Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's funny how Purdue fans are now so quick to point out their youth (when they aren't blaming injuries). We heard nothing about this before the season. Did they not look at their own roster until they had lost a few games?

Heard nothing about it? Purdue had a young roster before the season started. The number of upperclassmen still left on the roster was small and the majority of them are now injured. No idea which Purdue fans you were listening to but this was always going to be a young team. Take a guy like King Doerue for example. He’s going to be a really good running back for us but going into the year, most would’ve guessed he would’ve easily redshirted. Worship was still out and then Fuller got hurt so he had to play out of necessity. The guys they’ve lost to injury happened to be the majority of their best players. Tough for any team to overcome that type of situation. 

I'll say this, though; as I was watching games around the league, I realized that several teams on our upcoming schedule are offensively challenged.  Rutgers, NW, Nebraska, and Purdue to name a few.  I'm glad our offense is looking pretty solid right now.

Going in to those games, if I was forced to pick between a good offense or defense, I'd have to choose offense.  If the defense can improve a little, I'm optimistic about the rest of year.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep o-line has a lot of work to do. My guess is we might grab a few grad transfer guys. Defense at least looked solid for 3 quarters. 

Yes. Your defense played the whole second half hard. I credit them not rolling over because that game could have got out of hand fast with how the first 20 mins went. Credit to those kids...hopefully though they don’t play that way against us...I could easily see you guys salvage your season by denying us a bowl!

56 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Heard nothing about it? Purdue had a young roster before the season started. The number of upperclassmen still left on the roster was small and the majority of them are now injured. No idea which Purdue fans you were listening to but this was always going to be a young team. Take a guy like King Doerue for example. He’s going to be a really good running back for us but going into the year, most would’ve guessed he would’ve easily redshirted. Worship was still out and then Fuller got hurt so he had to play out of necessity. The guys they’ve lost to injury happened to be the majority of their best players. Tough for any team to overcome that type of situation. 

What ever, every Purdue fan I know had them being way good before the season started very cocky actually. I also don’t want to hear oh we’re still got Hazel players we need to get thought. Should I list  the IU coaches we had. worse was Bill Lynch. He was 0, 11 at Ball st. Before he came to IU  as OC. Who was the moron AD that give him a head coaching job. It was a hard job anyway but come on! 0 an 11 at Ball St. should have been enough to say Thanks but I am going to keep looking. 

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

What ever, every Purdue fan I know had them being way good before the season started very cocky actually. I also don’t want to hear oh we’re still got Hazel players we need to get thought. Should I list  the IU coaches we had. worse was Bill Lynch. He was 0, 11 at Ball st. Before he came to IU  as OC. Who was the moron AD that give him a head coaching job. It was a hard job anyway but come on! 0 an 11 at Ball St. should have been enough to say Thanks but I am going to keep looking. 

Lynch was 19-30 in 4 years at IU. In 3.5 years at Purdue, Hazell was 9-39. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Never said he was great lol. But he was better than Hazell. 

They were extremely similar.  The difference in total wins is because we play a crappy non conference schedule, and Purdue plays some decent non conference teams.  Lynch had a good first season on the strength of the team playing for the late coach Hoeppner.  After that, he won 3 B1G games in 3 seasons.  Lynch had wins against Western Kentucky (x2), Murray State, Northwestern, Eastern Kentucky, Western Michigan, Akron (x2), Illinois (3-9), Towson, Arkansas State, and Purdue (4-8).  There's some whopper's in there!

In Lynch's 3 recruiting classes (08, 09, 10), he was ranked 68th, 66th, and 77th.

In Hazell's 3 recruiting classes (14, 15, 16), he was ranked 70th, 67th, and 80th.

There is no arguing that one is better or worse than the other one.  They were the same person.

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Never said he was great lol. But he was better than Hazell. 

Your right! But it goes back further then Hazel. I am not a Purdue fan but, Tiller didn’t leave the cupboard full, not bare put way short of full. Then hired an assistant coach cheap that failed. Then  Hired Hazel . The cup board was empty. So he was put in a very tough spot. Is that not right. My point is IU has done the same thing in both basketball an football. mike Davis destroyed IUbasketball. After Bill Mallory IU except for Hoeppner IU hired cheap instead of good every time. Lynch as a head coach was a disaster every place he was head coach . He left 0 for 10 are worse every place he head coached. He was a good OC but why would you give him a head job. That being said I do think Purdue has hired a good coach this time. I also thinkIU has the right guy, just takes time to build something from the ground up. 

Always been a Lovie Smith fan from his Bears days but not sure the college game is for him. Year 4....has 4 total Big 10 wins and Illinois isn't showing any signs of improvement. I don't believe $ is ever truly an issue (or at the least it shouldn't be) but with Illinois you never know. 

