Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool! Appreciate the follow up. I know nothing at all. However I would say this. The very people who know so much might be part of the problem the last 2 decades. We have to be the only fanbase in the country that worries about attending high school sectionals. Of course one or 6 of the tribe will come along and say ahh yes. The fans fault. I will offer this. Doing it the same way over and over again?

PS...if Woody is still here. Both Sisley and Mullins are Hoosiers. I'll also add JH to the list but the great part about this board is able to have differing opinions right....even if one side of the teeter totter is a bit heavy.

Sounds like the opposite from what is being said about Sisley and Mullins. I guess Mullins dad like the tweet about where were IU coaches at Wednesday 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like the opposite from what is being said about Sisley and Mullins. I guess Mullins dad like the tweet about where were IU coaches at Wednesday 

I think your best chance with Sisley is bringing in a new coach and hoping he can make up a ton of ground quickly. Keeping Woodson likely wouldn’t help in his recruitment IMO. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly said Dolson met with some notable former players today and the message was simple. They want Woodson GONE! 

I know others have responded with fun names from IU's recent past, but their inclusion brings up an interesting point: who's opinion matters most, and how much of that is dictated by their on-court performance?

This program has a LOT of former players, and not everyone knows (let alone like) one another. To cherrypick "some" is quite arbitrary and causes a slippery slope.

I can list a myriad of different players who have accomplished wildly different things; what makes their opinions matter more than someone else's?

Marco Killingsworth likely carries favor with most IU fans, although his time in Bloomington was short. Does his opinion matter more than Verdell Jones, who played 4 years? We all love Calbert, but he never played for a National Championship like AJ Moye did.

Just food for thought.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I know others have responded with fun names from IU's recent past, but their inclusion brings up an interesting point: who's opinion matters most, and how much of that is dictated by their on-court performance?

This program has a LOT of former players, and not everyone knows (let alone like) one another. To cherrypick "some" is quite arbitrary and causes a slippery slope.

I can list a myriad of different players who have accomplished wildly different things; what makes their opinions matter more than someone else's?

Marco Killingsworth likely carries favor with most IU fans, although his time in Bloomington was short. Does his opinion matter more than Verdell Jones, who played 4 years? We all love Calbert, but he never played for a National Championship like AJ Moye did.

Just food for thought.

I think the most important opinion is Devan Dumes. Are you gonna look him in the eye and tell him his opinion doesn't matter?

I know I'm sure not going to tell him that. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool! Appreciate the follow up. I know nothing at all. However I would say this. The very people who know so much might be part of the problem the last 2 decades. We have to be the only fanbase in the country that worries about attending high school sectionals. Of course one or 6 of the tribe will come along and say ahh yes. The fans fault. I will offer this. Doing it the same way over and over again?

PS...if Woody is still here. Both Sisley and Mullins are Hoosiers. I'll also add JH to the list but the great part about this board is able to have differing opinions right....even if one side of the teeter totter is a bit heavy.

image.gif.cd233e52ce2496c86ed10d409e711bdc.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

probably Calbert and Jordy lol. In all honesty I’d guess Evans and other than that I’m not sure but he seems like an obvious guess

Just as a follow up, some on Peegs were asking if it was 2 or closer to 10. Rabby responded by saying “I get the very strong vibe it is well north of 10.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly said Dolson met with some notable former players today and the message was simple. They want Woodson GONE! 

All the respect in the world as I've stated...but which players? Pre or post internet? If it's post I don't know if I take their opinions with the winning ways. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One of the players parents liked a tweet questioning why the Indiana coaches were not out the other night.  Showing up is a big part of recruiting whether you want to acknowledge that or not.  The kids these days want to feel the love and have a connection with staff.  There are other things that factor in too, obviously, but denying that presence plays a pretty significant part is just denying reality.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

All the respect in the world as I've stated...but which players? Pre or post internet? If it's post I don't know if I take their opinions with the winning ways. 

Internet has been around over 30 years.  Even the "You've got mail" players are approaching 50.  I don't think 60 and 70 year olds are as in tune to the modern realities of college athletics like the younger guys.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

One of the players parents liked a tweet questioning why the Indiana coaches were not out the other night.  Showing up is a big part of recruiting whether you want to acknowledge that or not.  The kids these days want to feel the love and have a connection with staff.  There are other things that factor in too, obviously, but denying that presence plays a pretty significant part is just denying reality.

Bingo. And some games are bigger than others. And IF it’s true he said he’d be there and then didn’t even have an asst come, that isn’t just not a positive that is a HUGE negative in forming a relationship.

Imagine you’re a kid trying to decide and for YOU this is a huge moment in your life and other coaches show up and one doesn’t? Think that single moment isn’t going to make a big impression? Fooling yourself if you say otherwise.

It’s been proven time and again the biggest factor for these kids to decide on a school is the relationship they have with the head coach and staff. You build that relationship over time but you can wreck it VERY quickly.

Great recruiters are seizing every moment they can to build that relationship with the kid and family. It’s extremely competitive. Missing a game like this is huge. It’s not another regular season game it’s one where a recruit EXPECTS to see the coaches.

Woodson screwed up HUGE on this one game. THIS one he must be at and he wasn’t and didn’t have a legit excuse. That’s enormous 

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 4

Based on personal experience, advice I’ve given to younger peers is that a company will never treat you better than they will when they’re recruiting you. If you don’t feel the love during the hiring process, it won’t get better if you work for them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Long time reader, first time poster...

This is the first year in all my time where I'm looking forward to the season being over... there was just nothin' about this team that you could say they do 'well.' A style of play that only a mother could love...  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Internet has been around over 30 years.  Even the "You've got mail" players are approaching 50.  I don't think 60 and 70 year olds are as in tune to the modern realities of college athletics like the younger guys.  

Not sure I’ll take the 60-70 year old opinions either. There hasn’t been one high level successful coach of that bunch either. And the game is drastically different today than when they played. It’s more of Dolson making them feel valued and part of the program. 

I’m shocked that it’s been so long of IU being down that the powers that be at the university haven’t figured out the magic formula to winning. It’s really not that hard. College and pro sports are totally different. NBA is about elite players. College basketball is about elite coaches. Go hire a F’ing elite coach and all this madness will stop. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

did help the cotton mouth though right?

I was more a late night Baja blast with grilled stuffed burrito guy to satisfy my thirsts.  

Definitely interested to see the effects of a real sugar Mt Dew after not having one for 15 years.   I'm guessing I'll be disappointed.   

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I just can’t handle high does of sugar anymore, I feel it in my middle age head lol.

It's a drug and should be treated as such.  My 5 year old is a maniac on any form of artificial stuff, sweets and treats.  We threw out a ton of candy he has accumulated from Halloween, Thanksgiving,  Christmas, valatines and kids birthdays at school.   Between the dyes and sugar, he literally can't stop himself.  So we chucked it and are now telling grandma, no more.  Teachers, don't allow him to eat any processed sugar crap.  

In January I did 3 weeks no sweets and treats and I did feel better, more clear.  Fixing to go back on it.  

Sorry, we can take this over to the dieting thread.  Back to please retire gracefully coach.  

• Like 2