Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I disagree with this.  It sucks for us, but if OSU just forfeited the game, they'd still go forward as the B1G representative.  They beat us fair and square.  If they called the B1G and said "you know what, the game should go on - we forfeit, UM wins" they'd be in the Championship and we wouldn't.  

Don't get me wrong - we've been screwed a LOT of times by the rules in this conference, whether within a game or in the grander scheme.  It would have felt really, really good for BS rules to finally rule in our favor for once.  Still, I can't muster much anger that the genuinely right thing is happening.

I'm angry the rules never get changed for us - and that's a discussion worth having - but that's beside the point that this is the right and fair outcome.  

42 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Going to announce it later, but Yacht said it’s a done deal

That rationale is patently wrong with how we keep standings in sports. OSU would not, in any way, shape, or form, be the winner if we beat PU and they lost to UM. You don't keep standings by just looking at the loss column. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm not sure I disagree with this.  It sucks for us, but if OSU just forfeited the game, they'd still go forward as the B1G representative.  They beat us fair and square.  If they called the B1G and said "you know what, the game should go on - we forfeit, UM wins" they'd be in the Championship and we wouldn't.  

Don't get me wrong - we've been screwed a LOT of times by the rules in this conference, whether within a game or in the grander scheme.  It would have felt really, really good for BS rules to finally rule in our favor for once.  Still, I can't muster much anger that the genuinely right thing is happening.

I'm angry the rules never get changed for us - and that's a discussion worth having - but that's beside the point that this is the right and fair outcome.  

They would not be in the championship in that scenario. If they finished 5-1 and we finished 7-1 we would be the division champs, tiebreaker wouldn't even come into play. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

As much as I don't like it, I too agree with the decision. Had we beaten Ohio state fair and square, this is all non-issue..... We would have NEVER heard the end of it, mostly stuff like this.........

"Yeah, IU won the BIG Championship, but they got there on a technicality! Everyone knows OSU was the better team!!!"

*  2020/2021 BIGTEN Conference Champions - Indiana University

This would look much better, fair and square....

2021/2022 BIGTEN Conference Champions - Indiana University (no asterisk)

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

To be that guy here. a 1-1 team that gives a 7-1 team their only loss would be ahead of the 7-1. I know a little drastic comparison but at what point does the committee draw the line. 

I agree it’s ridiculous. And maybe I’m wrong. I just know their logic was 5-1 and 6-1 were the same thing. That’s why they made the 6 game limit to begin with. So 1-1 and 7-1 weren’t equal. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They would not be in the championship in that scenario. If they finished 5-1 and we finished 7-1 we would be the division champs, tiebreaker wouldn't even come into play. 

I might be reading this wrong, but this implies that H2H is the relevant tiebreaker here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bigten.org/documents/2020/10/22/2020_Big_Ten_Football_Tiebreakers.pdf

In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games: If two (or more) teams have the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games language noted above.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I agree it’s ridiculous. And maybe I’m wrong. I just know their logic was 5-1 and 6-1 were the same thing. That’s why they made the 6 game limit to begin with. So 1-1 and 7-1 weren’t equal. 

I agree. I am just curious what the threshold would have been 4-0 or 3-0 even. I think it might the the correct thing to do to get the best team in but not sure it is the right thing to do. Lets just make and break rules as we please.

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

As much as I don't like it, I too agree with the decision. Had we beaten Ohio state fair and square, this is all non-issue..... We would have NEVER heard the end of it, mostly stuff like this.........

"Yeah, IU won the BIG Championship, but they got there on a technicality! Everyone knows OSU was the better team!!!"

Whether or not it has an asterisk would not matter to me. Just imagine what a Big title does for recruiting.  Come to OSU we get rules changed to help us .  OSU deserves it because they beat us but changing the rules does not sit well with me

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. I am just curious what the threshold would have been 4-0 or 3-0 even. I think it might the the correct thing to do to get the best team in but not sure it is the right thing to do. Lets just make and break rules as we please.

We make and break the rules as we please to help the big ten make more money be eliminating any doubt about osu to be in playoff. 

That being said, O$U beat us, and they weren’t gonna lose to Michigan or Maryland or illinois. They deserve to be there too. And I don’t think a rematch with us is fair to then have to play northwestern too. 

Play Purdue if we can, then go F up Iowa and their clueless AD, then go kick USC’s ass in the fiesta bowl and finish in the top 5 in the country. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I might be reading this wrong, but this implies that H2H is the relevant tiebreaker here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bigten.org/documents/2020/10/22/2020_Big_Ten_Football_Tiebreakers.pdf

In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games: If two (or more) teams have the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games language noted above.

But OSU did not meet the minimum, correct?? So head to head should not matter

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

We make and break the rules as we please to help the big ten make more money be eliminating any doubt about osu to be in playoff. 

That being said, O$U beat us, and they weren’t gonna lose to Michigan or Maryland or illinois. They deserve to be there too. And I don’t think a rematch with us is fair to then have to play northwestern too. 

Play Purdue if we can, then go F up Iowa and their clueless AD, then go kick USC ass is the fiesta bowl and finish in the top 5 in the country. 

We don’t know that. Everyone said they’d beat IU by about 21. No one thought MSU would beat Northwestern. 

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

"Yeah, IU won the Best teams don't always wins the conference. Championship, but they got there on a technicality! Everyone knows OSU was the better team!!!"

Best teams don't always win the conference it is who had the best year.  In 1989 there is no way IU basketball was the best team in the conference yet they won it.

Archived