Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Self was there last year

See the next post.  Lazy Self still landed Flory while no showing his state championship game.  

Like I said, only in Indiana and the Indiana fan base do we magnify the state tourney.  And maybe rightfully so, it's what makes Indiana basketball truly mean something.   And what @Billingsley99 just said is 100% true.  But don't throw gas hastily at a fire if you aren't ready for a little burn.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

See the next post.  Lazy Self still landed Flory while no showing his state championship game.  

Like I said, only in Indiana and the Indiana fan base do we magnify the state tourney.  And maybe rightfully so, it's what makes Indiana basketball truly mean something.   And what @Billingsley99 just said is 100% true.  But don't throw gas hastily at a fire if you aren't ready for a little burn.  

I said Self was at that game he just didn't sit where the others coaches were. I saw him there

37 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Hate on MP if you want but he’s a basketball junky.  He sits with the “fans” 

Find anyone who doesn’t like him or the players/coaches he surrounds himself with.  I think CMW is a good guy from everything I’ve heard/read….trying to adjust to college coaching in a fish bowl 

I'd help Painter pack up his house if he wanted to move to Bloomington. He's a great coach and only a fool would think otherwise.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Is the reaction to Woodson not showing up to any sectional games a little over the top?  I don’t know, maybe.  But when I hear of players’ parents and families liking tweets criticizing Woodson for it, it’s obvious that Woodson’s no-show didn’t help anything.  As to the theme that it’s “only one day of sectionals” or “only the first round of the tournament” ….. it’s a tournament.  The thing about a tournament is only half the teams advance.  If I’m a college coach and wanna make sure I see my guy(s), the first round is when I need to be there.  Woodson’s already lost his chance to see Sisley.

Not sure about you, but when the proverbial shit is hitting the fan with my profession, I double down the effort to get it turned around.  This year, all I have seen is the status quo and a general ho hum attitude from across the board.  This is what has made me turn.  I can take losing, if I know or feel there is a plan of a attack to get things flipped.  I have not seen anything to lead me to believe this is happening.

This is why everything is being scrutinized.  There has been no pivot, no adjustments, no accountability, no introspection.  It's  beyond bizarre to be completely blunt and honest. 

• Like 5

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

Not sure about you, but when the proverbial shit is hitting the fan with my profession, I double down the effort to get it turned around.  This year, all I have seen is the status quo and a general ho hum attitude from across the board.  This is what has made me turn.  I can take losing, if I know or feel there is a plan of a attack to get things flipped.  I have not seen anything to lead me to believe this is happening.

This is why everything is being scrutinized.  There has been no pivot, no adjustments, no accountability, no introspection.  It's  beyond bizarre to be completely blunt and honest. 

Exactly but he feels insolated and untouchable. at least that is how I perceive it. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I want a good roster construction. Which includes 4 year kids and experienced vets.  Might get that from the portal, might also have that from HS recruiting.  Balance is needed.

....seems like teams like Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin always has rosters like that......

Edited by Artesian_86

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly but he feels insolated and untouchable. at least that is how I perceive it. 

The whole program feels flat lacking any sort of emotion both good and bad, which is probably the worst possible place to be.  I always tell my team the worst thing that I can get from them is not to feel their presence...this is what I am getting from the program currently.  It feels like it is going through the motions. We need someone who is going to modernize it in a big way.  

I love our history, but I want someone who will get their hands dirty from the coaching all the way into the marketing into the apparel.  It is all stale right now and it is frustrating. 

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The families of these players know that and the other staffs are aware as well and trust me it is being used. There is a strong narrative out there that guys like Sisley and Mullins do not fit what CMW is looking for.  As a high school player in the state of Indiana having the IU staff show up for your sectional game just means a little more. When the best program in the state the past decade makes the effort and says this is why we are where we are with guys just like you that fit OUR system the kids and parents are listening. For each of these guys every game the rest of this year could be their last competitive game of the year. Having the staff there is important. We all know what AAU is, not knocking I got my coaching start there but its not the same. IU is BLOWING it with 2 in state kids that mark my words will kill us for 4 years at either PU or ND. I said it with Braden Smith and I am saying it again. this staff is losing the recruiting battle in state and  on the court to PU. 

