Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

22 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

not an outside threat at all (MR)

Malik shot 8 3s last year, hitting 2...And all the reports from players this summer say he's not only taking them in scrimmages, but making them as well...He has good form, and I'm sure he's worked on it...So whether he's a legit outside threat remains to be seen...But what we've heard so far is promising...

As far as Kel'el Ware goes, it's not just the 3 point shot...it's midrange too...He's pretty serviceable from 15 feet, something Trayce wasn't (and to be honest, I think Trayce could have been but always felt more comfortable posting up, or taking guys off the dribble)...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Malik shot 8 3s last year, hitting 2...And all the reports from players this summer say he's not only taking them in scrimmages, but making them as well...He has good form, and I'm sure he's worked on it...So wheter he's a legit outside threat remains to be seen...But what we've heard so far is promising...

As far as Kel'el Ware goes, it's not just the 3 point shot...it's midrange too...He's pretty serviceable from 15 feet, something Trayce wasn't (and to be honest, I think Trayce could have been but always felt more comfortable posting up, or taking guys off the dribble)...

My main point was Goodman's viewpoint wasn't all that unreasonable.

Hopefully MR's shooting has improved but I have long ago learned not to count my chickens before they hatch when it comes to improvement during the offseason.  Offseason is always the time for articles shooting rainbows and unicorns about how awesome the team/players are looking to stoke excitement.  Been an IU football fan too long to not take salt with my sporting news.

Edited by iuswingman

If you thought what Goodman said was bad you should hear what a OSU football beat writer said about IU football. He was just on our local kid day show about realignment and the big ten. Was asked about the opener vs IU and that OSU was favored by 28.5 and this writer said it should he closer to 50. He said there are 4 games on the OSU that is not a guarantee win and IU is not one of those 4 games. Could go on but it was flattering. Probably all true but the entitlement of OSU is just so frustrating to listen to

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Hopefully MR's shooting has improved but I have long ago learned not to count my chickens before they hatch when it comes to improvement during the offseason.  Offseason is always the time for articles shooting rainbows and unicorns about how awesome the team/players are looking to stoke excitement.  Been an IU football fan too long not take salt with my sporting news.

Again, the skillset is already there. It was there last year. Malik could have stood in a corner and shot 30% last year. 

I have no idea about the unicorns or rainbows or whatever. I am talking about their capabilities as a basketball player. 

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Hopefully MR's shooting has improved but I have long ago learned not to count my chickens before they hatch when it comes to improvement during the offseason.  Offseason is always the time for articles shooting rainbows and unicorns about how awesome the team/players are looking to stoke excitement.  Been an IU football fan too long not take salt with my sporting news.

Well, it's an opinion just like yours and mine...I do think Coach Woodson is very good at player development...And I do think we have talent (which Goodman conceded)...I think his take on Trey was off, saying he won't shoot 46% from 3 again this year...Maybe not, but I bet he finishes close to 40% at a higher volume...and that's fine with me...

Every team in the nation has their question mark sat this point ...And I understand the reticence on the part of IU fans...

But it's a new era...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I personally read this board to be made aware of things exactly like this.  I dont actively seek out IU stories on the internet, nor listen to sports talk radio, follow twitter, or live in a media market that promotes IU sports.

But, I do watch Reds games, and have never made a big deal about it when you post a game update that I already know about.

Same here.  I do listen to podcasts in the car, but for the most part my sports time is spent on boards.  You will get far better discussion on IU here than anywhere else, IMO.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Again, the skillset is already there. It was there last year. Malik could have stood in a corner and shot 30% last year. 

I have no idea about the unicorns or rainbows or whatever. I am talking about their capabilities as a basketball player. 

MR was 2/8 from 3pt range (25%).  Hardly the deep threat. But good job trying to cherry pick stats.

Unicorns and rainbows comment was just in reference to all the articles over the years that have a tendency to overhype players during the offseason.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you thought what Goodman said was bad you should hear what a OSU football beat writer said about IU football. He was just on our local kid day show about realignment and the big ten. Was asked about the opener vs IU and that OSU was favored by 28.5 and this writer said it should he closer to 50. He said there are 4 games on the OSU that is not a guarantee win and IU is not one of those 4 games. Could go on but it was flattering. Probably all true but the entitlement of OSU is just so frustrating to listen to

send it to Tom Allen.  He's giving 50?  Where do I get that bet?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

MR was 2/8 from 3pt range (25%).  Hardly the deep threat. But good job trying to cherry pick stats.

