KFC, Churches, or Popeyes ?

milehiiu

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Sonic....worst burgers ever...and everything tastes like they threw it in a microwave and nuked it....I only eat the pretzel and cheese, popcorn chicken, and of course the drinks. Wife always gets a coney dog.

I'll only get a drink- cherry limeade or shake- from Sonic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Hard to find but used to have an A&W Restaurant near me awhile back....they had nice burgers and the floats were epic. Hard to find although I hear they are making a comeback.

a&w.jpg

There is still one in North Aurora that has been around for ages. Food not so hot but that rootbeer float is worth the trip.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Mostly just two of them. Seymour and Scottsburg. Oh and Salem. Those three locations, I have ZERO trouble with. Interesting. 

It is interesting...

Down here, I think some of it is a language barrier...the ones in Chicagoland it was an attitude barrier...

I'm not sure how Popeyes trains or pays their people, but they could  definitely take a page from Chick-fil-A in those departments from my experiences...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

I'm ok with BK and Wendys. Won't set foot in a McDs. Used to go to Culvers alot and got tired of them. They do have a good walleye sandwich i get during Lent. Red Robin and 5 guys are my favorites. 

For chicken, I like KFC for individual pieces, Popeyes for their spicy chicken sandwich and Chick fila for service.

Anybody passing through the S Suburbs of Chicago needs to stop at Heinies Chicken in Orland Park. Blows White Fence Farm out of the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It is interesting...

Down here, I think some of it is a language barrier...the ones in Chicagoland it was an attitude barrier...

I'm not sure how Popeyes trains or pays their people, but they could  definitely take a page from Chick-fil-A in those departments from my experiences...

I think most businesses could take quite a bit from CFA. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm ok with BK and Wendys. Won't set foot in a McDs. Used to go to Culvers alot and got tired of them. They do have a good walleye sandwich i get during Lent. Red Robin and 5 guys are my favorites. 

For chicken, I like KFC for individual pieces, Popeyes for their spicy chicken sandwich and Chick fila for service.

Anybody passing through the S Suburbs of Chicago needs to stop at Heinies Chicken in Orland Park. Blows White Fence Farm out of the water.

Is Brown's Fried Chicken still around the Chicagoland area? Use to like to go there for their livers...

I tried Harold's Chicken Shack once, and wasn't impressed...

Down here they have Hartz's and Frenchie's...and if you can believe it they're both worse than Church's...

Edited by IUFLA

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Mostly just two of them. Seymour and Scottsburg. Oh and Salem. Those three locations, I have ZERO trouble with. Interesting. 

Probably owned by the same people. I've found franchises can vary greatly from one to another on service. The food generally is yes the same because it comes from the same places...maybe some given a little more love than others but service is direct result of management. The places that typically have no issues....Culvers/Chick fila train their owners and managers very well and screen them....other franchises just want their cut/fee and don't care if the owner ruins their image for the most part. I've had the same issues with Popeyes...it is one of those places after we get our food we pull into a spot and check before leaving. No biggie...but almost always something is missing/wrong....the problem is Popeyes where we have lived are typically in some rougher neighborhoods etc..and going in and asking for something fixed...can be risky...you may get a little extra sauce if you aren't careful so sometimes it isn't worth it. Chick fila on the otherhand....usually always correct..but also if you had something wrong they would likely give you a complimentary coupon...not a loogie.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'll only get a drink- cherry limeade or shake- from Sonic.

All of their drinks are awesome. Loved their green apple one they have. I like their creme slushes too....I know probably not many other people's cup of tea but something about the slush AND the ice cream...I don't think Dairy Queen does the Mister Misty floats like the used to...miss those!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I like the Mushroom/swiss burger and the pork tenderloin at Culvers...gotta switch it up because those butter burgers can get pretty greasy and hard on the ol stomach lol.

As for just fried chicken Publix is so cheap and done pretty darn good it's hard to pass up for the price. Grab a Bob Evans mashed potatoes tub and some hawaiian sweet rolls while you are there and you have a pretty quick damn good meal.

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Picked up a patty melt and onion rings from Freddy's Steakburgers for lunch today. 

Too many dang places to eat. Not enough money or calories to spare for it all. 

Do you like Freddie's? We have them down here...OK, I guess, but their hamburgers are so thin you can practically see through them...

I was glad when Culvers came in down here about 7 years ago...Got one in Kingwood which isn't that far...I was use to them when we lived in Chicagoland...

They're also opening a Giordano's Pizza in Kingwood as well...

Edited by IUFLA

Again back to topic....anyone mentioned PDQ's?? I'd put their chicken up there with those mentioned in the fast food arena. Also some interesting variations that you might question at first but who knows might be your new favorite once you try it.

pdq-chicken-orland-park-il-0.jpg

PDQ3.png

PDQ34.jpg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Do you like Freddie's? We have them down here...OK, I guess, but their hamburgers are so thin you can practically see through them...

I was glad when Culvers came in down here about 7 years ago...Got one in Kingwood which isn't that far...I was use to the when we lived in Chicagoland...

They're also opening a Giordano's Pizza in Kingwood as well...

I've only had it once a few years ago so don't remember.  I'm about to find out in a bit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Is Brown's Fried Chicken still around the Chicagoland area? Use to like to go there for their livers...

I tried Harold's Chicken Shack once, and wasn't impressed...

Down here they have Hartz's and Frenchie's...and if you can believe it they're both worse than Church's...

Brown's still around. I got a chicken parmesan sandwich a few weeks ago from one. Seems like they are always empty. Not sure how they survive. 

Lucky you getting a Giordano's. They were the closest pizza place to my last house so I went there often. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Lucky you getting a Giordano's. They were the closest pizza place to my last house so I went there often. 

My youngest daughter's favorite pizza joint when we lived in Chicagoland. They're taking over what use to.be a Japanese steak house.

The did try a Gino's East over in The Woodlands a few years back, but I don't think it lasted even a year...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've only had it once a few years ago so don't remember.  I'm about to find out in a bit. 

Freddie's is ok. To me it is a cross between a Steak and Shake (thin burger) and Culver's (custard ice cream). I'll go there a couple times per year for something different. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

My youngest daughter's favorite pizza joint when we lived in Chicagoland. They're taking over what use to.be a Japanese steak house.

The did try a Gino's East over in The Woodlands a few years back, but I don't think it lasted even a year...

I like Gino's East better than Giordano's and Giordano's better than Lou Malnati's. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I like Gino's East better than Giordano's and Giordano's better than Lou Malnati's. 

I've only had Lou's fresh in Chicago but can get Gino's from the freezer section at Fresh Thyme in Bloomington.  Guess I need to try it. 

They have locations in Indy when I get up there again. 

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

LOL...I like the exact opposite order...Loved the Malnati's in the old firehouse in Naperville...

Probably because I'm a pepperoni guy...Gino's sausage pizza was ok, but Lou's pepperoni won the day for me...

And Home Run Inn is in there somewhere...