Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

39 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Sugar coat it any way you choose. But there's no way with the talent that team had it should have lost nearly as many games as it did. 

Didn't we finished tied for second last year. Could be  and had two first round pick and one of the best big man in the country and didn't make the tournament.

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Sugar coat it any way you choose. But there's no way with the talent that team had it should have lost nearly as many games as it did. 

Ridiculous.  Did you watch any college basketball last season?

Kansas lost 8 games

Duke lost 9 games

Kentucky lost 12 games

North Carolina lost 13 games

Michigan State lost 13 games

Michigan lost 16 games

IU lost 12 games.

You seriously think IU had more talent than all those teams?  Talent doesn't mean you won't lose any games.  Your premise that IU should have lost a lot fewer games is just silly.  IU had talent but IU was still in year two of a new offensive and defensive system and coaching staff.  The idea that they should have been nearly undefeated last season is just silly.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

And the fact remains that 2 of the best players in the conference were still on the team. Had it been one of them injured it's a different story. 

Didn't we finish like 2nd or 3rd in the conference and a Top 4 seed in the NCAAs? 

What was the expectation? 

But, factually speaking, those two WERE injured... so... 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

You're overrating the true talent we had on that roster, especially once XJ went down.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ridiculous.  Did you watch any college basketball last season?

Kansas lost 8 games

Duke lost 9 games

Kentucky lost 12 games

North Carolina lost 13 games

Michigan State lost 13 games

Michigan lost 16 games

IU lost 12 games.

You seriously think IU had more talent than all those teams?  Talent doesn't mean you won't lose any games.  Your premise that IU should have lost a lot fewer games is just silly.  IU had talent but IU was still in year two of a new offensive and defensive system and coaching staff.  The idea that they should have been nearly undefeated last season is just silly.

So they should get blown out by Rutgers?

Should lose at home to Northwestern?

Should get blown out by Penn St?

Should get blown out at home by Iowa?

You don't think they had more talent than those teams? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Maybe Northwestern. The others are debatable, especially when injuries are taken into account. 

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Didn't we finish like 2nd or 3rd in the conference and a Top 4 seed in the NCAAs? 

What was the expectation? 

But, factually speaking, those two WERE injured... so... 

Yes. At 12-8. 3 games behind Purdue. With like 6 other teams tied at 11-9. So far closer to being tied for 7th-8th than winning.

My expectations with a 1st team AA and the FOY playing in a weak conference would be to at least compete for a championship.

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You're overrating the true talent we had on that roster, especially once XJ went down.

Possibly so, but the top end talent was very good. And the supporting cast was far from terrible. If so that doesn't bode well for this year.

Compare IU vs Purdue for a second. Even though I think TJD is far more talented than Edey I will consider those 2 equal. From there who had more talent? JHS is far better than anything Purdue had. Are Smith or Loyer far superior to Galloway? Are Furst or Gillis superior to Reneau? 

The fact that IU won both game vs them tells me the answer to those questions is no.

But Painter was able to get 15 wins out of what most anyone would say is a much less talented team.

13 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Possibly so, but the top end talent was very good. And the supporting cast was far from terrible. If so that doesn't bode well for this year.

Compare IU vs Purdue for a second. Even though I think TJD is far more talented than Edey I will consider those 2 equal. From there who had more talent? JHS is far better than anything Purdue had. Are Smith or Loyer far superior to Galloway? Are Furst or Gillis superior to Reneau? 

The fact that IU won both game vs them tells me the answer to those questions is no.

But Painter was able to get 15 wins out of what most anyone would say is a much less talented team.

Wait… you’re talking conference wins? So you’re just gonna ignore the difference in schedules?

you really put the junk it junkie. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Yes. At 12-8. 3 games behind Purdue. With like 6 other teams tied at 11-9. So far closer to being tied for 7th-8th than winning.

My expectations with a 1st team AA and the FOY playing in a weak conference would be to at least compete for a championship.

