Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

This was from 2 days ago...

and @The Daily Hoosier's article was from today...

Goodman may have said it before, but apparently you're the only one listening to him                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ..................................................................................................................................................

I heard it in one of his podcast a month or so ago with this same guy with him.

1 hour ago, rico said:

He is another one of those sports journalists that makes a decent living off printing garbage.

I think the other guy was worse! The thing with questioning Coach Woodson is so many people are not paying attention to the staff he has! Hulls can absolutely teach 3pt shooting! The front court has Calbert mentoring them! Underestimate IU this year at your peril!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

I think the other guy was worse! The thing with questioning Coach Woodson is so many people are not paying attention to the staff he has! Hulls can absolutely teach 3pt shooting! The front court has Calbert mentoring them! Underestimate IU this year at your peril!

A helluva lot of these "experts" don't do their homework.  They just cobble up something that they call sports journalism and sell it to the public.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would I because it is no big deal. A lot of times they have a long show then they cut it up into segments and then out them out later.

I personally read this board to be made aware of things exactly like this.  I dont actively seek out IU stories on the internet, nor listen to sports talk radio, follow twitter, or live in a media market that promotes IU sports.

But, I do watch Reds games, and have never made a big deal about it when you post a game update that I already know about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So once again, Jeff Goodman questions our coach...

“Sometimes I think Mike Woodson is still coaching like he’s back in the ’80s or ’90s instead of moving forward with the way basketball has adapted here,” Goodman said.  “He’s not adapting with the game.”

😮

That may go down as the most ignominious statement Goodman has made...Of course, it might have a ways to go to supplant "Sorry, Indiana: Mike Woodson Is No Juwan Howard"

No, he's most certainly not...Woody is 3-1 head to head against Howard...2-0 last year when Michigan had 2 of the top 15 picks in the NBA draft and a concensus All-American playing for him, and our coach was dealing with a boatload of injuries ...His team finished just behind Howard's Wolverines in 2022, and ahead of them last year...On the recruiting front (which was Goodman's biggest concern) 

image.png.c20715f729829c973eeeb037e786a9e3.png

Sorry it's so small...Had to shrink it to get Michigan in there... :D 

Also, Woody hasn't lost a concensus All American and 3 time All Big 10 selection...

Oh, and he's yet to slap anybody in handshake line :) 

So, get ready Mr Goodman 

Shaun the sheep egg on your face GIF - Find on GIFER

(Actually kinda looks like him :) )

Has Purdue finished ahead of IU in recruiting in 50 years ?

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would I because it is no big deal.

Oh, I don't know... A talking (empty) head saying something like that about our coach is the bedrock of off season banter for an IU forum like this...

Or is that reserved for bitching about NIL and the ruination of college sports? 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I personally read this board to be made aware of things exactly like this.  I dont actively seek out IU stories on the internet, nor listen to sports talk radio, follow twitter, or live in a media market that promotes IU sports.

But, I do watch Reds games, and have never made a big deal about it when you post a game update that I already know about.

Where am I making a big deal out of this being posted. Just brought up I heard these statements over a month ago and wondering why it is just being discussed now.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, I don't know... A talking (empty) head saying something like that about our coach is the bedrock of off season banter for an IU forum like this...

Or is that reserved for bitching about NIL and the ruination of college sports? 

Not a big deal to me because I couldn't care less what Goodman thinks of IU. This was actually the discussion on Assembly Call last night and wonder why they just decided to discuss it now. I didn't realize they just reposted that episode the last couple of days 

Edited by IU Scott

Goodman talks about Indiana negatively because:

1.  Negatively talking about sports teams tends to get a reaction more than positivity and

2.  We are the premier fan base in this area.  Next to no one gives a crap about a team like Iowa basketball right now.  He has to sling sh** to get clicks and slinging sh** against big and invested fan bases tends to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I think shooting and guard play is a valid concern.  Most of our talent is concentrated in our bigs.

I don't think his comments were that unreasonable.   We all hope every player improves their outside shooting among other things but I would guess that won't be our strength.

There is no substance to anything he says though. It's lazy, at best. 

"Sometimes I think Mike Woodson is still coaching like he’s back in the ’80s or ’90s instead of moving forward with the way basketball has adapted here,” Goodman said.  “He’s not adapting with the game.”

Like what in actual f*** is that quote? 

Completely disregards the fact that the offense we have ran the past two years gave INDIANA THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAD. Damn. That isn't rocket science to see/grasp/understand. Completely disregards the offense he ran in the pros.. with ya know, Carmelo at the 4 plenty. Shits wild lol .... Goodman is dumb, honestly. 

I would love to see Jeff Goodman come up with a workable, modern offense with the talent we had 1-3 the past two seasons. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Goodman talks about Indiana negatively because:

1.  Negatively talking about sports teams tends to get a reaction more than positivity and

2.  We are the premier fan base in this area.  Next to no one gives a crap about a team like Iowa basketball right now.  He has to sling sh** to get clicks and slinging sh** against big and invested fan bases tends to do that.

I agree with this. Just have more to back up your (Goodman's) opinion, other than "derrr, they run offense through the post, so Mike Woodson is old and can't adjust to modern times". Smh 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sometimes I think Mike Woodson is still coaching like he’s back in the ’80s or ’90s instead of moving forward with the way basketball has adapted here,” Goodman said.  “He’s not adapting with the game.”

