2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And I don't know what the best strategy is anymore. Colts are far enough away from Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, shoot even the Jaguars, Dolphins, Chargersetc....so maybe going the drafting route and ready to pounce in a few years is the train of thought? It's not like the Colts roster is just a QB away. 

Levis has a cannon for sure but if I walk away from the draft as a Colts fan with just Levis I'm not expecting much for a few years and that's where I think Irsay enters the picture. That dude wants to win and compete this year. No way is he wanting another rebuild. Now it just comes down to comp for Lamar. 2 #1's in 24 and 25 I would be fine with. Of course the Ravens want this years 4th pick and that's where the negotiation comes in. 

If you are going to wait a year. Get the kid from Tennessee. 55 TD, 8 int's. 69% comp. %. A guy on the NFL radio thought if he didnt stand flat footed in the pocket he would be the best QB coming out. I thought hell a few weeks bouncing on his toes would fix that.

• Like 1

Since we are 3 weeks from the draft and wanted to ask others on their thought on this scenario.

Say Stroud and Young go 1,2 and someone trades up to 3 and take Richardson. Say you have Levis as the #23 prospect on your big board and have Carter and Anderson as 1,2 on your board.  Do you really take the #23 prospect over the top 2 prospects at 4.  I would take one of the top 2 prospects because I want the BPA over taking a QB just because you need a QB.  I have seen to many teams overreach for a QB and those teams are constantly picking at the top of the draft. IE: Jets and Browns 

• rico changed the title to 2023 NFL Discussion
33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hurts signs the big deal. My only question---- will the prima donnas-- Murray, Rodgers, Lamar, and Watson be able to handle the idea of someone making more money then them? 

Stay tuned on Days of the NFL Off-Season

And one of the most successful cold marketing DM's of all time his agent (Nicole Lynn) just shot him a DM on Insta when he was done at Bama and asked him if he had an agent...if not could they link up. The rest is history.

In terms of Hurts I'm becoming more and more of a fan. Dude took his benching in title game at Bama. Fell to #53 which turned out to be a blessing because he was eligible for the big payday sooner. Just bet on himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

And one of the most successful cold marketing DM's of all time his agent (Nicole Lynn) just shot him a DM on Insta when he was done at Bama and asked him if he had an agent...if not could they link up. The rest is history.

In terms of Hurts I'm becoming more and more of a fan. Dude took his benching in title game at Bama. Fell to #53 which turned out to be a blessing because he was eligible for the big payday sooner. Just bet on himself.

I like Hurts, at least for now. I used to like Kyler and Rodgers, used to love Watson. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I like Hurts, at least for now. I used to like Kyler and Rodgers, used to love Watson. 

Pretty similar. Loved Watson and still ticked at my Bears for that mistake. Never was a Kyler guy at all. Rodgers has grown on me over the years but out of all of them Watson was the one I liked most.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty similar. Loved Watson and still ticked at my Bears for that mistake. Never was a Kyler guy at all. Rodgers has grown on me over the years but out of all of them Watson was the one I liked most.

I liked Kylers game plus he sat behind Baker and decided not to transfer, I liked that. Fastest dude on the field, Top 10 MLB draft pick in CF, considered the best HS Tex football player ever... but then you watch him, going at Kliff Kingsbury multiple times, multiple pouting incidents, etc. 

Although, can't blame him for the COD obsession. I'm right there with him hahaha

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I liked Kylers game plus he sat behind Baker and decided not to transfer, I liked that. Fastest dude on the field, Top 10 MLB draft pick in CF, considered the best HS Tex football player ever... but then you watch him, going at Kliff Kingsbury multiple times, multiple pouting incidents, etc. 

Although, can't blame him for the COD obsession. I'm right there with him hahaha

That's a generous interpretation of Kyler Murray's time at Oklahoma.

He transferred there and had to sit - sure he could have transferred a second time and sat again (this was pre-portal), but it wasn't like he really had a choice in the matter when Baker came back for his senior year. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

That's a generous interpretation of Kyler Murray's time at Oklahoma.

He transferred there and had to sit - sure he could have transferred a second time and sat again (this was pre-portal), but it wasn't like he really had a choice in the matter when Baker came back for his senior year. 

He was still an absolute stud lol 

He could have gotten a waiver, they pretty regularly hand those out. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He was still an absolute stud lol 

He could have gotten a waiver, they pretty regularly hand those out. 

They didn't really hand them out back then though. Generally speaking, if you weren't a grad transfer you were sitting prior to the portal. Times are very different now. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They didn't really hand them out back then though. Generally speaking, if you weren't a grad transfer you were sitting prior to the portal. Times are very different now. 