Unicorns and rainbows comment was just in reference to all the articles over the years that have a tendency to overhype players during the offseason.

I don't read articles about our players, generally. I'm not sure what 2/8 from 3 matters? If you think that proves he isn't a threat, more power to ya. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, it's an opinion just like yours and mine...I do think Coach Woodson is very good at player development...And I do think we have talent (which Goodman conceded)...I think his take on Trey was off, saying he won't shoot 46% from 3 again this year...Maybe not, but I bet he finishes close to 40% at a higher volume...and that's fine with me...

Every team in the nation has their question mark sat this point ...And I understand the reticence on the part of IU fans...

But it's a new era...

Trey at anything over 35% with more volume is fantastic with everything else he brings to the table. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

he would have to shoot at a higher percentage for defenses to consider him a threat and that is all that matters.

I see both sides here and without arguing semantics, I would say.... if he was standing behind the three point line with the ball, is someone guarding him, or do they have a foot in the lane?

The former is all that is needed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I see both sides here and without arguing semantics, I would say.... if he was standing behind the three point line with the ball, is someone guarding him, or do they have a foot in the lane?

Bingo!!! And they aren't giving Malik the Race treatment. Don't care about the %s, nothing else... 

You hit the nail on the head, "will teams have to close out on him?"..  and imo, yes. Same with Ware. 

Edited by btownqb

Goodman and the other guys take was fair

laughed a little at the reasoning IU and Woodson was stuck in the 80s because we have 3 guys playing major minutes that considered big guys that can’t shoot is why we will not win in the list season. But Purdue is so good and was so good last year. They did acknowledge that none of them are slow big men. None of that guys have to be great shooters just have to make some and pull the defender out. All 3 should be able to be a threat from 15 and have the ability off the bounce and the post. This team is very interesting. Every one seems to forget that San Diego state wasn’t a great 3pt team. This team  has more scoring threats and balance than last years team. That makes them more dangerous. Interior defiant rebounding will be a question. But both could be better than last year because of length and quantity of guys. Johnson and Galloway might be the best defensive backcourt in the conference. 

4 hours ago, ledies22 said:

That was my point.  If he is a 25% shooter, why would anyone bother guarding him?

If he is improving this offseason then great because it will help a lot.

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

That was my point.  If he is a 25% shooter, why would anyone bother guarding him?

If he is improving this offseason then great because it will help a lot.

Yeah, but come on... 8 shots is a short sample size to definitively say Malik's "not an outside threat at all."

As I said, one of the more encouraging things coming out of the summer scrimmages was Malik's ability to shoot it... And it wasn't just one guy saying it

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but come on... 8 shots is a short sample size to definitively say Malik's "not an outside threat at all."

As I said, one of the more encouraging things coming out of the summer scrimmages was Malik's ability to shot it... And it wasn't just one guy saying it

It is too small a sample size to say he is a threat.   

No one is going to guard someone that is highly unlikely to shoot as well.  So that would be reason #2 to sag off MR if he is standing outside the arc

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

It is too small a sample size to say he is a threat.   

No one is going to guard someone that is highly unlikely to shoot as well.  So that would be reason #2 to sag off MR if he is standing outside the arc

Soo, you’re not a glass half full kind of guy are you?

11 hours ago, iuswingman said:

I am optimistic about this season.   I just don't see why some don't want to see that having doubts about our outside shooting is a legitimate concern.  

I understand the concern...

But I also see a ton of potential... A good amount of work put in, and, at least physically, noticeable improvement in Malik... I can only imagine that he worked as hard on his basketball skills as he did on his body...that, along with what other players are saying, make me optimistic...

Teams probably will sag on Malik initially... And I hope he makes them pay... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

We have went into many of the past 8-9 seasons with more hope so's than know so's. 

Lots of potential on paper.  The most important know so we have is our 6th year sr, 23 year old point guard.   Happens to be super fast, gets down hill with ease and can knock down open threes.  Not really a create on your own from outside guy but makes up for it with blow by speed to get to the rack.  And also happens to be one of the best on ball defenders in the league.   

If he plays with maturity, pose, and stays in the right head space, he's all conference and likely the biggest reason for major team success. 

Not real worried about the beef stocked up on the interior.  I wont just expect a major jump with 3 point percentages.  Don't really care to quibble about 27% vs 29%.  If Malik wants to be a pro, get better.   It looks like he's done body work, which was a major need of his this off season.  We do have reason for hope.  But this isn't a shooting team just yet.  

• Like 1