Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

On 8/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, Reacher said:

Don't forget we had one of the hardest schedules in the country last year. Looking forward to an easier conference schedule this year. 

If IU flipped Big 10 schedules with Turdue last year I think IU gets at least a share of the title 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m not defending Junky or agreeing with his narrative, but XJ has definitely had games where he forced shots late in games that were detrimental. You could argue he didn’t have a choice, but he’s definitely had those moments of not playing within himself. 

That was detrimental to the point that it "lost us the game"? IMO, no. 

I just don't think those possessions, two years ago when his running mate was Parker Stewart, and XJ had to create for EVERYONE (that was even before TJD was distributing well) ... should be the way we "grade" XJ. Someone has to shoot, at least if he shot Race/TJD could Oreb. 

I will never agree with Junkie that he is selfish, though. Makes mistakes, yes... I don't categorize him worse than others though. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That was detrimental to the point that it "lost us the game"? IMO, no. 

I just don't think those possessions, two years ago when his running mate was Parker Stewart, and XJ had to create for EVERYONE (that was even before TJD was distributing well) ... should be the way we "grade" XJ. Someone has to shoot, at least if he shot Race/TJD could Oreb. 

I will never agree with Junkie that he is selfish, though. Makes mistakes, yes... I don't categorize him worse than others though. 

I thought they were at the time, yes, but as you mentioned, I can buy the argument that it was necessary given the talent around him. I like XJ’s toughness, tenacity and am not grading him poorly, but do think he has his “out of control” moments. When he plays within himself he’s really good for us. That should be easier for him given the overall better talent this year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I thought they were at the time, yes, but as you mentioned, I can buy the argument that it was necessary given the talent around him. I like XJ’s toughness, tenacity and am not grading him poorly, but do think he has his “out of control” moments. When he plays within himself he’s really good for us. That should be easier for him given the overall better talent this year. 

Agree.  Remember..  my main premise here isn't only that "I think XJ is good"... it's also "where were we weak" XJ isnt perfect, but look at the types of teams that gave us trouble-- PSU x2, NW x2, Maryland, and Miami.. thats 6 of our 12 losses were to teams that exploited our lack of ability to defend little quick guards. 

IMO-- we needed another distributor, and another perimeter defender. What else XJ would have given us after that would have just been gravy. 

Last point-- we did have one HELLUVA win vs a team with very good guards in the pre conf. Xavier was a 3 seed, they win 81% of their games at home... we beat them, so there was a pretty good example of our ceiling when we were truly healthy.  

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, cthomas said:

I've not felt this good about an IU basketball coach in a long time.

I find it interesting that Self realized that he can no longer just show up with his hands in his pockets to compete with IU! He is actually having to work to try and compete! Same thing for Cal with Boogie! And yeah I know the Dukies think MM wasn’t good enough, but I’m sure the Duke staff took notice of where he ended up!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Here's my question for Woodson and staff... 

Why wouldn't we play some 2-3 zone with our starting lineup? That group seems to be tailored to play a zone well. 

3 young defenders, two guards that cover ground, and immense length from your front court. 

Just an opinion. 

I wasn't watching for it particularly closely, but I believe we did flash some zone yesterday, if I'm not mistaken.

44 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

In the first half by chance? Just standing there could easily be mistaken for a zone I suppose. :)

Ha! Good point, and yes. I remember seeing Gunn telling someone on the baseline to cover a shooter in the corner, and was thinking that might have been a 2-3, but your take is probably more accurate.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Here's my question for Woodson and staff... 

Why wouldn't we play some 2-3 zone with our starting lineup? That group seems to be tailored to play a zone well. 

3 young defenders, two guards that cover ground, and immense length from your front court. 

Just an opinion. 

Maybe he could ask Crean how to switch in the middle of the possession, so one or two guys get caught playing the wrong defense. 

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...