2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I just am not sold, at all, on these dudes getting drafted this year. I understand the Lance worries about the contract.. but, Levis turns 24 in June, Stroud 22 in Oct, Richardson 21 in May... and Lance 23 in May. Just referencing how young he really was when he was drafted. Furthermore, I trust John Lynch about as much as I trust anyone.. He was the Day 1 starting QB last season on the most talent filled roster in the league. 

So if you trust John Lynch so much then why would you take a guy he doesn’t want to keep? He spent a fortune on the guy and he thinks a 7th rd pick with a “broken” arm and a qb on his 3rd team to back him up more than his top pick. To me that signals the guy isn’t worth continuing to invest in. I’m not saying he isn’t but I’d say the risk is about the same. Also we don’t have to draft AR15 or Levis at 4. We can always trade back and take them later or move up from the 2nd rd pick if we think they fall. I just think unless you have worked with Lance on that staff it is impossible to access if he is a franchise qb.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

So if you trust John Lynch so much then why would you take a guy he doesn’t want to keep? He spent a fortune on the guy and he thinks a 7th rd pick with a “broken” arm and a qb on his 3rd team to back him up more than his top pick. To me that signals the guy isn’t worth continuing to invest in. I’m not saying he isn’t but I’d say the risk is about the same. Also we don’t have to draft AR15 or Levis at 4. We can always trade back and take them later or move up from the 2nd rd pick if we think they fall. I just think unless you have worked with Lance on that staff it is impossible to access if he is a franchise qb.

I've mentioned I have no issue with trading back and taking one of those guys. None whatsoever. 

I love how you guys describe Purdy though lol ... "7th rd pick with a broken arm".... more like, absolute stud in the games he played in, and has a injury he will fully recover from...... that's how I'd describe him. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I've mentioned I have no issue with trading back and taking one of those guys. None whatsoever. 

I love how you guys describe Purdy though lol ... "7th rd pick with a broken arm".... more like, absolute stud in the games he played in, and has a injury he will fully recover from...... that's how I'd describe him. 

I think Purdy is a one hit wonder…I honestly do. He is Jimmy G 2.0. So no I dont understand getting rid of Lance unless he isn’t good enough to play over Purdy. If he isn’t good enough to beat Purdy out then I don’t want him. Plain and simple. Purdy was surrounded with the most loaded roster in football…I don’t care for his arm strength…I don’t think he can make all the throws. Can he game manage…sure thing…can he be the difference maker and carry a team…no imo. We’ve seen avg qbs play well in that system/team. So again…why give up on Lance when your current starter might be out for the whole season?? Why is SF in a rush to move him??

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think Purdy is a one hit wonder…I honestly do. He is Jimmy G 2.0. So no I dont understand getting rid of Lance unless he isn’t good enough to play over Purdy. If he isn’t good enough to beat Purdy out then I don’t want him. Plain and simple. Purdy was surrounded with the most loaded roster in football…I don’t care for his arm strength…I don’t think he can make all the throws. Can he game manage…sure thing…can he be the difference maker and carry a team…no imo. We’ve seen avg qbs play well in that system/team. So again…why give up on Lance when your current starter might be out for the whole season?? Why is SF in a rush to move him??

I think you're putting words into SFs mouth. I don't think they've mentioned they're for sure moving Lance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think you're putting words into SFs mouth. I don't think they've mentioned they're for sure moving Lance. 

Well then I’m totally confused by why he is even being mentioned. If they aren’t putting him on the trade block then he is irrelevant to the Colts conversation. If that is the case then yes they value him and your opinion of him and Lynch possibly has merit. My point is if SF is willing to move off him for a bag of chips likely signals his worth if they are so good at evaluating players. If they aren’t and we would have to give up #4 pick then maybe they think he is still the guy they thought he was then I can’t say I would make that move for him. Just as big a chance of him being a bust as AR15. Personally I’m in on Richardson because of who we have coaching him.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well then I’m totally confused by why he is even being mentioned. If they aren’t putting him on the trade block then he is irrelevant to the Colts conversation. If that is the case then yes they value him and your opinion of him and Lynch possibly has merit. My point is if SF is willing to move off him for a bag of chips likely signals his worth if they are so good at evaluating players. If they aren’t and we would have to give up #4 pick then maybe they think he is still the guy they thought he was then I can’t say I would make that move for him. Just as big a chance of him being a bust as AR15. Personally I’m in on Richardson because of who we have coaching him.

I said I liked AR the most out of the group of 4. 

The whole convo was completely hypothetical the entire time. All I mentioned was IF... IF we could get Lance and not give up "not much".. 

How is coming away with this draft with Anderson, Lance, and a Top 10 WR or Top 5 corner not a good draft/good place to start building? Idk. Just how I see it. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I said I liked AR the most out of the group of 4. 