....I was a huge advocate of Brayden Smith, Jack Benter and Kanon Catchings to IU. Those are the "ones IU seems to ALWAYS mess up on landing". JMO

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was two years ago he didn't attend the championship games, I was there and saw plenty of other coaches there 

....also, how many times have coaches gone to watch games and found someone else that they didn't realize was out there or actually played better than they though? 😵🧐

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Indykev said:

so does IU...No more sat or act unless you are Kelly. Record class sizes 4 years in a row and counting. That IU degree used to be worth something, now you might as well go to Ivy Tech. Same thing just cheaper.

That's not entirely true. My brother's daughter didn't get in from out of state and she was accepted to PSU and a dozen other schools just as good as IU. Seems like you are not a big fan of the school? 

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....seems like teams like Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin always has rosters like that......

We should be able to have the same foundational type players and then add the elevation from top flight talent, from Indiana or across the nation.  Even with the dumpster fire of a program we have been for the last 25 years.  Look at the amount of talent we have still accumulated.  We just haven't had a coach who can put it all together.  Maybe Coach Woodson can do that starting next year, maybe he can't.

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This response is not directed at your statement just following up on what you said. The difference is we are light years behind the program that is out there doing it so even if there is no advantage the optics appear that way for sure. Maybe once upon a time IU could just swoop in like Kansas does or UK or Duke and get the prom queen to say yes because of who they are but those days are gone. If we want her we have to court her and make her think she is the one. Matt painter is great at that.  Almost every recruit that Coach Knight showed up at games have talked about what that meant to them. No Coach has to be at all games but they need to be somewhere visible. A big part of this job is being visible and the optics. In the day of social media you have to be out and about and Painter is. Like him or not most IU fans are envious of him and his program. I would rather be ranked #1 and lose the first weekend every year than to be where IU is. Yet Painter is out there being where he needs to be to bring in kids year in and out that kick our ass. Its not a hard concept for anyone to understand. being at one game probably does not make a difference overall but the accumulation does. Get out and see the kids that you want in your program. 

.....if you can't make it, you better d#mn well make sure you message the guy, wish him good luck and send an assistant in your place.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

But IMO, that story isn’t a negatively reflection on what he can and can not handle. If anything, it shows grit and perseverance. It shows that he built a final four team at a school with horrible facilities and resources.  

Oh, what he's done has been very impressive. But until the tournament last year it was done in obscurity. This year they've had more exposure, as far as televised games, but the spotlight still isn't nearly as bright as it would be in Bloomington. The feel good story of being a former manager would be over with the first loss at AH. 

Look at what happened to Mike Davis (Final Four), Tom Crean (Final Four) and Archie Miller (Elite Eight). It's potentially a great place to coach, but it's also potentially a miserable place to be for a coach and his family. 

That's the benefit of hiring someone like Pearl or Beard (and I'm sure there are others). They wouldn't be phased by it. 

15 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Sorry, but that’s just satire, right? Painter went to see prospective recruits just to troll IU fans on social media?

Painter shows up to watch him and now it’s confirmed that Sisley will be at the Purdue game Saturday night. Could he have shown up even if Painter didn’t come see him? Sure but there’s no doubt there’s correlation between CMP showing up Wednesday and Sisley coming for another visit not long after his last visit. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....if you can't make it, you better d#mn well make sure you message the guy, wish him good luck and send an assistant in your place.

In three years, IU has zero recruits from Indiana. Galloway, Leal and Gunn were all Archie recruits. Sparks was a transfer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Painter shows up to watch him and now it’s confirmed that Sisley will be at the Purdue game Saturday night. Could he have shown up even if Painter didn’t come see him? Sure but there’s no doubt there’s correlation between CMP showing up Wednesday and Sisley coming for another visit not long after his last visit. 

Even someone like me can connect those dots. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Indianas incompetence has been of great benefit to Painter.

Another thing on this you have not seen any one complain about the staff not going to tournament games for the out of state recruits. It is two in state recruits who were playing and hour and a half from your campus. It is two kids I assume you want the come to IU since you offered them scholarships. I guess we shouldn't expect our coaches to actually do their jobs which recruiting is a major part of that.  If I only did half of what of what my job requirements are I wouldn't have that job very long

• Like 7

Sisley will end up being a Purdue commit sooner rather than later and it's all because Painter knows how to make a player a priority and Mike Woodson doesn't. There's a reason Painter has a program in Purdue that is rolling like IU should be. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 5