Annoying Aging and Health Issues

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Just playing devils advocate here.... [can't find the stirring the pot emoji]  At what point to you give them credit for raising millions out of poverty due to increasing the food supply in third world countries? Is it better they starve so there are fewer obese people in the more developed countries?

Guess it depends if their motivations were altruistic or profit driven. 

If nature was left to run its course some of these problems we have would self correct. 

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1999/05/02/monsanto-investigators-accused-of-trespassing/ef272f76-7474-4b5e-be5d-66296ccfa522/

The revelations have reignited a bitter controversy over Monsanto's ongoing pursuit of farmers who have allegedly saved and replanted the company's high-tech, genetically engineered seeds after harvest. Monsanto has a policy of precluding growers from saving seeds from those crops, demanding instead that they buy fresh seed every year.

This is my big beef with monsanto.  If you are a non monsanto grower and the environment, which you can't control for, puts monsanto seed on your property they will trespass to collect evidence and sue for your crop putting you out of business.

Also, they re- engineer their seed annually which makes it hard to calculate exactly how much you need. You go over and waste money. Go under and fields sit fallow. Re-use a previous years seed and risk getting sued. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

Just playing devils advocate here.... [can't find the stirring the pot emoji]  At what point to you give them credit for raising millions out of poverty due to increasing the food supply in third world countries? Is it better they starve so there are fewer obese people in the more developed countries?

Increasing food supply (potentially) as long as farmers bow at the Monsanto teats. It’s like people living in trailer parks. They may own their trailer, but their fortunes and future are at the mercy of the multinational corporations who own that trailer park. I feel like DDT, AgentOrange, Roundup, etc is a pretty deep hole to dig yourself out from if you are a company. 

That’s w/o mentioning the bovine growth hormone and genetically modified seeds. 

It’s fine to play devil’s advocate, but nope, I’m not interested. 

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Increasing food supply (potentially) as long as farmers bow at the Monsanto teats. It’s like people living in trailer parks. They may own their trailer, but their fortunes and future are at the mercy of the multinational corporations who own that trailer park. I feel like DDT, AgentOrange, Roundup, etc is a pretty deep hole to dig yourself out from if you are a company. 

That’s w/o mentioning the bovine growth hormone and genetically modified seeds. 

It’s fine to play devil’s advocate, but nope, I’m not interested. 

No big deal.  Just eat the forever poisons and chemicals.   So CVS and Walgreens are paying a combined 10 BILLION dollars for the opioid crisis.  Drop in the bucket. And to who are they paying?

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any experience with GERD/Panic Attacks? I've pretty much changed my diet for the most part, I workout daily....all medical exams, tests, upper endoscopy,etc...all come back as good to go.

Recently though my acid reflux has been causing me to go into some minor panic attacks where I feel the  big one is coming. I take omeprazole daily. Just curious if anyone has anything else they'd suggest?

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone have any experience with GERD/Panic Attacks? I've pretty much changed my diet for the most part, I workout daily....all medical exams, tests, upper endoscopy,etc...all come back as good to go.

Recently though my acid reflux has been causing me to go into some minor panic attacks where I feel the  big one is coming. I take omeprazole daily. Just curious if anyone has anything else they'd suggest?

No panic attacks, but I’ve learned after going to ER a couple times over the decades that a particular pain I get in my chest is just gas! Switched from a prescribed double dose of Omeprazole a few years ago because it seemed to have lost its effectiveness on me. I’m now on prescription Pantoprazole. Talk to your doctor!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, Seeking6 said:

Have had some struggles with acid reflux, especially when lying flat and trying to sleep. Took the Pepcid daily started with 10mg and then graduated to 20mg. 

The huge thing that helped me was cutting my alcohol intake down, especially beer. I don’t even take Pepcid anymore. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

More hair growing out of my ears than on my head.  

And nostrils. When did that start? I have to be vigilant against both ears and nose. 

