Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

On 8/15/2023 at 1:12 PM, btownqb said:

No clue. 

But, do you remember, earlier this offseason, when you and a few others wanted to strut your stuff about CMW/Indiana/the state of the program/whatever else you guys troll about.... when we missed on Chris Ledlum? :rollinglaugh:

Sorry... I was waiting on the perfect opportunity to call you out on that, thankfully, you always come through with those. 

7320E9C2-3262-4B5B-ACA4-5F49D12D031B.thumb.jpeg.c0b7844c5d9696f24a7facd9ab4547cf.jpeg

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Woody gets a well deserved raise...

Sorry but for what? Love Woody but what has he won to deserve a Million dollar raise? Big Ten title? Nope. NCAA Title? Nope? Sweet 16? Nope. Does he have the program headed in the right place? Who knows yet, looks like it. But a Million a year raise for 2 avg. season. No he doesn't deserve that yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Sorry but for what? Love Woody but what has he won to deserve a Million dollar raise? Big Ten title? Nope. NCAA Title? Nope? Sweet 16? Nope. Does he have the program headed in the right place? Who knows yet, looks like it. But a Million a year raise for 2 avg. season. No he doesn't deserve that yet.

Did IU pay $11 million dollars to get worse?

57 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think it's fair.  He came in at a very reasonable salary. Has done some good things and this just gets him in line with other top level programs.

If he came in at 4 or 5 million initially, I would agree with you a little more.

4 million to be the head coach at IU seems about right for where the program is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

That is a very good question, that you should keep to yourself. No one else ever needs to hear it. Thank you for your input and we hope that you continue to support the IU Basketball Program.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Sweeping Illinois and Purdue and humiliating both on their home floors was worth a $950K raise alone... At least to me...🙂

I could go into a lot of different things, but...

He made IU Basketball IU Basketball again...

And that's enough for me 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sweeping Illinois and Purdue and humiliating both on their home floors was worth a $959K raise alone... At least to me...

I could go into a lot of different things, but...

He made IU Basketball IU Basketball again...

And that's enough for me 

Woody is bringing IU winning culture back.

I don't think he really gives that much of a s%&t about NIL

Woody wants to win.  

• Like 1

Like I said, Love Woody and what he is doing but this Athletic Dept. Throws around raises just because the sun came up. Terry Moren deserves to be the Top paid coach in the Big Ten( I dont know where she sits ), she has earned it. Woody, not so much yet. YET!! Woody needs to send Archie a bottle of some kind for being such a pile of shit that a couple bids in the NCAA gets you a million more a year. NOW, if Woody does something with this team he has thrown together then he deserves it.

Has he earned what he was making YES. In time will he deserve to be the highest paid coach in the history of the college game? I hope so!! That means a couple NCAA Titles. I can see by some of the replies how far we have fallen when NCAA bids are enough.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Like I said, Love Woody and what he is doing but this Athletic Dept. Throws around raises just because the sun came up. Terry Moren deserves to be the Top paid coach in the Big Ten( I dont know where she sits ), she has earned it. Woody, not so much yet. YET!! Woody needs to send Archie a bottle of some kind for being such a pile of shit that a couple bids in the NCAA gets you a million more a year. NOW, if Woody does something with this team he has thrown together then he deserves it.

Has he earned what he was making YES. In time will he deserve to be the highest paid coach in the history of the college game? I hope so!! That means a couple NCAA Titles. I can see by some of the replies how far we have fallen when NCAA bids are enough.

For thirty years IU didn’t even get mentioned with top 10 talent! Now we have 2 top ten Macdonalds All Americans on the team!! Woody may never win a BIG or a Natty! However, programs like Kansas and Duke are now having to compete with IU for players!

If you can’t see the difference??????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

I agree with you in a vacuum that a million dollar raise for 2 NCAA Tournament berths is normally not warranted. However, I think Woodson has stabilized this program and kept IU from becoming a total laughingstock after the failures of the Archie era. It feels like all this “is Indiana a blue blood” talk has died down because Woodson has gotten us to a certain point so far and IU fans are much more secure about what we have going at the moment. 

Plus, you want to show that you’re a healthy program that supports its coach to recruits. He can point to a tangible thing now that demonstrates the administration fully supports him. 

• Like 2

I would be surprised if Woody even asked for this raise. At this point in his life and his prior success, I suspect he doesn't "need" the money. Sure, it's nice to get a big raise, but IIRC his initial contract was peanuts compared to other P5 schools.

I also suspect Dolson initiated this on his own with the blessing of the President of the University, to reward Woody for the points made above by Hippopotamo.

• Like 4

1. You’re worth what someone is willing to pay you. Can’t imagine anyone on this board would turn down a raise.

2. CMW is not a spring chicken. He’ll retire sooner rather than later. Could be a message to potential future coaches that IU will pay.

3. CMW has publicly stated that if a player has a main focus of NIL $$, he’s not meant for our program. I feel confident that his own belief’s align with that. Can’t envision him being a hypocrite about money.

4. With all the tv money the university is bringing in, rewarding the MHBBC a small portion makes little difference in the grand scheme of things 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drroogh said:

For thirty years IU didn’t even get mentioned with top 10 talent! Now we have 2 top ten Macdonalds All Americans on the team!! Woody may never win a BIG or a Natty! However, programs like Kansas and Duke are now having to compete with IU for players!

If you can’t see the difference??????

This is really not accurate. Miller recruited Langford and Jackson- Davis both of whom where McDonalds All Americans. And Lander was also very highly rated. 

Woodson definitely has IU in the mix for a lot of the top recruits. So in that regard there is a big improvement. But it's still TBD how many of those he actually gets.

I think it's easy to make an argument that last year was a major underachievement. When you have a first team AA and Freshman of the year I would hope for more than 8 losses and tied for 2nd in what was a very weak conference. And lets be honest, that was one loss from a tie for 7th place. 

Yes, making the tournament is headed in the right direction. But I would hope IU fans want something better than getting in only to get massacred in round 2.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Basketball Junkie said:

This is really not accurate. Miller recruited Langford and Jackson- Davis both of whom where McDonalds All Americans. And Lander was also very highly rated. 

Woodson definitely has IU in the mix for a lot of the top recruits. So in that regard there is a big improvement. But it's still TBD how many of those he actually gets.

I think it's easy to make an argument that last year was a major underachievement. When you have a first team AA and Freshman of the year I would hope for more than 8 losses and tied for 2nd in what was a very weak conference. And lets be honest, that was one loss from a tie for 7th place. 

Yes, making the tournament is headed in the right direction. But I would hope IU fans want something better than getting in only to get massacred in round 2.

We also lost our starting PG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2