Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

Year one with Archie was our best big 10 record. Doesn’t really matter in the long run. Not saying I want us to go 7–13 or anything but for now I care more about improving each season and seeing what happens. 

Year one was our best B1G record and that is part of the problem. Have we improved?  Some. Others have improved more and passed us by, thus we go from 6th to 9th to 10th. Maybe we finish higher this year, I hope so I’m just not sure it happens with our shooting woes which aren’t a new thing for us. 

13 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Ugh, if the choice is between Alford and Miller I'd rather just hang on to Miller. I'm on the fence about Miller but I really don't want Alford as coach.

Someone other than TJD really needs to step up as a reliable second option. Preferably someone who will be back at least for next year. Just think of how bad this team is offensively and then remove TJD. That's what we're looking at in year 5. So I guess if this year doesn't work out Miller will need a few more years before we can realistically see a large enough increase in the level of play for IU that they could go into a game like this expecting a win. 

Great stuff.  Lander needs the keys.  It's hard to play the game were your second guessing and looking over to the bench after every shot taken yo see if it okay. I know he still is a kid, but let him play within the structure and things will take off.  

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You have no idea to say that with certainty.  

Not a guarantee but just look at our last hires.  Also top college coaches won't leave their current jobs to come here. You will either an up and coming mid major coach or maybe a mid tier coach from a power 5 conference

17 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yeah, well I'm over this. 

That was mild man.

I did not overly complain, I said that we are at the point where these are not moral victories anymore.  They are missed opportunities.  I don't care that we played the #20 team close (and really they had played 1 game before us, that ranking may be right or wrong, it is really early).  I expect us to start winning those games.

Lose big, lose small, win small, win big.  My expectation for this year was step 3, win small.  Losing closely was last year.

I am not calling for anyone to get fired or anything, I just don't think losses count as steps forward anymore from my perspective.  That was a completely winnable game that we let get away.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hate when fans say we are accepting mediocrity because as fans we can't do anything about in the first place.

I know one thing. After decades of following IUBB..... up or down... and we had some downs.... with Crean... my heart still bleeds Cream and Crimson.  And always will.

41 minutes ago, rico said:

Newsflash:  Al and Rob have been key ingredients on some pretty damn lackluster teams.  I look at common denominators...and I see two.

I see Rob as a capable scorer who doesn’t play out of control, but is too timid. He needs to be more aggressive. Defensively I think he’s tough. If he doesn’t show something more assertive soon and start hitting more shots, my opinion will quickly become letting Lander get a lot more run at the point. 

I see Al as a capable spot-up shooter, but is erratic with his decision making (and as a senior that’s not okay). I would not have had him in the game after we took the lead early in OT. Because I knew he would end up hurting us. Preferably I’d like the ball kept out of his hands unless he’s catching and shooting. On defense, I think he’s pretty bad. He gets beat to the basket a lot. I’m ready for his tenure to be done. I know that’s harsh, but he’s not good enough. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Why on Earth are people talking about replacing CAM after on OT 1 basket loss on the road to a ranked team??

His inability to win tough games is an issue.  In the end, we can agree that it will be decided by the standings.  We are a mentally tougher team, so that’s a plus for Archie but we are still too limited.  

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not a guarantee but just look at our last hires.  Also top college coaches won't leave their current jobs to come here. You will either an up and coming mid major coach or maybe a mid tier coach from a power 5 conference

If anything, the prior decisions will put weight on picking an IU guy.  If you look under the hood, Dolson is extremely tuned into the ex player community.  There have been tons of pics of him hobnobbing with ex players.  He’s one of theirs as an ex manager.  They have a captive audience this time.  They will pressure him to take Alford.  Keep an eye on the famous Churchill quote.  “The Americans will do the right thing after they’ve exhausted every other possibility.”  That’s the position of a lot of  the ex players.  

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Going into the season what did you think our record by would be in the non conference.  I thought we would be 5-2 and it looks like that should be the case.

i'd say that's fair.  honestly i didn't really look at the schedule before we started for some reason.  i think we've done fine for what should be expected.  

15 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I see Rob as a capable scorer who doesn’t play out of control, but is too timid. He needs to be more aggressive. Defensively I think he’s tough. If he doesn’t show something more assertive soon and start hitting more shots, my opinion will quickly become letting Lander get a lot more run at the point. 

I see Al as a capable spot-up shooter, but is erratic with his decision making (and as a senior that’s not okay). I would not have had him in the game after we took the lead early in OT. Because I knew he would end up hurting us. Preferably I’d like the ball kept out of his hands unless he’s catching and shooting. On defense, I think he’s pretty bad. He gets beat to the basket a lot. I’m ready for his tenure to be done. I know that’s harsh, but he’s not good enough. 

i agree with this, but it doesn't help if the guys we replace them with are worse.

32 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Why on Earth are people talking about replacing CAM after on OT 1 basket loss on the road to a ranked team??

This is where I'm at. Do we need to start winning some of these games? Sure....but be pissed if we only beat Northwestern by 4 at home. Not a close loss on the road vs a top 20 team who is very good.

