Big Ten 2020

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

We make and break the rules as we please to help the big ten make more money be eliminating any doubt about osu to be in playoff. 

That being said, O$U beat us, and they weren’t gonna lose to Michigan or Maryland or illinois. They deserve to be there too. And I don’t think a rematch with us is fair to then have to play northwestern too. 

Play Purdue if we can, then go F up Iowa and their clueless AD, then go kick USC’s ass in the fiesta bowl and finish in the top 5 in the country. 

We don't know that. That is why we play the games. No one thought OSU would lose to PU but they did.  ND was #1 in the country and lost to a BC team the week after knocking off FSU. Crazy things happen. What if in one of those extra games Fields goes down for the year. Changes everything. Rules are there for a reason and unfortunately its only about the money. I just hope the chip on our team just got even bigger.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Thats my point, head to head should not come into question. OSU did not meet the minimum game requirement. 

Totally agree and once again IU football gets hosed.  Guarantee if IU was 5-0 and beat OSU and OSU was 7-1 we would not be having this  discussion

We all knew this was going to happen as soon as UM canceled the game. What annoys me is when Nebraska wanted to play Chattanooga back in October when Wisc canceled, the B1G said no because all teams agreed to the rules. Yet here we are changing the rules so tOSU has a chance to make the CFB playoffs. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I might be reading this wrong, but this implies that H2H is the relevant tiebreaker here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/bigten.org/documents/2020/10/22/2020_Big_Ten_Football_Tiebreakers.pdf

In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games: If two (or more) teams have the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games language noted above.

Perhaps this year, but that's already a special rule change for this season, not how teams normally are tracked in the standings. 

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Wouldn't OSU still win the division if they lost another game?

I am an IU homer, but if the division was mathematically locked up, I can understand the change.

Then they should have OSU agree to officially forfeit and make their record 5-1.  You can't just say, well, they could have forfeited and still won it, but not actually make them do it.  Either 5-0 with no championship game, or 5-1 with the championship game.

Extremely disappointed in this decision. I objectively believe Ohio St is the best Big Ten team and they deserve to play in the championship game, but if the conference decided today that the rules all the teams agreed to start the season should be changed in order to do the right thing/rational thing, then why not extend it to IU and say sorry Northwestern but the best two teams are IU and Ohio St and the strength of record and common opponents you played clearly supports that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Furthermore, If IU played Purdue this weekend and won, how can you say that those two extra games isn’t more important than h2h...See Purdue smashing Ohio st, Pitt beating Clemson on their own turf. In other words, nothing about playing a game is guaranteed and to suggest so ruins the integrity of playing the game of football. 

If I am Coach Allen and Scott Dolson, I’m getting Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M on the phone and saying let’s play during the conference championship week because you guys deserve a rematch with Bama after beating Florida, and frankly beating Indiana could be the difference between getting in the top 4 or not. I’d tell the Big Ten go screw your self the rules were thrown out this week so fine us if you want. 

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Then they should have OSU agree to officially forfeit and make their record 5-1.  You can't just say, well, they could have forfeited and still won it, but not actually make them do it.  Either 5-0 with no championship game, or 5-1 with the championship game.

Agree to that, as well. You can't just change the rule because people didn't like the outcome lol or "shouldn't have made the rule in the first place" 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Extremely disappointed in this decision. I objectively believe Ohio St is the best Big Ten team and they deserve to play in the championship game, but if the conference decided today that the rules all the teams agreed to start the season should be changed in order to do the right thing/rational thing, then why not extend it to IU and say sorry Northwestern but the best two teams are IU and Ohio St and the strength of record and common opponents you played clearly supports that beyond a reasonable doubt.

Furthermore, If IU played Purdue this weekend and won, how can you say that those two extra games isn’t more important than h2h...See Purdue smashing Ohio st, Pitt beating Clemson on their own turf. In other words, nothing about playing a game is guaranteed and to suggest so ruins the integrity of playing the game of football. 

If I am Coach Allen and Scott Dolson, I’m getting Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M on the phone and saying let’s play during the conference championship week because you guys deserve a rematch with Bama after beating Florida, and frankly beating Indiana could be the difference between getting in the top 4 or not. I’d tell the Big Ten go screw your self the rules were thrown out this week so fine us if you want. 

100%. Zero chance I'd follow any of the rules Warren laid out. He's a bum. 

17 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Wouldn't OSU still win the division if they lost another game?

I am an IU homer, but if the division was mathematically locked up, I can understand the change.

Only because of another rule they put in place this year that only looks at number of losses. In sports, the way you normally calculate standings is by record, not by number of losses. We would have a better record at 7-1 than OSU would at 5-0 or 5-1. 

I have to believe that one of the reasons the Big Ten established the 6 game rule is to eliminate gamesmanship.  You don't want teams to arbitrarily cancel games against opponents they don't want to face, so you set a minimum number of games that have to be played.  In hindsight, IU should have cancelled their game with Ohio St. and they would be going to the Big Ten Championship game.

Archived