2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Normally I would say to keep him. I don't like to be overreact, but when you have Vrabel and Belichick out there, I think you have to take a shot. 

I want Jerry to fire MMC and get Vrabel. Or maybe let him coach one more year and get Tomlin next offseason, if Mike doesn’t extend his deal. 

Jerry’s main problem is Dak isn’t the guy, if you want to go to Super Bowls. But, they have to redo his contract this offseason or swallow a $60 million cap number for 2024. Which would mean cutting several good players. 

9 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I want Jerry to fire MMC and get Vrabel. Or maybe let him coach one more year and get Tomlin next offseason, if Mike doesn’t extend his deal. 

Jerry’s main problem is Dak isn’t the guy, if you want to go to Super Bowls. But, they have to redo his contract this offseason or swallow a $60 million cap number for 2024. Which would mean cutting several good players. 

Well that Dallas defense didn't help the cause.

36 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Yeah, I think Vrabel is the guy. I'm usually more patient with coaches, but I wouldn't hate it if the Eagles moved from Siriani and hired Vrabel. 

I don't understand the media pushing Belichick to Dallas. I don't think that makes any sense given how the Jones' run football operations. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think Vrabel is the guy. I'm usually more patient with coaches, but I wouldn't hate it if the Eagles moved from Siriani and hired Vrabel. 

I don't understand the media pushing Belichick to Dallas. I don't think that makes any sense given how the Jones' run football operations. 

Would be a media circus.  Would be great if they could have cameras in all closed meetings.  Belichick and the great mind of Jerry Jones.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Would be a media circus.  Would be great if they could have cameras in all closed meetings.  Belichick and the great mind of Jerry Jones.  

Could you imagine Belichick's head exploding every time Jerry Jones ran his mouth to the media?

Jones literally meets with the media after every game like he's a coach. 

There is no way Belichick would deal with that. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Could you imagine Belichick's head exploding every time Jerry Jones ran his mouth to the media?

Reports I am reading this morning suggest that Belichek and Atlanta have much mutual interest.

Also, Jason Kelce reportedly telling his teammates that he is retiring.

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Reports I am reading this morning suggest that Belichek and Atlanta have much mutual interest.

Also, Jason Kelce reportedly telling his teammates that he is retiring.

Yeah, the Belichick to Atlanta noise seems pretty loud. I'd curious to see if Belichick waits to see what else opens. 

I get that Atlanta is in a weak division, but there's no QB and while he'd make them better, I don't think that's a contending roster yet. 

Yup, sounds like Kelce is hanging them up. Big loss. The guy was a stuf for 13 years. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

If they can fire Pederson they can fire Siriani. Seems like that 49ers game broke the  team or maybe it was just injuries and other things we've discussed.

For some reason I'm just not high on Vrabel and amongst my friends I'm in the minority. Never won a playoff game and won the AFC by default because the Colts, Jags, and Texans all stunk. I don't know. Could be wrong. 

Hate it for Kelce but my guess is the timing is right. Make the transition with their show. The body is mostly intact and call it a HOF career.

Who handles Pitts personnel decisions? If it's Tomlin, maybe it's fair to ask about his contact, if it isn't?--- Tomlin has every right to walk out on that question by the reporter. Man is one of the most successful coaches in football's history, the 3rd best coach in this era... 

And if he didn't draft Najee in 1st (who I thought was a bust the whole time), Pickett (who wtf, how do you take him in the 1st), and Pickens (a complete head case).. I'm not sure why anyone would think to ask Tomlin that question. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who handles Pitts personnel decisions? If it's Tomlin, maybe it's fair to ask about his contact, if it isn't?--- Tomlin has every right to walk out on that question by the reporter. Man is one of the most successful coaches in football's history, the 3rd best coach in this era... 

And if he didn't draft Najee in 1st (who I thought was a bust the whole time), Pickett (who wtf, how do you take him in the 1st), and Pickens (a complete head case).. I'm not sure why anyone would think to ask Tomlin that question. 

I think the question to Tomlin was less about his job security and more about after all of this time in the same situation if he's thinking about walking away. 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I always wondered if Canada was pushing for/vouching for Pickett. 

5 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Jerry's main problem is Jerry. He needs to show some humility and actually turn over to football operation to an actual GM

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Jerry's main problem is Jerry. He needs to show some humility and actually turn over to football operation to an actual GM

I don’t know if it’s humility, or if he just can’t stand not being in the middle of it. He hated every minute of Parcells being in charge of everything.

He doesn’t want to watch someone else play with his toy - HE wants to play with his toy. 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

But honestly, he isn't doing a terrible job as GM. I'm sure he's hovering over the shoulder of every coach and player, which is probably the issue.

But as far as roster building and drafting, it's hard to argue that they have a ton of talent on the team.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BGleas said:

Jerry gives out more injury info in one of his weekly Dallas sports radio hits than Belichick gave out in 24 years as the Pats coach. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ephul said:

But honestly, he isn't doing a terrible job as GM. I'm sure he's hovering over the shoulder of every coach and player, which is probably the issue.

But as far as roster building and drafting, it's hard to argue that they have a ton of talent on the team.

But they’re not accountable to the coach. The star players are all buddies with Jerry, so it’s a country club culture. That wasn’t the case when Jimmy and Parcells were there. 

And Will McClay is the real talent evaluator/GM. If his son moves away for college, he’ll likely take an actual GM job somewhere.