Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm here to report that I have NOT been contacted by IU about becoming their next head basketball coach.  In the event that they do, I will post the news exclusively on HSN first.  

FINALLY all the money I pour into this site will count for SOMETHING

• Haha 4

I’ll go on record as saying Pearl isn’t my first choice, but that he is a safe choice to help us get back traction.

I’d also add that although his age is a concern, I’d see a man like him coaching for 5-6 more years regardless, BUT if at his dream job probably more like 7-9 years. Just my gut feeling.

"A Coach progressing vs. a Coach regressing".  Several family members are Minny fans and know plenty about losing seasons.  I remember earlier this year some Hoosiers fans on this site being fearful that IU was falling to the level of MInny.  Here are some interesting comparisons as of this week.  IU 14-12 with average losing margin of 14 pts. (includes 7 losses by 14 to 28 pts).  Minn is 16-9 with avg losing margin of 8 pts (one loss of 18 pts, all other losses by 2 to 11).  Both teams avg 12 turnovers and shoot about 67% FTs.  Minn gets 3 more assists and 1 more RB per game.  Coach Ben Johnson, age 43, had losing seasons in year 1&2 of his tenure. This year he has produced a substantial improvement.  Woody, age 60+, had winning seasons in Yrs 1 & 2 (with key production of TJD and JHS).  Year 3 has been a huge disappointment.  Embarrassing losses at AH to PS, NB and NW are a bad omen for the future.  Johnson is paid $2 mill and Woody $4 mill.  Sure looks like IU has some catching up to do if they want to match Minny this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Hoosier83 said:

Do you have zero college basketball coaching experience and run an outdated nba offense? If so, I expect IU to be in touch soon 

But I dont dye my white hair and will collect social security in 4 years.  Will you consider me?

20 minutes ago, John S said:

"A Coach progressing vs. a Coach regressing".  Several family members are Minny fans and know plenty about losing seasons.  I remember earlier this year some Hoosiers fans on this site being fearful that IU was falling to the level of MInny.  Here are some interesting comparisons as of this week.  IU 14-12 with average losing margin of 14 pts. (includes 7 losses by 14 to 28 pts).  Minn is 16-9 with avg losing margin of 8 pts (one loss of 18 pts, all other losses by 2 to 11).  Both teams avg 12 turnovers and shoot about 67% FTs.  Minn gets 3 more assists and 1 more RB per game.  Coach Ben Johnson, age 43, had losing seasons in year 1&2 of his tenure. This year he has produced a substantial improvement.  Woody, age 60+, had winning seasons in Yrs 1 & 2 (with key production of TJD and JHS).  Year 3 has been a huge disappointment.  Embarrassing losses at AH to PS, NB and NW are a bad omen for the future.  Johnson is paid $2 mill and Woody $4 mill.  Sure looks like IU has some catching up to do if they want to match Minny this year.

Ben Johnson picked up Elijah Hawkins as a transfer PG from Howard U (former DeMatha player) and he leads the country with 7.6 assists per game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Wanna see a good coach? Watch the women’s team spank Iowa right now. Watch the chemistry and continuity from our lady Hoosiers. Smart efficient offense and in your face defense. Pride heart and high energy. Win or lose this game you can be proud that these girls will leave it all on the floor. 

Tell me one IU men’s player that can shoot the rock like some of these ladies. Not a single one can do what these girls do in game. They are the face of Terry Morens character, attitude, energy and IQ.

These ladies aren’t near as athletic as the men but much higher in fundamentals. Terrys ability to translate and connect with her team is obvious. 

It’s shocking the difference in the ability to shoot between the two teams. It’s night and day

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You guys are needing to step up because BTB thread is up to 210 pages on firing Woodson.

It is funny an anonymous guy on Twitter post something about IU and Pearl it causes such an uproar

Thanks for the heads up Scotty R.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Wanna see a good coach? Watch the women’s team spank Iowa right now. Watch the chemistry and continuity from our lady Hoosiers. Smart efficient offense and in your face defense. Pride heart and high energy. Win or lose this game you can be proud that these girls will leave it all on the floor. 

Tell me one IU men’s player that can shoot the rock like some of these ladies. Not a single one can do what these girls do in game. They are the face of Terry Morens character, attitude, energy and IQ.

These ladies aren’t near as athletic as the men but much higher in fundamentals. Terrys ability to translate and connect with her team is obvious. 

The ladies play like IU men’s used to play in the 80’s and 90’s….

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

After watching the girls play, it got me thinking. maybe we hire Dawn Staley the womens coach of the #1 team in the country to replace Woody. Man that would check a lot of boxes.

Oh boy. Let me tell you, that would never work lol 

Staley is willing to play 10-11 girls on any night. 9 of them avg 13+ mins a game, none of them avg over 28mpg. 

Non-starter for the IU brethen. 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

After watching the girls play, it got me thinking. maybe we hire Dawn Staley the womens coach of the #1 team in the country to replace Woody. Man that would check a lot of boxes.

I'm definitely not one of these "misogynist" guys that thinks women shouldn't be in men's sports. But that would be a "Canary in the Coal Mine" situation and I'm not sure we are in the position of doing that. There was talk years ago about Pat Summitt coaching men's basketball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

As someone that has seen this attempted at the HS level I don't believe it would work for all kinds of reasons. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Oh boy. Let me tell you, that would never work lol 

Staley is willing to play 10-11 girls on any night. 9 of them avg 13+ mins a game, none of them avg over 28mpg. 

Non-starter for the IU brethen. 

I could only imagine what Scott would have to say about that kind of rotation…