That doesn't mean those of us are happy but Lord...each season is it's own wheel. 5 games in and the state of the program talk is rampant. It's almost like those who keep talking about the state of the program are the one's who get off on saying see...see...see...I was first in saying this. 

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

In all honesty, the record I’m most concerned about this year is our B1G record. I’m tired of being at our below 0.500 in conference. It’s time to be on the good side of 0.500. I really don’t think that’s asking too much in year four. If we do that, we will be safely in the NCAA. 

i just can't see how we can expect to be above .500 in the B1G this season.  we were picked to finish 8th out of 12.  maybe we can be 6th?  still, we have to get 10 wins out of these games:  vs. NW, vs. PSU, vs. MD, @ Neb, vs. Purdue, vs. Rutgers, @NW, vs. MN, vs. Mich (I could see these 9) and then who for the 10th win that would make us .500?  we'd need 2 more to get above .500.  just hard to see.

i am really disappointed in Rob.  He showed real grit and flashed of Yogi like skill when he was a freshman.  Fast forward 2 years and he is the same player but now without the flashes.  He just plateaued and has stayed there.  Yes he has been hurt over the last couple years, but he should have gotten better over each summer.  Shooting better, better Basketball IQ, etc.  He just won't lead by example.  He won't take the team on his shoulders and say, "We will  not lose"  He just fades away. 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i just can't see how we can expect to be above .500 in the B1G this season.  we were picked to finish 8th out of 12.  maybe we can be 6th?  still, we have to get 10 wins out of these games:  vs. NW, vs. PSU, vs. MD, @ Neb, vs. Purdue, vs. Rutgers, @NW, vs. MN, vs. Mich (I could see these 9) and then who for the 10th win that would make us .500?  we'd need 2 more to get above .500.  just hard to see.

I don’t disagree. Honestly anywhere from 12-8 to 8-12 wouldn’t shock me with the 11-9 to 9-11 range being most realistic. My point is we should be at that point this year and it concerns me that we’re not. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

This is where I'm at. Do we need to start winning some of these games? Sure....but be pissed if we only beat Northwestern by 4 at home. Not a close loss on the road vs a top 20 team who is very good.

That doesn't mean those of us are happy but Lord...each season is it's own wheel. 5 games in and the state of the program talk is rampant. It's almost like those who keep talking about the state of the program are the one's who get off on saying see...see...see...I was first in saying this. 

Of course it’s not one loss.  It’s a repeated problem.  He lost 12 of 13 with Romeo and Morgan.  He was befuddled and couldn’t figure it out.  

The situation reminds me of what Jay Powell said earlier this year.  “We are not thinking about thinking about raising interest rates.”   Right now, we are on the first.  The seat isn’t hot.   But if we can’t win some big games this year and finish reasonably well, next year his seat will be hotter than what Del and Neil felt in Planes, Trains, and Autos after the car “survived” a fire.   You can’t finish 8th-10th every year at IU and expect that to keep going.   

There are some guys here who relentlessly killed Crean and are now Archie apologists and excuse makers.  For all his faults, Crean won two B1G titles. He needed to go, but being a second division program in the conference is not what we had in mind.  Basketball has a binary outcome. You win or you lose.  That’s what will decide this situation.   If he goes 15-12 and 17-15 the next two years, the excuses will fall on deaf ears.  

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don’t disagree. Honestly anywhere from 12-8 to 8-12 wouldn’t shock me with the 11-9 to 9-11 range being most realistic. My point is we should be at that point this year and it concerns me that we’re not. 

yeah.  and while i'm not really a fire Archie guy, next year looks super scary.  so... let's hope for the best this year!

51 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know one thing. After decades of following IUBB..... up or down... and we had some downs.... with Crean... my heart still bleeds Cream and Crimson.  And always will.

I was not a huge Crean fan but since he was our coach I was going to back him.  I kept telling people that was calling for his head and thought just a coaching change would make everything better.   Once they fired him I thought to myself this time if the coach struggles I was going to be that person who said I told you so and rip on the next coach.  I guess I am not that kind of fan because I will back Archie until he is not the coach.  Even though Archie was not on my list of replacements he is our coach and will be there backing him no matter what unless he does somehting illegal.

54 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I know I was never at this level of play but I can't understand players who doe snot want to shoot.  Nobody had to ask me twice to shoot more because if I was open the ball was going up.  to me it is hard for me to believe a player at this level has to be asked to be more aggressive on the offensive end.

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

His inability to win tough games is an issue.  In the end, we can agree that it will be decided by the standings.  We are a mentally tougher team, so that’s a plus for Archie but we are still too limited.  

He is way above .500 on games that has been decided by 7 points or less

48 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If anything, the prior decisions will put weight on picking an IU guy.  If you look under the hood, Dolson is extremely tuned into the ex player community.  There have been tons of pics of him hobnobbing with ex players.  He’s one of theirs as an ex manager.  They have a captive audience this time.  They will pressure him to take Alford.  Keep an eye on the famous Churchill quote.  “The Americans will do the right thing after they’ve exhausted every other possibility.”  That’s the position of a lot of  the ex players.  

Well we don't have an IU guy who has a good enough resume to coach at this level.  It is not like when UNC was looking and had a HOF alumni coach that they could turn to but we don't have that.

Archived