The whole convo was completely hypothetical the entire time. All I mentioned was IF... IF we could get Lance and not give up "not much".. 

How is coming away with this draft with Anderson, Lance, and a Top 10 WR or Top 5 corner not a good draft/good place to start building? Idk. Just how I see it. 

Got it. My bad. I was just implying the only way we land Lance for peanuts is if the guy is probably worth peanuts…in that case we are still punting  on qb this year and will be looking to draft next. I’m not necessarily against that. After all I’m a Colts fan for the long haul…I’ve got job security in my fandom…Ballard may not be so fortunate to be in that position.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I watch a ton of UK games because of the wife. Loved Levis's game the first time I saw him. Could you imagine him standing all day with protection and throwing to wide open receivers like Young and Stroud did? Levis takes some overly aggressive risks at times, but he'll also sacrifice his body like Josh Allen to make a crucial play. Just a gamer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I watch a ton of UK games because of the wife. Loved Levis's game the first time I saw him. Could you imagine him standing all day with protection and throwing to wide open receivers like Young and Stroud did? Levis takes some overly aggressive risks at times, but he'll also sacrifice his body like Josh Allen to make a crucial play. Just a gamer. 

And that's the hardest part of evaluation of each QB. I remember Josh Allen falling behind Baker and Darnold in 18 draft because he only completed 55% of his passes at Wyoming and certainly not against great competition.

Was it the line? WR's bad routes? Drops....no clue. Same with this years draft. Each have plenty of pros but cons as well. Young is the only one to me that checks almost every box. Stroud after that. Levis I'd have to see more on. Honestly AR15 might have the most upside of any of them but he's so new to the position that by the time he figures it it might be 3 years. 

Fun week ahead. No matter what the NFL owns and our conversations year round.  

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 3:02 PM, thirdgenhoosier said:

This is exactly the kind of film I like to see.  Too often the guys on ESPN and NFL Network show film clips of Stroud and Young throwing to wide open guys with a clean pocket with zero analysis.  I really enjoy the film breakdown like this.

Below is what I see in Levis as well…he just had no pocket awareness from what I saw. Bust I think is a strong word but struggle unless falling into the perfect position I think is fair.

Inconsistent pro-style pocket passer with good arm strength and below-average mobility. Good initial ball handling, but looks tight and robotic in terms of mechanics. Average poise and awareness. Doesn’t look comfortable in the pocket. Eats sacks. Best in the short throwing range. Erratic intermediate to deep. Inside slants are his best throw. Puts heat on the ball. Struggles throwing outside of the pocket. Not too accurate throwing outside of the hashes. Not a running threat.”  Daniel Kelly 

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/03/10-games-prove-will-levis-is-a-bust/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Below is what I see in Levis as well…he just had no pocket awareness from what I saw. Bust I think is a strong word but struggle unless falling into the perfect position I think is fair.

Inconsistent pro-style pocket passer with good arm strength and below-average mobility. Good initial ball handling, but looks tight and robotic in terms of mechanics. Average poise and awareness. Doesn’t look comfortable in the pocket. Eats sacks. Best in the short throwing range. Erratic intermediate to deep. Inside slants are his best throw. Puts heat on the ball. Struggles throwing outside of the pocket. Not too accurate throwing outside of the hashes. Not a running threat.”  Daniel Kelly 

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/03/10-games-prove-will-levis-is-a-bust/

"And with the 4th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Will Levis, quarterback, The University of Kentucky."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

"And with the 4th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select Will Levis, quarterback, The University of Kentucky."

Now Vegas has Levis as the favorite to pick second. Most things we here about the draft is a lie so we shouldn't really believe anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Now Vegas has Levis as the favorite to pick second. Most things we here about the draft is a lie so we shouldn't really believe anything.

Vegas probably making a killing somehow in all this. I imagine as long as they get enough action on all these guys they will make out just fine.

Purdy got to play on an offense with mercedes for an OL and skill players that could compare to a Jaguar.  first time he got hit, boom, elbow injury.  I'd would like to see how would he do if switched teams with Thompson on the dolphins and played against the Bills and conversely how Thompson would do in the niner offense.  Thompson was constantly running from pressure.  I think you could even make the same comparison with Ehlinger on colts. Their offense was in the tank no matter who their QB would of been.   My guess is the Niner think they can get by cheaply at QB and keep that loaded Mercedes/Jaguar talented roster. They might be right but first shot at getting big QB bucks and I'd bet they look elsehwere.

i've read that Lance was not consistent even in practices from day to day.  I woudn't be surprised that Sam Darnold winds up the starter by end of year.  He actually looked like he had learned to play QB in the NFL by end of last season for Carolina. 

Speaking of Sam,  will Sam Howell be better than Purdy?