Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

39 minutes ago, Indykev said:

My follow up would have been, Coach do you watch any modern basketball at all or just old highlight film from your playing days. I watched my first NBA game the other night in 4 years and hell they couldn't get enough 3's shot in one trip.

Have you guys ever watched any games Woodson coached for the Knicks?  Ever looked at their stats?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

Do you think if Mike Woodson coached that team, he understands modern basketball?

I wouldn’t put that team in this era of basketball. Carmelo was their 3, which is about all the proof one should need to understand how they played vs how good teams today play  

While I do think the answer is yes, I don’t think that’s the example I’d use. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I wouldn’t put that team in this era of basketball. Carmelo was their 3, which is about all the proof one should need to understand how they played vs how good teams today play  

While I do think the answer is yes, I don’t think that’s the example I’d use. 

lol.  That team was at the forefront of this era of basketball.  They shot and made more threes than anybody in the league.  

Specifically who on our current team do you want shooting more threes?  Galloway?  He can’t make a free throw right now.  Johnson or Newton?  Oh yeah, they’re not playing.  Gunn?  Is he above 5% in his college career?  Mgbako?  Sure, maybe, but he’s still not consistent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

lol.  That team was at the forefront of this era of basketball.  They shot and made more threes than anybody in the league.  

Specifically who on our current team do you want shooting more threes?  Galloway?  He can’t make a free throw right now.  Johnson or Newton?  Oh yeah, they’re not playing.  Gunn?  Is he above 5% in his college career?  Mgbako?  Sure, maybe, but he’s still not consistent.

That team was not at the forefront of this era of basketball. They led the prior era of basketball in that regard, but they aren’t what led to this era.

And that Knicks team that he only coached for two full seasons before getting fired would be at the bottom of the league in threes today.

So yes, Woodson coached the Knicks and they were cutting edge for the era they played in, in terms of three point volume. The roster shifted bigger the next season, the three point attempts came down, and they finished below .500 and he got fired.

I honestly don’t know if the shift in roster construction and approach was a Woodson thing or something dictated by the front office 

6 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Don't confuse people with the facts! ;) 

I was looking at the teams that took the least 3 point shots to this point, and boy, it's loaded with crappy coaches like Mick Cronin, Jamie, Dixon, Tony Bennett...Hell, even Kansas is ranked 336th in 3s taken...Self don't know anything!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was looking at the teams that took the least 3 point shots to this point, and boy, it's loaded with crappy coaches like Mick Cronin, Jamie, Dixon, Tony Bennett...Hell, even Kansas is ranked 336th in 3s taken...Self don't know anything!

lol other than the blatant falsehood to start the post, sure, he confused me with facts. The Mike Woodson Knicks were absolutely not at the forefront of this era of basketball.

Edit: the gap between Indiana and Kansas in made threes per game is the same as the gap between Kansas and the #27 team in the country in made threes. Your examples and weak defense of how we are currently playing is predictably misleading. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

I wish CMW wouldn't be so annoyed by the question because it's a very legit question that should be asked.

I would have liked to hear a media member ask Bob Knight the same question in his 3rd year...

They did gripe about the motion offense and Knight's emphasis on defense..."We're the Hurryin' Hoosiers, dammit!"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

lol other than the blatant falsehood to start the post, sure, he confused me with facts. The Mike Woodson Knicks were absolutely not at the forefront of this era of basketball.

You skipped my question regarding who on our current team you want shooting more threes.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would have liked to hear a media member ask Bob Knight the same question in his 3rd year...

They did gripe about the motion offense and Knight's emphasis on defense..."We're the Hurryin' Hoosiers, dammit!"...

Bob Knight had a top ten team, coming off of a top ten season, his third year at Indiana. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure it was a "blatant falsehood"... @The Daily Hoosier wrote a column during the summer that said...

"Woodson is thought of as one of the early coaches who embraced what we now refer to as the modern game that emphasizes 3-pointers.  His 2013 New York Knicks set a then-NBA record with 891 made three-pointers.  He wants to put four shooters around a big man and run if he’s got the right personnel."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure it was a "blatant falsehood"... @The Daily Hoosier wrote a column during the summer that said...

"Woodson is thought of as one of the early coaches who embraced what we now refer to as the modern game that emphasizes 3-pointers.  His 2013 New York Knicks set a then-NBA record with 891 made three-pointers.  He wants to put four shooters around a big man and run if he’s got the right personnel."

Who thinks of Woodson that way outside of our fan base?

Given the lack of NBA ball most of the board watches I’m really struggling to see how any of you can even speak on the dynamic of what led to the current era, so I’ll definitely want to see a few non-IU sources crediting him with that…

And Woodson can say whatever he wants, he hasn’t built a roster remotely resembling that style of play or done anything to show that’s how he wants to play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

You are finally hitting on it... Who's fault is it we dont have the players to play that game????

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched it...But there were always questions about basketball tactics to him...And he didn't handle them very well...

I’m happy to talk through a specific example, but on the surface it’s pretty different comparing the first three years of the two coaches. Got anything specific?

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand your point, and it has merit, but I can’t imagine an elite guard being excited about playing in our current offense. I hope I’m wrong and we land one in the portal to compliment McNeely next year. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I understand your point, and it has merit, but I can’t imagine an elite guard being excited about playing in our current offense. I hope I’m wrong and we land one in the portal to compliment McNeely next year. 

I don’t think it has merit. Saying “Kansas is also in the 300s” doesn’t mean much when Kansas is as close to the number 27 team in made threes as they are to us.

If this team changed nothing other than making as many threes per game as Kansas we are in the 20s on KenPom. Is a remarkable difference from what we’ve seen thus far and frankly the Kansas example is probably better proof of the issue we’ve been bringing up than a proof that it isn’t a big deal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m happy to talk through a specific example, but on the surface it’s pretty different comparing the first three years of the two coaches. Got anything specific?

I focused on one thing...their handling of the media...Not the teams...

You and I had this conversation not long ago, and I asked if people watched you in your job would you like it if they criticized you...You came back with something about inter-personal skills, and leadership, and I'd hear them out...And that's fine...

But I truly do not know if there's a "technical component" in selling Enterprise Software...

do know the jobs I've held since I was 22 (ATC and ATC automation systems) most certainly do, and those would be the things I'm not sure too many people outside of my career fields could question me on...And if they did, I'd laugh at them...Playing TRACON on a computer is much, much different than the real thing...

I can see why Coach Woodson gets short with them...Mike Woodson has a PHD (maybe I shouldn't use that because Coach Knight always said, "BS, just what it means, MS is more of the same, and PHD is piled higher and deeper" :) ) in the technical aspects of basketball...No one here is even out of elementary school in that area...

Edited by IUFLA

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Saying “Kansas is also in the 300s” doesn’t mean much when Kansas is as close to the number 27 team in made threes as they are to us.

Woody: "we just gotta make what we take."

BTW, Kansas is #250 in made 3s...Arizona is #232

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1