Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I may despise the Whinin Illini, but Lovie Smith is a good football coach and a really good man. I met him at the Bears camp at Olivet back in 2005 and again in 2006...one of the kindest people I've ever met.

Sorry coach...hope you find another gig if you want one...

Lovie fan here too. Similar experiences. Problem at Illinois goes higher than whoever the coach is. Similar to IU's football program until there is a huge commitment from university for facilities/upgrades, etc...they will continue to be near the bottom. Interesting names might be a guy like Bielema. He could at least stabilize things. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lovie fan here too. Similar experiences. Problem at Illinois goes higher than whoever the coach is. Similar to IU's football program until there is a huge commitment from university for facilities/upgrades, etc...they will continue to be near the bottom. Interesting names might be a guy like Bielema. He could at least stabilize things. 

I am sure Bret will get some attention.  But Illinois has to reach out to Fickell.  Another name might be Hugh Freeze.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I am sure Bret will get some attention.  But Illinois has to reach out to Fickell.  Another name might be Hugh Freeze.

Freeze will probably be in running for Auburn. Illinois can reach to Fickell but honestly he'd view it as a step down even though it's a Big 10 program. 

I think Illinois is going to have to rely on up and coming coordinator who would jump at the job....or former head coach/nfl type that would appreciate the opportunity again.

Guys like Fickell know the problems a school like Illinois faces and don't need to spend the next 4-5 years banging their heads against the wall only to get fired.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Freeze will probably be in running for Auburn. Illinois can reach to Fickell but honestly he'd view it as a step down even though it's a Big 10 program. 

I think Illinois is going to have to rely on up and coming coordinator who would jump at the job....or former head coach/nfl type that would appreciate the opportunity again.

Guys like Fickell know the problems a school like Illinois faces and don't need to spend the next 4-5 years banging their heads against the wall only to get fired.

Kevin Wilson...

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hearing, on the radio this morning, Illinois ready to invest.  They sort of did with Lovie; however, Smith did not like to get out there and recruit.  

23 minutes ago, Bob said:

Good for Purdue, if he’s not a fit then he’s not a fit. 
We  hung onto Doug Mallory way to long. Waste some great offensive years. 

Take the results on the field out of the equation but apparently he was extremely disliked by the players (heard the word despised actually). Was an easy call to let him go tbh. 

Archived