2023 NFL Discussion

rico

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can someone explain what was wrong with the 2nd two picks? 

I only wanted one of Brents/Porter. Wanted Hyatt but wasn't convinced he was a true slot, which Downs is. 

I didn't have any problems with the Downs selection, in fact I think it was a good pick.

I did not like the trading down in the second round. At that spot we could have gotten Mingo, or any of the 3 O-lineman that could have helped immediately, had we stayed where we were. To trade down and then settle for Brents was also a poor choice, imo. Both Martin from Illinois, and Cam Smith from S. Carolina--both at the same position as Brents, and both who graded higher, were available. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Plenty didn't

Well then, it comes back to the old @IU Scottargument from basketball. Would you rather have a football player with some athletic skills, or an athlete with limited football skills? 

Hooker has shown he can handle the mental part, the cerebral part, of being a big-time quarterback. Richardson has not.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

I didn't have any problems with the Downs selection, in fact I think it was a good pick.

I did not like the trading down in the second round. At that spot we could have gotten Mingo, or any of the 3 O-lineman that could have helped immediately, had we stayed where we were. To trade down and then settle for Brents was also a poor choice, imo. Both Martin from Illinois, and Cam Smith from S. Carolina--both at the same position as Brents, and both who graded higher, were available. 

I don't think we wanted an outside WR... 

But uh.. I'll take the picks and Brents, every time. Move down 9 spots and add 2 4ths is solid as shit. 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Well then, it comes back to the old @IU Scottargument from basketball. Would you rather have a football player with some athletic skills, or an athlete with limited football skills? 

Hooker has shown he can handle the mental part, the cerebral part, of being a big-time quarterback. Richardson has not.

I couldn't fathom drafting Hooker, so I can't even compare them. Hooker was undraftable to me. Unless like.. 7th rd. 

"Limited football skills" isn't a categorization for Richardson though. 

For my Bears brethren. If you get bored today. Study the differences between what Florida asked Gervon Dexter to do (read and mirror technique) vs the 1 gap responsibility the Bears use. Poles basically said all the film you see on him isn't worthless but he didn't get to use his freak size and athleticism at Florida the way he will with Bears.

Same for Pickens from South Carolina.....and Stevenson from Miami fits the same mold. Size, athleticism, and speed.

For 20+ years I've been asking the Bears to just draft from SEC and Miami like programs. Seems we finally have a GM who is doing a novel concept like drafting players from the best conference in the country?? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think we wanted an outside WR... 

But uh.. I'll take the picks and Brents, every time. Move down 9 spots and add 2 4ths is solid as shit. 

You said yourself before the draft that you liked and wanted Mingo. 

Not sold on the depth of this draft that the extra later round picks will amount to much.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I couldn't fathom drafting Hooker, so I can't even compare them. Hooker was undraftable to me. Unless like.. 7th rd. 

"Limited football skills" isn't a categorization for Richardson though. 

Each their own, I guess.

For me, I have much more apprehension about when Richardson takes over from Minshew than I would have if it were Hooker.

And clearly, he wasn't undraftable. 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

You said yourself before the draft that you liked and wanted Mingo. 

Not sold on the depth of this draft that the extra later round picks will amount to much.

No I didnt. I had to look him up when you just mentioned him. 

No worries that you have a completely different view than I do... but, you don't take Hooker at 4 when you can get him in the 3rd, regardless of anything else. 

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can someone explain what was wrong with the 2nd two picks? 

I only wanted one of Brents/Porter. Wanted Hyatt but wasn't convinced he was a true slot, which Downs is. 

I thought both were good picks. I think people got annoyed we traded down twice, but there wasn’t a CB taken in between where we would have picked and where we did pick. If we were going CB no matter what in the 2nd, we would have overpaid if we didn’t trade back. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How would you feel about grabbing him in like the 6th round?  You would have 2 guys similar skill set that would be an insurance policy and big brother to the younger for the next 5 years.  Wouldn't have to revamp your offense on the fly if Richardson went down for a month or 12.  

Well Hooker went in the third round, so yeah, getting him in the sixth would be a no brainer.

