Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You can always go to gold and black if you want to talk about Purdue 

Never went to another teams message board but there is nothing wrong discussing them in the Big Ten football thread.  You do know you have the.iption of not even opening up that thread.  Just go into the thread about IU football

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never went to another teams message board but there is nothing wrong discussing them in the Big Ten football thread.  You do know you have the.iption of not even opening up that thread.  Just go into the thread about IU football

Or... not be so open to anyone affiliated with our most bitter rival.

Again, I am certain that no one at G&B would be as welcoming to an IU poster. No one on Bucknuts would tolerate a Michigan fan, and vice versa   with Maize and Blue. 

This board devotes way too much space and conversation to discussion about Purdue 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Or... not be so open to anyone affiliated with our most bitter rival.

Again, I am certain that no one at G&B would be as welcoming to an IU poster. No one on Bucknuts would tolerate a Michigan fan, and vice versa   with Maize and Blue. 

This board devotes way too much space and conversation to discussion about Purdue 

There was a Purdue game on and there was discussion around said game in the B1G thread. We’d be welcoming if the poster wasn’t a troll and could be respectful. 

So.....if we handle our business next week and OSU's game gets cancelled, and they stick to the rules set before the season.....

We play in the B10 title game.  Let's say we win. 

Is there a chance OSU goes to the CFP and we get "relegated" (please note the quotes) to a different NY6 game?

27 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So.....if we handle our business next week and OSU's game gets cancelled, and they stick to the rules set before the season.....

We play in the B10 title game.  Let's say we win. 

Is there a chance OSU goes to the CFP and we get "relegated" (please note the quotes) to a different NY6 game?

We win the big ten champ and somehow osu doesn’t play Michigan (they will or another big ten game made up for osu), we will play in a NY6 game and osu will make the CFP. 

We need to win out have texas anm lose, bama beat Florida in sec champ, osu lose to Michigan or Wisconsin, Notre Dame Beat Clemson again, Iowa state and Oklahoma both lose, Georgia cancel due to covid, and a partridge in a pear tree...

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Purdue’s NC will be trying to ruin Indianas B1G title hopes. They can put up points. We need to play well because this will be their biggest game of the year.

Agree. They will be pulling out all the stops ala Rutgers vs osu. Need to be sound and just not make mistakes. I never feel confident about the Purdue game, regardless of record. 

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Purdue’s NC will be trying to ruin Indianas B1G title hopes. They can put up points. We need to play well because this will be their biggest game of the year.

We need to pick the offense up because PU defense is not good and you can run on them.  PU offensive skill people are very good and we struggled with them last year especially Horvath.  We need to put a lot of pressure on the QB and not let the WRT have time to get open.  Neb. came in with 8 sacks for the year and I htink they had 4 today.

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They might be excited, bit I'm not sure if they'll even be that pumped for it. There were very few people on that Purdue team that cared today. I think there's lockeroom issues based on how much they've given up. They might just want the year to be over.

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I really want to see an epic beatdown.  That being said, I expect a close game simply due to motivation. 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I really want to see an epic beatdown.  That being said, I expect a close game simply due to motivation. 

Our defense is legit but I still think Purdue will score points. Our offense has really taken a hit since Penix went out. Going to have to score more than 14 for sure. With Penix I wouldn’t have even sweated it but now...well now I’m a little worried. 

If we still had Penix I would have loved us to play ND in a bowl game...I think we would give them all they want and more...now I just don’t know what we will get. Those big explosive plays are gone. Tuttle is doing fine but we obviously aren’t running on all cylinders. The offense has gone from a V8 to more turbo charged sedan.

The BIG is currently seeing a trend of away teams (24 W's) winning more games than home teams(17 W's) this season by a fairly wide margin considering the abbreviated redrawn conference only format.

Not sure how reliable any data might be during this pandemic, but the difference is notable enough with no fans at conference games.

While  the number(4) of conference schools that are winless at home being equal to the number of unbeaten home teams might appear "normal"enough at a glance;

Only 2 B1G teams have losing away records.

5 B1G schools have only won 1 home game this season.

Every team in the B1G has at least one road victory.

In the B1G East, 3 are yet to win at home this season..

All 4 B1G teams that are winless at home have won 2 away games and sit at least at .500 away.