Although I do have a shocking amount of hair on my head still. Like Robert Plant Led Zeppelin in the late 60s amount according to one of my wife’s friends. 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, Seeking6 said:

Saw a clip of a doctor who said that some of the GERD problem is not enough acid in the stomach. GERD occurs when the valve on the top of the stomach doesn't close. Acid for some reason helps it function properly. Counter intuitive for me, and not sure I buy it, but worth considering.

My brother had his med changed from Omeprazole to something else. Says it has helped him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWB said:

Saw a clip of a doctor who said that some of the GERD problem is not enough acid in the stomach. GERD occurs when the valve on the top of the stomach doesn't close. Acid for some reason helps it function properly. Counter intuitive for me, and not sure I buy it, but worth considering.

Maybe related:

Whenever I have a heavy meal, I drink about 4 oz of grapefruit juice with a generous splash of simple 5% kitchen vinegar.  Works every time.  Feel better instantly.  Orange juice and vinegar would do as well, I expect.  Sometimes I add pineapple juice.  No need to overthink it, tho.  Just something acidic to help digestion.  It's the opposite of taking Tums, which make digestion more difficult.

Disclaimer:  this isn't meant to be medical advice.  If someone has an ongoing problem, see a doctor. 

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:16 AM, Seeking6 said:

Have you tried probiotics / prebiotics?  Sounds like the key is figuring out your acid reflux. If you can't find a natural solution, then there are the medications. I have a friend that can't eat heavy meals late in the day. Especially pizza or pasta with red sauce. Like @Madison22 says, something after your meal might help too. There is a reason the Italians have sorbet or limoncello after their meals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Have you tried probiotics / prebiotics?  Sounds like the key is figuring out your acid reflux. If you can't find a natural solution, then there are the medications. I have a friend that can't eat heavy meals late in the day. Especially pizza or pasta with red sauce. Like @Madison22 says, something after your meal might help too. There is a reason the Italians have sorbet or limoncello after their meals.

My sister said something about Protonix?? I'm going to see my Dr. on Thursday. Something has to change because it's becoming more common vs once a year....and the omeprazole just isn't working. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My sister said something about Protonix?? I'm going to see my Dr. on Thursday. Something has to change because it's becoming more common vs once a year....and the omeprazole just isn't working. 

Not too familiar with that other than it is another medication. Most Drs aren't going to give you many natural alternatives but I'd experiment with those first. More than likely eliminating something from your diet and / or finding a natural remedy will help. Most medications focus on covering up the symptoms but don't really solve the underlying issue. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Not too familiar with that other than it is another medication. Most Drs aren't going to give you many natural alternatives but I'd experiment with those first. More than likely eliminating something from your diet and / or finding a natural remedy will help. Most medications focus on covering up the symptoms but don't really solve the underlying issue. 

Oh this could all go away if I gave up coffee and beer....but since that's not likely I'm calling for a different plan. Haha.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 5:48 PM, Lostin76 said:

Have had some struggles with acid reflux, especially when lying flat and trying to sleep. Took the Pepcid daily started with 10mg and then graduated to 20mg. 

The huge thing that helped me was cutting my alcohol intake down, especially beer. I don’t even take Pepcid anymore. 

Alcohol is the main trigger for me. Limit my intake and acid reflux becomes very manageable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm no where near that but I admire a man that has his priorities straight!

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do 4x that, and it doesn't seem to help much...

Pushing that accelerator and brake pedal doesn't work up much of a sweat 🙂

I've got plenty of hypocrisies that I live with and it's ok for now. I feel like if I do my 6 miles every single day I can do whatever else I want. My Dr hates me for it....she's like I can't wait for the year where I can actually tell you something bad is coming. Haha.....which probably means I die of heart attack soon and I'll never be heard from ever again on here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I've got plenty of hypocrisies that I live with and it's ok for now. I feel like if I do my 6 miles every single day I can do whatever else I want. My Dr hates me for it....she's like I can't wait for the year where I can actually tell you something bad is coming. Haha.....which probably means I die of heart attack soon and I'll never be heard from ever again on here.

Same! I’ll work out and lift like a beast so I can keep enjoying cocktail hour and an evening hit or three of the demon weed. 

• Like 1