Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If you were us, who would you go after?

I would look at the IU defensive coordinators during Wilson's tenure.  They were awesome!

I always like giving a shot to a top position coach looking to move to DC, or a DC who is doing really well at a small school and is looking to move up.  I hated when we hired DeBord from Tennessee since he had bounced around with mixed results.  Sometimes you'll find an established guy who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time at his previous school, but usually they're available for a reason.

No idea who would fit those criteria.

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I would look at the IU defensive coordinators during Wilson's tenure.  They were awesome!

I always like giving a shot to a top position coach looking to move to DC, or a DC who is doing really well at a small school and is looking to move up.  I hated when we hired DeBord from Tennessee since he had bounced around with mixed results.  Sometimes you'll find an established guy who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time at his previous school, but usually they're available for a reason.

No idea who would fit those criteria.

Yep I def don’t want a retread. It sounds like the DC job was being quietly shopped around the last few days so I wouldn’t be surprised if the new one is announced here soon. 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep I def don’t want a retread. It sounds like the DC job was being quietly shopped around the last few days so I wouldn’t be surprised if the new one is announced here soon. 

Could look at a couple of defensive minded coaches that were just fired such as Derek Mason or Lovie Smith. 

On 12/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Seeking6 said:

Lovie fan here too. Similar experiences. Problem at Illinois goes higher than whoever the coach is. Similar to IU's football program until there is a huge commitment from university for facilities/upgrades, etc...they will continue to be near the bottom. Interesting names might be a guy like Bielema. He could at least stabilize things. 

Follow up on this. Bielema it is. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Follow up on this. Bielema it is. 

Interesting. 

Also.. I went to UI vs IU in baseball not last spring, obviously, but the spring before. I've never been less impressed with a college town, university appearance, etc than I was with UI. 

Baseball stadium was a dump. The whole thing was just off.. and Champaign was less than impressive. Honestly thought WL was nicer. 🤷‍♂️

Ann Arbor is very nice. Columbus is obviously massive for a college town, can't really compare it, but OSUs campus is huge. Hope to visit a lot more this spring for baseball season. 

Archived