The away teams swept all 5 B1G games that were played this week.

Fun factoids. 

Next week the home teams will likely be favored to win every scheduled B1G game. However, we shall see.

2 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

The BIG is currently seeing a trend of away teams (24 W's) winning more games than home teams(17 W's) this season by a fairly wide margin considering the abbreviated redrawn conference only format.

Not sure how reliable any data might be during this pandemic, but the difference is notable enough with no fans at conference games.

While  the number(4) of conference schools that are winless at home being equal to the number of unbeaten home teams might appear "normal"enough at a glance;

Only 2 B1G teams have losing away records.

5 B1G schools have only won 1 home game this season.

Every team in the B1G has at least one road victory.

In the B1G East, 3 are yet to win at home this season..

All 4 B1G teams that are winless at home have won 2 away games and sit at least at .500 away.

The away teams swept all 5 B1G games that were played this week.

Fun factoids. 

Next week the home teams will likely be favored to win every scheduled B1G game. However, we shall see.

IU had one penalty and WI had 8 at CRS. I don’t think that happens if there are fans in the stands. Refs get influenced, plus crowd noise affects road teams on offense. 
if fans were there, there probably would have been a late PI call on Taylor on Wisky’s last play. The crowd would have gone nuts and one of the officials would have probably reacted

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Our defense is legit but I still think Purdue will score points. Our offense has really taken a hit since Penix went out. Going to have to score more than 14 for sure. With Penix I wouldn’t have even sweated it but now...well now I’m a little worried. 

If we still had Penix I would have loved us to play ND in a bowl game...I think we would give them all they want and more...now I just don’t know what we will get. Those big explosive plays are gone. Tuttle is doing fine but we obviously aren’t running on all cylinders. The offense has gone from a V8 to more turbo charged sedan.

Remember, WI has one of the best defenses in the country. I think the O, and Tuttle, will do just fine vs PU.

14 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

They might be excited, bit I'm not sure if they'll even be that pumped for it. There were very few people on that Purdue team that cared today. I think there's lockeroom issues based on how much they've given up. They might just want the year to be over.

This. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more opt outs this week too. 

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

In normal years I think you’d be right but not sure about this year. Yesterday (and at times the last few weeks), it looks like the team has called it quits. 

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

In normal years I think you’d be right but not sure about this year. Yesterday (and at times the last few weeks), it looks like the team has called it quits. 

The last couple weeks, there were a few times I noticed it, but yesterday it was really bad.  Outside of Horvath, Barnes, and a couple others, there was no emotion.  On dropped passes, on big plays, nothing.  Just going through the motions.  

35 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The last couple weeks, there were a few times I noticed it, but yesterday it was really bad.  Outside of Horvath, Barnes, and a couple others, there was no emotion.  On dropped passes, on big plays, nothing.  Just going through the motions.  

Can’t argue with that. 

20 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IU had one penalty and WI had 8 at CRS. I don’t think that happens if there are fans in the stands. Refs get influenced, plus crowd noise affects road teams on offense. 
if fans were there, there probably would have been a late PI call on Taylor on Wisky’s last play. The crowd would have gone nuts and one of the officials would have probably reacted

Yep!   Not to mention that the officials closest to the play are actually getting to make a call or two for a change.   In IU games that one crewmember across the field without direct line of site seemed to always be who they deferred  judgement to in the last 4 mins or so of games when we played top 25 teams for the past few decades xD

Good point, though,  and same with your example.  The fans are given the power to be "the jury" too often at times. Some places more than others.  

Perhaps the priority influence on some of the calls might have even shifted to "other centers of gravity" as opposed to dissipating in  the absence of full crowds . 

A few plays this season in IU games have even made me wonder if refs - when off the field like average Joes-  are perhaps getting a little caught up In the pandemic sports "bright spots "  maybe even a certain IU feel good story and swallowing whistles a bit more too.   Same{human} factor 

I always try to keep aware of the "games within the games" to have some sense of that coaches - official factor too.  Human factor affects everyone in the games. 

If players , media, and sports personalities alike are all saying how they would run through walls for Coach Allen , surely the stoic officials would have individual tipping points show their humanity and fan boy out a little inside too haha 

Archived