that since coming to IU. De'Ron has made a concerted effort to work on his diet and conditioning.  And it has shown, as he has lost weight, an has bulked up muscle wise.

I pray that De'Ron gets through an entire season injury free, and is the best Hoosier he can be.

I'm glad Smith is showing some improvement, but we have to wait and see what happens against better teams.  Franklin is impressing.  Biggest concern is Hunter.  Many of us were hoping he would be the "missing piece", but so far, either he is afraid to step up, or he really is just not ready yet.  When BIG season rolls around, we may really need him to become the player he originally was supposed to be.

12 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I'm glad Smith is showing some improvement, but we have to wait and see what happens against better teams.  Franklin is impressing.  Biggest concern is Hunter.  Many of us were hoping he would be the "missing piece", but so far, either he is afraid to step up, or he really is just not ready yet.  When BIG season rolls around, we may really need him to become the player he originally was supposed to be.

Hunter just isnt ready yet. He looked plenty aggressive to me... its just going to take some time. And hes probably pressing more than he should right now 

13 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Hunter is working himself back into game shape and form. It's the first exhibition game. It's way, way, way too early to be concerned, at all, with his game, imo. We should expect it's going to take time for a guy who hasn't played in a year.

Where he is in a month or so is going to tell us more, I'd bank on him continuing to improve over the course of the season. I'm definitely one who thinks he has very high potential -- and am hoping he has his full game back by mid-season or so. 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I agree. I think this is our best lineup based upon what we have seen so far. Maybe Al or Hunter will move into the starting lineup if Green or Smith leave the door open...

I particularly like the defense this combination can provide. We have seen Rob make life difficult for elite PGs (Winston). Green can be a plus defender when focused and given limited minutes and quality backups pushing for his time, I think he will. Same for JS- plus he can defend multiple positions. I think TJDs athleticism will help him overcome some freshman mistakes. He had some big blocks last night and should be very valuable as a help defender. Brunk brings size and experience in the post. With CAM preaching D, I'm hoping we can see a top 10 or 20 Defense.

I think our main concern will still be scoring. I can see some droughts until these guys get healthy and settle into their roles. 

After watching last night, Hunter has a long way to go before he should be considered for the starting lineup.....which is totally understandable.  I think we are going to see a lot of "good/bad" Hunter this year, at least the early part of the season.  If we can get Green, Al and RP healthy and keep AF playing well then hopefully we can get some good size leads with some of our early games and let Hunter just get out and play.  Take the ball and try to make plays, shoot some 3's even if they haven't been going in.  All of this within the offense and still concentrating on defense but with all I've heard of Hunter, I think he's guna be shaky until Christmas or so then it'll all start to click n' he'll blow up n' ball out.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hate to ask this but there has been like 3 threads and hard to go through them all. We knew Rob had and abdominal strain and Green a hamstring but what kept Al out last night?

In the post game presser either Damezi or Justin referred to Al's "knee thing" that happened in the last week

Hate to be that guy for an exhibition game we won by 30, but there was some truly awful officiating in that game. There was a foul on Race (it might have been TJD) where he did have his arms at an angle to contest a shot in the lane, but there was never actually any contact. A traveling call on Franklin early on also seemed wholly unwarranted. There were several others that seemed beyond iffy, but those two were some of the worst I have seen. 

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Hate to be that guy for an exhibition game we won by 30, but there was some truly awful officiating in that game. There was a foul on Race (it might have been TJD) where he did have his arms at an angle to contest a shot in the lane, but there was never actually any contact. A traveling call on Franklin early on also seemed wholly unwarranted. There were several others that seemed beyond iffy, but those two were some of the worst I have seen. 

I'm sorry to say but you are that guy. Just put those bad calls behind you and praise the win.

I remember when I was a freshman in Foster Martin and a certain young lady made sweet, sweet love to me.  Now I am humble and understand that I may not have been the best lover at that point in my life...and to be honest  she wasn't that good either...but the bottom line was that we both ended up happy and how we got there really didn't matter so for the last 30 years I have used that as the bar for my critiques.😀 We got a happy endings and that's what matters! Be happy for the happy endings.

22 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I'm sorry to say but you are that guy. Just put those bad calls behind you and praise the win.

I remember when I was a freshman in Foster Martin and a certain young lady made sweet, sweet live to me.  Now I am humble and understand that I may not have been the best lover at that point int my life...and to be honest , she wasn't that good either...but the bottom line was that we both ended up happy and how we got there really didn't matter so for the last 30 years I have used that as the bar for my critiques.😀

You're just upset she nicknamed you 'Tiny':coffee:  

Archived