Plenty of kids got waivers in the transfer process, even 5 years ago. A high profile kid like him wouldn't have had any problems skewing the system. 

But, I don't actually care. He was a stud and I loved his game.. and I was a big fan, until learning more about him, which .... that was the entire point of my post... not transfer part.

Edited by btownqb

On 4/7/2023 at 5:58 PM, IU Scott said:

Since we are 3 weeks from the draft and wanted to ask others on their thought on this scenario.

Say Stroud and Young go 1,2 and someone trades up to 3 and take Richardson. Say you have Levis as the #23 prospect on your big board and have Carter and Anderson as 1,2 on your board.  Do you really take the #23 prospect over the top 2 prospects at 4.  I would take one of the top 2 prospects because I want the BPA over taking a QB just because you need a QB.  I have seen to many teams overreach for a QB and those teams are constantly picking at the top of the draft. IE: Jets and Browns 

I think you just treat the QB position differently.  I think Levis physically is a legit high end QB prospect and QB's will always be a priority.      Levis played on a team void of talent around him in the deepest conference in CFB while Stroud and Young played for top 5 powers with OL's and weapons all over the place.  Didn't Dolphins take Tua over Herbert because Herbert had an underwhelming final season at Oregon?    Lions took Okudah just before those 2 and he has now been traded to Atlanta.  Detroit looks on the rise. I'd probably try to get Hooker later in draft if possible but if were a Colts fan would not be disappointed in Levis.  

Now the RB position is devalued and Bijon Robinson is clearly top 10 talent in this draft and looks to be a next generational RB who can probably play a lot as a receiver too.   Is he really going to fall to the 20s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

I think you just treat the QB position differently.  I think Levis physically is a legit high end QB prospect and QB's will always be a priority.      Levis played on a team void of talent around him in the deepest conference in CFB while Stroud and Young played for top 5 powers with OL's and weapons all over the place.  Didn't Dolphins take Tua over Herbert because Herbert had an underwhelming final season at Oregon?    Lions took Okudah just before those 2 and he has now been traded to Atlanta.  Detroit looks on the rise. I'd probably try to get Hooker later in draft if possible but if were a Colts fan would not be disappointed in Levis.  

Now the RB position is devalued and Bijon Robinson is clearly top 10 talent in this draft and looks to be a next generational RB who can probably play a lot as a receiver too.   Is he really going to fall to the 20s. 

No doubt Bijon is getting all the talk...deservedly so. I'm a big Jahmyr Gibbs believer though and I think some really good team is going to end up with him in late first...or you might have someone trade back to get him early second. 

Caught 60 balls out of the backfield at Georgia Tech (they never throw) and caught 44 for Bama this past year. I could see anyone of the usual suspects like Chiefs, Bills, Bengals...shoot even the Eagles taking him and flourishing right away.

If I were in one of those dynasty fantasy leagues he'd be someone I'd jump on. 

9 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Mostly agree. I cannot agree with the Hooker thing, though. 

I watched more Tennessee football then anyone the last 2 years. I just don't see the translation, especially being 25, almost 26 and coming off a major injury in Nov. 

The stuff about Levis and Herbert though, I very much agree with. Levis might be Daniel Jones ish. 

Edited by btownqb

I see Hooker as a Troy Smith. JMO 

He's a VERY good person though and excellent teammate. I wouldn't take him before the 4th with the injury and age. I do think he can be a Teddy Bridgewater type backup. 

Again, my opinion, but if he's thrown 632 pass attempts at Tennessee... I've seen 600 of them and 70 of them in person. 

Heupel runs GOOOOD stuff at UT offensively. He toys with people. Hendon, undoubtedly, benefit from that.  

Plus-- though it wasn't healthy and together, much... they had an unbelievable WR core. 

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Mostly agree. I cannot agree with the Hooker thing, though. 

I watched more Tennessee football then anyone the last 2 years. I just don't see the translation, especially being 25, almost 26 and coming off a major injury in Nov. 

The stuff about Levis and Herbert though, I very much agree with. Levis might be Daniel Jones ish. 

Fair enough on Hooker.  I've only seen a couple of his games this past season and he looked like a legit prospect. I wasnt necesarily indicating to take him in round 1 but what if he is sitting in the 3rd or 4th round like Dak or Ridder and colts took a non QB at 4?  I know the jury is out on Ridder but we'll find out this year. 

• Like 1

Seems like there is a lot of smoke that Houston will not take a QB at two. I have seen it hat from Schefter and a couple of other outlets. JMV had Matt Miller on his show today and have the Colts taking Stroud at 4. They are hearing that there is not much interest in trading up to 2 or 3 for a QB. 

I say more than likely this is just one screens being put out there. I don't see either Houston taking a QB or someone not trading up for a QB.