Big Ten 2020

7 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I guess we should be glad we beat Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Wisconsin. The Big Ten will probably change the rules next season saying we're not allowed to beat those teams. 

No joke, they will make sure the referees know that this is not allowed to happen again 🙄

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's where I'm at on this. Big 10 sold their soul to make sure Ohio St got in. With that said the rule they put in place in September was dumb to begin with so what's worse a dumb rule or enforcing a dumb rule.....add to the fact that Ohio St beat us fair and square I have no problem with them getting in. 

The real fireworks will begin when (big IF) ND plays Clemson close and Ohio St gets into CFP over Notre Dame. Jack is already chiming in on that. Fun times ahead.

I never want to hear the Big 10 ever play some moral superiority card ever again. Absolute shame what they did this week. Kevin Warren has been a clown since day 1 and this further cements what I think of him. 

IU deserves about 4-5 favors in coming years to repay this mess. Hopefully Dolson has the stones to remind the Big10 that they got out of the way for the greater good. 

I don't think it was a dumb rule.  It was to protect the integrity of the season.  IU could have opted out of the OSU game for "Covid" reasons and we would be 6-0 and they would be 4-0.  The OSU AD voted for it.  He thought it was a good rule, right up until.....

6 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I don't think it was a dumb rule.  It was to protect the integrity of the season.  IU could have opted out of the OSU game for "Covid" reasons and we would be 6-0 and they would be 4-0.  The OSU AD voted for it.  He thought it was a good rule, right up until.....

Great point.  Changing a rule after the fact to affect a decision point is amateurish.  I wouldn’t expect that in a Little League.  A rule is a rule   It’s amazing this isn’t skewered more.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  

As for OSU beating IU, it was a tight game at Columbus.  IU let a few things slip through their fingers in a short stretch late in the 2nd and early in the third.  OSU got up 35-7.  It was fluky.  But IU killed them from there.  

Regardless of OSU’s naive, unwarranted and divorced-from-reality arrogance, I sure as bleep don’t subscribe to any theory they are way better than us.  It’s more of a toss up situation.  If they play ten times, it’s probably 5-5.  

Something tells me I have 130 coaches and players in beautiful Bloomington who agree with me completely. 

7 hours ago, Muddy River said:

At the time the rule was put in place the Big 10 and all of the AD's were bent over in a PR hailstorm that only exists in West Texas. Nowhere to run or hide. So they scrambled and put together a plan....which was and has been dumb to begin with.

Probably should have followed the ACC and SEC path of allowing multiple weeks of movement to begin with but that would be admitting someone else might know more than the Big 10. Ohio St AD obviously said yes because they wanted football.

I'll stand by my point. Dumb rule....but I also agree when fans of IU or other teams are saying can't believe they went back on it. Tough one for sure. I'm ok with how things turned out even as an IU football fan. Our program and stature is on the rise not just on the field....but off. People have been taking notice of what happened and there isn't a ton of bellyaching. More so the mindset of hey...if we didn't want this to happen we should take care of business on the field.

Of course just my 3 cents.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

At the time the rule was put in place the Big 10 and all of the AD's were bent over in a PR hailstorm that only exists in West Texas. Nowhere to run or hide. So they scrambled and put together a plan....which was and has been dumb to begin with.

Probably should have followed the ACC and SEC path of allowing multiple weeks of movement to begin with but that would be admitting someone else might know more than the Big 10. Ohio St AD obviously said yes because they wanted football.

I'll stand by my point. Dumb rule....but I also agree when fans of IU or other teams are saying can't believe they went back on it. Tough one for sure. I'm ok with how things turned out even as an IU football fan. Our program and stature is on the rise not just on the field....but off. People have been taking notice of what happened and there isn't a ton of bellyaching. More so the mindset of hey...if we didn't want this to happen we should take care of business on the field.

For me it is just not that they went back on the rule but knowing they wouldn't do it for all of the teams 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me it is just not that they went back on the rule but knowing they wouldn't do it for all of the teams 

Yep. Understand. But like I said yesterday...great life lessons in here for the kids/players. Handle your business on the field and don't leave things to the powers at be. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Understand. But like I said yesterday...great life lessons in here for the kids/players. Handle your business on the field and don't leave things to the powers at be. 

I know some people have been upset about Dolson's statement, but I liked it. Basically said, hey, we lost to OSU. We had a chance to control our fate and didn't take advantage. Nobody to blame but ourselves. Goes along with Allen's philosophy of teaching kids to work hard to overcome things instead of complaining about them.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I know some people have been upset about Dolson's statement, but I liked it. Basically said, hey, we lost to OSU. We had a chance to control our fate and didn't take advantage. Nobody to blame but ourselves. Goes along with Allen's philosophy of teaching kids to work hard to overcome things instead of complaining about them.

All day long. That plays almost as much in the public as getting backed into a Big 10 title shot. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I disagree that OSU only agreed to this rule because they wanted football. I'd argue the rule was only there in the first place to protect a team like OSU. 

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree that OSU only agreed to this rule because they wanted football. I'd argue the rule was only there in the first place to protect a team like OSU. 

Difference of a opinion. All good. Ohio St fans wanted football and the pressure was mounting to get it. Honestly I don't think anyone envisioned what IU did this year so they didn't even take it into consideration when they agreed to the rule. Beating Penn St, Michigan, Wisconsin.....hasn't happened before so odds say they didn't factor that part of the equation in. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Difference of a opinion. All good. Ohio St fans wanted football and the pressure was mounting to get it. Honestly I don't think anyone envisioned what IU did this year so they didn't even take it into consideration when they agreed to the rule. Beating Penn St, Michigan, Wisconsin.....hasn't happened before so odds say they didn't factor that part of the equation in. 

Right, they didn't envision a scenario where OSU didn't meet the game threshold and another team did. 

What they did envision was a team not meeting it and being 4 or 5-0 and OSU being 7-1, thus the rule. 

Archived