Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, coachv said:

what damezi was known for in high school has little relevance to his tenure at iu. he is not a shooter. people need to realize that

Coach Miller has repeatedly said Demezi is a good shooter and it will show in games as his experience grows.

Better send him the memo that Damezi is not a shooter. I am sure he would love the insight. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coachv said:

galloway and leal?

Hope so.

Think we were also counting on Rob, Hunter and Damezi being shooters.  I have confidence that Rob will be “back to normal” soon but Hunter may be another year away and hopefully (who knows)  Damezi will grow into someone that can consistently hit from the perimeter against decent/athletic teams.

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Coach Miller has repeatedly said Demezi is a good shooter and it will show in games as his experience grows.

Better send him the memo that Damezi is not a shooter. I am sure he would love the insight. 

i believe what i see and that is a guy with poor form, no legs, and a rushed motion. i think archie is trying to stoke his confidence, which is what i would do, too. but ...... if it makes you feel better about yourself

7 minutes ago, coachv said:

i believe what i see and that is a guy with poor form, no legs, and a rushed motion. i think archie is trying to stoke his confidence, which is what i would do, too. but ...... if it makes you feel better about yourself

I edited your post. Calling anybody names will be ya banned. So I cleaned it up for ya.

And yes, I was being snarky. Your follow up post about his form is fair.

But to say he is not a shooter and everybody who thinks he is (which would include the coach), is always gonna make people a bit snarky in their response.

Some players have been great shooters with less than ideal form. Hos track record says he can shoot, and his current coach sees it daily. That simply carries more weight.

I get that we haven't played a full season yet, but we are improved in basically every statistical category compared to last year's final numbers, including 3pt accuracy. I understand we could have a drop off during conference play, but we are currently trending upward and will probably stay pretty close to our statistical means for the remainder of the season. Add to this that this team's chemistry seems 1000% better than last year's and they're still gelling. I, for one, am excited for the future and really like watching this team play. I really don't expect us to be world beaters this year, but I think we'll exceed some of the negative expectations that I've been seeing from some posters (not just here). 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly don't watch much of them.  I know the NBA has plenty of dude's that make mid range consistently.  Actually LeBron still has bank shots.  

College ball.  Much more rare.  

Another thing I would like to see is players taking a 10 foot jump shot over the floaters we see.  When they shoot those floaters it tends to lead to charges so why not come to a jump to stop and take the jumper.

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I edited your post. Calling anybody names will be ya banned. So I cleaned it up for ya.

And yes, I was being snarky. Your follow up post about his form is fair.

But to say he is not a shooter and everybody who thinks he is (which would include the coach), is always gonna make people a bit snarky in their response.

Some players have been great shooters with less than ideal form. Hos track record says he can shoot, and his current coach sees it daily. That simply carries more weight.

I mean, the kid was known in high school for his shot, right? I remember him being recruited as a shooter.

Indeed, proper form doesn’t always dictate a great shooter. 

39 minutes ago, coachv said:

Personally I do not see that.  There is not one way to shoot, all shooting coaches will say that.  I know we look for rotation and if the ball is on line.  We TWEAK form based on if the ball is to the right, left, always long, short or what type of rotation. I think DA is going to be a scorer and he can shoot the ball.  Game like situation is more mental than anything.  

As a coach, you can have your philosophy and won't argue with that because its your program.  However, it is not one size fits all.  And, athletes are the same.  

2 hours ago, coachv said:

what damezi was known for in high school has little relevance to his tenure at iu. he is not a shooter. people need to realize that

Do you watch college basketball? Have you seriously never seen a kid shoot well in high school, struggle initially in college, then find his level as the game slows down for him?

I don't know for sure if Damezi will get better but to write him off as a shooter after less than 1.5 seasons of spot minutes and DNPs is crazy.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly don't watch much of them.  I know the NBA has plenty of dude's that make mid range consistently.  Actually LeBron still has bank shots.  

College ball.  Much more rare.  

The elbow bank shot is a lost art - Duncan used it to perfection, even Kobe used it, but you don’t see it much now, and it’s a consistent shot that should be used - but metrics say dunk, layup or 3-pointer 

I am not sure about the others who aren't really happy with where we are but for me, here is what I think/feel.

I feel like we struggled against to many of the easy early games.

I feel like we are not a better team than last year.

I feel like we have played terrible but somehow have gutted out wins against decent teams.

I feel like losing to Wisconsin is a precursor to a below average season in the B1G

And my biggest thing is that I am waiting for the long losing streak to start.  Much like last year

I just can't seem to get myself to watch this team and like them.  I like several peices of this team but overall I just don't like this them.  I don't have faith in our coach or administration to bring us another title regardless of how much time we give them.

It makes me pessimistic and makes it hard to see the upside when watching them play.  All I really is their flaws and lack of [insert what here].  All this might make me a bad fan in the eyes of guys like IUScott but I just can't find it on myself anymore to overlook all the bad and cheer the good.

So I apologise for any future posts that might/will have a negative tone.

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not sure about the others who aren't really happy with where we are but for me, here is what I think/feel.

I feel like we have played terrible but somehow have gutted out wins against decent teams.

I feel like losing to Wisconsin is a precursor to a below average season in the B1G

And my biggest thing is that I am waiting for the long losing streak to start.  Much like last year

I just can't seem to get myself to watch this team and like them.  I like several peices of this team but overall I just don't like this them.  I don't have faith in our coach or administration to bring us another title regardless of how much time we give them.

It makes me pessimistic and makes it hard to see the upside when watching them play.  All I really is their flaws and lack of [insert what here].  All this might make me a bad fan in the eyes of guys like IUScott but I just can't find it on myself anymore to overlook all the bad and cheer the good.

Career_Suicide.jpg

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I kind of agree and disagree. I don’t see any reason to expect a 12-loss in 13games stretch. That stretch was clearly an outlier and some extenuating circumstances were at play. There’s literally no reason to expect that. I also disagree on Archie, I think he’s legit. Whether he can win a title at IU? Who knows. National Titles are hard to win, and I agree with you on the IU administration, I have little confidence there. But, Archie can clearly coach. 

With that said, I agree with you on this team. We’re an average team. One of two things will happen, IU’s lack of shooting and playmaking at the guard and wing spots will be its downfall, or the defense and toughness of the team will overcome and IU will slide into the tournament  

But, this team is most likely going to go somewhere between 9-11 and 11-9 in the Big Ten and be somewhere between a 7 seed or squarely on the bubble come a Selection Sunday. I don’t see this team magically becoming a team with enough offense to go on a run and finish top 4 in the Big Ten. The shooting and offense confidence would have to dramatically improve. 

We’re going to struggle to win on the road and probably be searching for a road win in February to solidify the resume. This team will lose to some bad teams on the road too. 

But, I think Archie is absolutely a good coach and a coach that can turn IU around. My only two questions right now are will the admin give him the tools to be successful and can he recruit to that level (though the admin question relates to recruiting). Archie has done great recruiting Indiana, but we do need to extend beyond the borders with top talent as well. I’m also concerned there hasn’t been another point guard or a lights out shooter. 

So, I kind of agree with you on this years team and the IU admin, but disagree on Archie. 

4 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

I was at the game didn't have a good seat and I was not impressed by Notre Dame. For Notre Dame John Mooney did not help them.

Good to hear you from you Jackie.  Does not surprise me that you were there.  Butler, and IU.  It does not get any better for you.  Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Archived