I personally wouldn’t have had a problem if Hooker was the guy, I’d have just had a problem getting him at 4. Why overpay for something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

For my Bears brethren. If you get bored today. Study the differences between what Florida asked Gervon Dexter to do (read and mirror technique) vs the 1 gap responsibility the Bears use. Poles basically said all the film you see on him isn't worthless but he didn't get to use his freak size and athleticism at Florida the way he will with Bears.

Same for Pickens from South Carolina.....and Stevenson from Miami fits the same mold. Size, athleticism, and speed.

For 20+ years I've been asking the Bears to just draft from SEC and Miami like programs. Seems we finally have a GM who is doing a novel concept like drafting players from the best conference in the country?? 

I am guessing that with Poles and Eberflus's background, they know what they are doing with the lines and how to maximize their abilities. I do not presume to know a ton about their day two draft picks since I didn't watch a lot of ACC/SEC football last year. I did read some last night and today, and I think the defensive linemen have high ceilings...I would be happy if one turns into a high level starter. I feel like the CB pick was a little "safer" based on my readings, although some have him pegged to land as a safety possibly.

I am hoping their is still the possibility of them drafting a center with legit starting potential or solid edge rusher today. I wouldn't sneeze at a rb or tight end pick if they present themselves as well.

Poles definitely seems like he has a plan and is carrying out in this draft...so I am hopeful it works out well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I am guessing that with Poles and Eberflus's background, they know what they are doing with the lines and how to maximize their abilities. I do not presume to know a ton about their day two draft picks since I didn't watch a lot of ACC/SEC football last year. I did read some last night and today, and I think the defensive linemen have high ceilings...I would be happy if one turns into a high level starter. I feel like the CB pick was a little "safer" based on my readings, although some have him pegged to land as a safety possibly.

I am hoping their is still the possibility of them drafting a center with legit starting potential or solid edge rusher today. I wouldn't sneeze at a rb or tight end pick if they present themselves as well.

Poles definitely seems like he has a plan and is carrying out in this draft...so I am hopeful it works out well.

We could get Ringo from Georgia (tall CB), AA from Northwestern who would fit the edge rusher mold we need or we take Jones from Ohio St who is 6'8 380 plus....none of these 3 guys should have fallen to the 4th so with the first pick today we'll be getting a really good player that can rotate in this year or provide depth. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well Hooker went in the third round, so yeah, getting him in the sixth would be a no brainer.

I personally wouldn’t have had a problem if Hooker was the guy, I’d have just had a problem getting him at 4. Why overpay for something?

I was building my sectional yesterday.   Totally missed that.  

Same on 2nd sentence  

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We could get Ringo from Georgia (tall CB), AA from Northwestern who would fit the edge rusher mold we need or we take Jones from Ohio St who is 6'8 380 plus....none of these 3 guys should have fallen to the 4th so with the first pick today we'll be getting a really good player that can rotate in this year or provide depth. 

If I am remembering correctly, I think we are getting a little crowded in defensive backfield, so my preference would be the edge rusher from NU or big ole O-Lineman Buckeye. A talented tall CB is intriguing however. I don't want to trade back to far with this pick though, if there is a guy they really like I want them to grab them (which I have confidence Poles will do).

I remember we had several injuries to Oline last year, so I am fine loading up in the trenches.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We needed a corner more than WR, overall... thats why we went CB in 2nd rd.. plus a beavy of WR were still on the board in the 3rd... 

But, did you not think we needed a slot WR more so than an outside guy? 

I wanted Mingo just because I think he has AJB or Deebo type of potential in terms of being a freak athlete, and we’ve never had a guy like that.

But I definitely agree we needed a corner more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I wanted Mingo just because I think he has AJB or Deebo type of potential in terms of being a freak athlete, and we’ve never had a guy like that.

But I definitely agree we needed a corner more. 

I don't know anything about him. I wouldn't have been upset with WR in the 2nd at all. 

I was hyping up Hyatt, but I didn't know for sure if he could play in the slot. Clearly Downs projects there.