Ohio St I believe is Bama elite this year. 

No need to type out the obvious stuff but these next 4 for IU and Tom Allen are very, very important. Would love to be bowl eligible after Nov 2nd game vs Northwestern. Otherwise....well we all know how this could go. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Always been a Lovie Smith fan from his Bears days but not sure the college game is for him. Year 4....has 4 total Big 10 wins and Illinois isn't showing any signs of improvement. I don't believe $ is ever truly an issue (or at the least it shouldn't be) but with Illinois you never know. 

I just went and looked a few things up concerning the Illini football program.  In my lifetime, Illinois has appeared in bowls 15 times as compared to IU's 11.  Granted UI has appeared in a few marquis bowls in that time frame.  Regardless, I truly thought they had been more successful than that.  I think Lovie picked the wrong school.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

I just went and looked a few things up concerning the Illini football program.  In my lifetime, Illinois has appeared in bowls 15 times as compared to IU's 11.  Granted UI has appeared in a few marquis bowls in that time frame.  Regardless, I truly thought they had been more successful than that.  I think Lovie picked the wrong school.

Few poor decisions and hires by an AD can cause any program to tailspin and that's exactly what has happened over there for years. Illinois (mostly influenced by Chicago fans) always thought they should compete at a higher level. Never willing to accept they were more of a stepping stone sports department. They got bored with regular bowl games and dismissed Zook. They got bored with Weber because they wanted next level recruiter. You want to ruin an athletic department keep bad AD's around who make the wrong moves.

We've experienced that too. I think they have a chance with Underwood but Lovie in year 4 isn't going anywhere. Can't imagine recruits wanting to stick around or even say yes to them which is the scary part. You get into year 3 or 4 and things aren't going well you almost have to make the move because recruiting will suffer.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I didn't realize that either.  From 95 until now, they have been in 6 bowls, and 2 of them were the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl.  I never would have guessed they only had 4 other bowls during that span.

I guess maybe that's because I live around delusional Illinois fans, so they must have brain washed me!

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I didn't realize that either.  From 95 until now, they have been in 6 bowls, and 2 of them were the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl.  I never would have guessed they only had 4 other bowls during that span.

I guess maybe that's because I live around delusional Illinois fans, so they must have brain washed me!

I wouldn't have even looked it up but a dear friend of mine stopped by here to chat.  He is an Illinois grad...and informed me that the Illini are not as successful as what their fan base thinks it is.  

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

Arguing this stuff is dumb. Oh gosh 19-30 compared to 9-39. 

Omg lol I was thinking the same...only PU and IU football can passionately argue about who had the suckiest coach! Look we both suck at football and have for awhile...with a few good years here and there. Purdue will get a pass from me this year...but ONLY 1 year for Brohm...Allen I’m still not optimistic about him but who knows..maybe we make a bowl this year and that would be an accomplishment.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, Bob said:

Your right! But it goes back further then Hazel. I am not a Purdue fan but, Tiller didn’t leave the cupboard full, not bare put way short of full. Then hired an assistant coach cheap that failed. Then  Hired Hazel . The cup board was empty. So he was put in a very tough spot. Is that not right. My point is IU has done the same thing in both basketball an football. mike Davis destroyed IUbasketball. After Bill Mallory IU except for Hoeppner IU hired cheap instead of good every time. Lynch as a head coach was a disaster every place he was head coach . He left 0 for 10 are worse every place he head coached. He was a good OC but why would you give him a head job. That being said I do think Purdue has hired a good coach this time. I also thinkIU has the right guy, just takes time to build something from the ground up. 

I thought Cam Cameron was going to be the right guy. Alum, dynamic offensive coach would stay around...but alas I don’t know if there is such a thing as a right guy at IU lol. I hope there is...but I don’t know.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:53 AM, btownqb said:

Arguing this stuff is dumb. Oh gosh 19-30 compared to 9-39. 

Neither one is going to be confused for Nick Saban, but as of today, I'd give a slight edge to Lynch. He's out of his depth as a D1 coach, but has actually been fairly decent at a lower level (55-25 at DePaw). Hazell caught lightning in a bottle during his 2nd year as a head coach, and that's it.

In the firing squad/gas chamber question for Purdue fans, I'd take Hope in a heartbeat over Hazell.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I thought Cam Cameron was going to be the right guy. Alum, dynamic offensive coach would stay around...but alas I don’t know if there is such a thing as a right guy at IU lol. I hope there is...but I don’t know.

I truly believe Cam could and should have been that guy.

Archived