Completely disregards the fact that the offense we have ran the past two years gave INDIANA THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAD. Damn. That isn't rocket science to see/grasp/understand. Completely disregards the offense he ran in the pros.. with ya know, Carmelo at the 4 plenty. Shits wild lol .... Goodman is dumb, honestly. 

I would love to see Jeff Goodman come up with a workable, modern offense with the talent we had 1-3 the past two seasons. 

That, coupled with “I really like the accumulation of talent … but I don’t know,” Goodman said.  “I’m all about roster construction, but I don’t know if I love the roster construction (at Indiana)"

Like he knows more than a guy who has played and coached at the highest levels for 40+ years? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sometimes I think Mike Woodson is still coaching like he’s back in the ’80s or ’90s instead of moving forward with the way basketball has adapted here,” Goodman said.  “He’s not adapting with the game.”

Maybe it's just how the dice rolled with who was willing to come here but Woodson has had the opportunity to bring in more guards/shooting and he hasn't really done that.    We brought in a lot of bigs instead and again will likely be tailoring our offense to that fact.

I like Woodson and glad that he is fitting our offense/defense based on the cards that he was dealt (and has dealt himself) but he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get to that 4 out 1 in with lots of good shooters. 

3 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Maybe it's just how the dice rolled with who was willing to come here but Woodson has had the opportunity to bring in more guards/shooting and he hasn't really done that.    We brought in a lot of bigs instead and again will likely be tailoring our offense to that fact.

I like Woodson and glad that he is fitting our offense/defense based on the cards that he was dealt (and has dealt himself) but he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get to that 4 out 1 in with lots of good shooters. 

Or... his best PG got hurt last year, so we had to alter some things. I think we would have played 4 good to solid shooters a lot together last year, had it not been for Race's and XJ's injuries. 

We brought in 4 perimeter players, or the equivalency this past off-season. Along with 3 posts. 

We are going to have run 5 guys out there this year, in the starting lineup, that can knock down the three-ball. Seems to be in plenty of a hurry. 

• Like 2

On Assembly Call they discussed 8 different statements those two made. It was a good show and a lot of what they said is the same that is being said here.  One thing I would tell Goodman is go back and watch the college game from the 80's and 90's. In those years teams didn't do a lot of pick and roles and only played through the post. In those years you actually saw player movement and screening to get guys open. Maybe he should say that he was stuck in the mid  90's to early 2000's NBA.

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or... his best PG got hurt last year, so we had to alter some things. I think we would have played 4 good to solid shooters a lot together last year, had it not been for Race's and XJ's injuries. 

We brought in 4 perimeter players, or the equivalency this past off-season. Along with 3 posts. 

We are going to have run 5 guys out there this year, in the starting lineup, that can knock down the three-ball. Seems to be in plenty of a hurry. 

what 5 guys are we going to have that will be good from outside?

I know that XJ was hurt but his strength was his suffocating defense and driving to the hoop more than outside shooting.  This year, we have XJ, TG and some unknowns that we are just hoping for improvement.   TG upped his outside shooting but his volume was too low.   

It's hopes and dreams if you're expecting all of the starting bigs to be threats from outside.  Mgbako and possibly Ware could be decent outside shots but that would still be banking on improvement from last year (in Ware's case).    I highly doubt Reneau will be hurting anyone from outside and Sparks definitely won't (but he will likely come off the bench).

Edited by iuswingman

18 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

what 5 guys are we going to have that will be good from outside?

I know that XJ was hurt but his strength was his suffocating defense and driving to the hoop more than outside shooting.  This year, we have XJ, TG and some unknowns that we are just hoping for improvement.   TG upped his outside shooting but his volume was too low.   

It's hopes and dreams if you're expecting all of the starting bigs to be threats from outside.  Mgbako and possibly Ware could be decent outside shots but that would still be banking on improvement from last year (in Ware's case).    I highly doubt Reneau will be hurting anyone from outside and Sparks definitely won't (but he will likely come off the bench).

XJ, TG, MM, MR, and KW. 

XJ shot 38% from 3 his first year at IU, 37% last season until the injury, regardless of what his best attribute was/is... we very much missed his ability to score on the perimeter, his ability to create for others, and his ability to get to the FT line. 

It's not a hope or dream at all. It's already in their skill sets. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

XJ, TG, MM, MR, and KW. 

XJ shot 38% from 3 his first year at IU, 37% last season until the injury, regardless of what his best attribute was/is... we very much missed his ability to score on the perimeter, his ability to create for others, and his ability to get to the FT line. 

It's not a hope or dream at all. It's already in their skill sets. 

2 good shooters (XJ, TG), 2 hopefully alright shooters (MM, KW) and not an outside threat at all (MR) does not equate to all of them being able to shoot from outside..at least 

Last year XJ only attempted 2.5 3s per game.  TG attempted less than 2 3s per game.  Lets not act like they were doing a lot of damage from behind the arc.  The year before XJ was slightly under 3 attempts per game and TG was slightly over 1 attempt per game.

Edited by iuswingman