So we did finish 2nd or 3rd. 👍

We pretty much weren't going to win the conference once XJ went down, I would think realistically speaking most fans should have understood that.. 

But hey, high expectations are great. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Weren't all those teams NCAA teams/Rutgers is pretty good at home, were a tourney team until the last two weeks, we played without JHS... ??? 

I mean, yeah we played some poor basketball in those games. It isn't clear your point in bringing up our losses... 

You do realize if we win those games... we're 27-8 and probably a 2 seed in the tourney? Which, if we had XJ.. thats exactly where I think we would have ended up... ish. 

But without... pretty much, I thought we reached our ceiling. 

But to seriously think we just pooped the bed last year?  I guess if thats your point in all this.. Meh. You can have that opinion, I certainly don't share it.

I was frustrated with not playing better the last 10 mins against Miami? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

TJD and JHS kinda speaks volumes about the development side of Coach Woodson's program...

Correct! I remember TJD saying on multiple occasions that Archie limited his rim protection (read blocks) in his defensive "scheme". Woody turned him loose and in 2 years TJD is in the top 3(?) in blocked shots in IU history. Imagine the record he'd set if he was turned loose for all 4 years.... 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

Correct! I remember TJD saying on multiple occasions that Archie limited his rim protection (read blocks) in his defensive "scheme". Woody turned him loose and in 2 years TJD is in the top 3(?) in blocked shots in IU history. Imagine the record he'd set if he was turned loose for all 4 years.... 

And TJD development as a passer. 

• Like 2

Not sure if mentioned, but the million $ raise shows commitment to the future of the program, especially to the class of 25 and beyond. 

I’m guessing Woody coaches 5-7 more years? Maybe 3-4? But the foundation he has laid with what he inherited and what he and his staff have recruited, is certainly worthy of a raise in today’s game. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Weren't all those teams NCAA teams/Rutgers is pretty good at home, were a tourney team until the last two weeks, we played without JHS... ??? 

I mean, yeah we played some poor basketball in those games. It isn't clear your point in bringing up our losses... 

You do realize if we win those games... we're 27-8 and probably a 2 seed in the tourney? Which, if we had XJ.. thats exactly where I think we would have ended up... ish. 

But without... pretty much, I thought we reached our ceiling. 

But to seriously think we just pooped the bed last year?  I guess if thats your point in all this.. Meh. You can have that opinion, I certainly don't share it.

I was frustrated with not playing better the last 10 mins against Miami? 

No, last year was definitely not just a wasted year.  But a team that has TJD, a first team AA, one of the best to ever play here plus a stud like JHS to complement him should have high expectations. IMO higher than what they accomplished.  Given what those 2 did, then yes, tying for 2nd 3 games out of first and getting pummeled in the 2nd round of the tournament is a dissapointment.

Guys like TJD don't come along often. Pretty much non existant to have someone that good for a 3rd year. When you do those need to become the special seasons. 

As has been discussed before you give Johnson far more credit than what I do. I guess this coming year will truly show what his value is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

No, last year was definitely not just a wasted year.  But a team that has TJD, a first team AA, one of the best to ever play here plus a stud like JHS to complement him should have high expectations. IMO higher than what they accomplished.  Given what those 2 did, then yes, tying for 2nd 3 games out of first and getting pummeled in the 2nd round of the tournament is a dissapointment.

Guys like TJD don't come along often. Pretty much non existant to have someone that good for a 3rd year. When you do those need to become the special seasons. 

As has been discussed before you give Johnson far more credit than what I do. I guess this coming year will truly show what his value is.

I'm shocked I give more credit to XJ than you.  "Far more" 🤣🙄

If you cannot accept/admit someone that avg 11p-13p 5a 3r and is a great defender against quick guards was a MASSIVE missing piece.. that would be pretty confusing to me...

But, you thought we should have been a 2 seed even after XJ went down? Or more like a 4 seed... which we were?  You've not addressed that part of my post. 

• Like 1