It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s fair, IUFLA.  If I see TTU is on TV, I try to watch if I can.  IMO, I’m not blown away by their talent.  McClung is a very good player, no question. But I was not very impressed with the individual ability of the other guys. But I see a team that plays well together, with synergy.  The sum to me is greater than the individual pieces.  Beard also does a great job of filling out his roster every year to fill in the gaps for the roles he needs filled.  I think Beard does a great job of what he’s been dealt, and figuring out W’s.

There are good things about Archie.  I’m not trying to diminish Archie but I don’t see him on the same plane as Beard.  Maybe he will be and wouldn’t that be great.  I just don’t think very many neutral basketball people would pick Archie over Beard.  Not today, IMO.  

All good, my friend...I appreciate your point of view...always...

Maybe I'm a "sunshine pumper" but I can honestly say, I do know more than a little about team and culture building. I recognize the obstacles and somewhat bad luck Archie has had to overcome to this point. I understand the psychology of what he's trying to balance between the upper classmen and the freshman, and to be honest, I think he's doing a very good job there...

We, as IU fans, want something sustainable, yet we also want it done "the right way." The IU way. The way Bob Knight did it with good kids who were team oriented and student athletes, not mercenaries that just came and went.

The one thing I'd urge people to do...watch Archie's post game pressers...Win or lose, the guy is spent...You can see the body language through the camera lens. He leaves it all out there...When we win, his first words are normally about how proud he is of our kids. He always gives the other team credit too, something I've seen some coaches (Izzo and McCaffery notably) seem to have trouble doing. To me, he's a good representative of what we want as a coach...

Ultimately, I know he'll be judged by his record, and that's the way it should be...I hear people gripe about the offense, yet I see us miss a bevy of open shots both from outside and near the rim...I know I don't as much about the intricacies as many here do, but it seems to me a simple concept is an offense that gets open looks. We get those...Now, making them is another proposition.

Our defense is right there. We've held some pretty good offensive teams well below their normal numbers...Iowa and Illinois both score over 80 per, and we held them below that.  

So, yeah...I'm optimistic :D 

But I think people already know that...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh I don't disagree with you at all that it's completely fair to criticize Archie's performance and I think a fairly reasonable case can be made that Beard is the better coach, but I'm not convinced it is as open and shut as many want to make it seem. I know we have posters who refuse to accept any criticism of Archie and the team, and I've gone at it with them as well. It's frankly just as unproductive as the posters who want to pick at ridiculous things. 

My issue was that a poster, who has a public ax to grind because of his newfound lack of access to the program that he himself has talked about, starting picking on things non-performance related. I don't even have a problem with what Beard did, but to say that it's a valid criticism of Archie that he doesn't get down on the ground and throw a fit is honestly just an absurd opinion. And that was from a respected poster that should be better than stooping to that type of criticism. 

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this discussion for now. 

I too was going to bow out but please show me where I bashed CAM. I said I liked the fire of Beard and it made me miss the General.  I then said in another post I thought that we were getting some of that when we hired CAM. Nothing more nothing less if that is all it takes to get your undies in an uproar I apologize a million fold.  I will not comment on anything that may offend you from now on. I cannot even believe this conversation has taken place. My access may or may not have anything to do with it and I can say that I loved what RMK brought to IU. Im sorry if many are offended by those comments. I will back away from the computer now before I get myself CANCELLED. Have a great day GO IU

49 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I've just been doing my best to not argue with the gang that I never agree with.  I fought the battle for a while, but some people are exhausting.  I'm more curious about what is going on with Hunter and how playing time shakes out today.  Mostly I'm thankful to have a reason to start drinking bourbon at 5pm today.  

You never agree with me!  LOL  I will start drinking for the both of us as soon as the clothes in the dryer are done.

37 minutes ago, cybergates said:

No coincidence that this happens when Milehi and CC are no longer around

Sorry, this has everything to do with the performance of the team than the moderators dictating conversation.

CC always preached we enforce rules, not dictate which opinions are allowed.

mile had not been a mod for 2 years. His tone, as a member, is what people remember. 

This is not new, we are operating no differently.

You think this is bad? It's child's play to what this was like the last year or two of Crean. Go back and look, it was way way worse. 

The team performance and our members are what dictate the vibe. As it should be.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

You never agree with me!  LOL  I will start drinking for the both of us as soon as the clothes in the dryer are done.

Hey Rico!  I haven't called you out or argued with you in a while it seems!  We pretty much never agree, but I am now jealous you're getting a head start!  I better wait a little bit at least.  My principal may not be excited about me starting while still at school!  What's your poison today?

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Hey Rico!  I haven't called you out or argued with you in a while it seems!  We pretty much never agree, but I am now jealous you're getting a head start!  I better wait a little bit at least.  My principal may not be excited about me starting while still at school!  What's your poison today?

Just a steady diet of beer.  Hopefully the game is just a beer drinker for me.  If things go amuck I will switch to Beam.  And if the ending is ugly I will be passed out on cheap gin.

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

Just going to drop this here before this conversation goes any further...

I think we are all intelligent enough to hold a conversation without the jabs. You’ve all been here long enough to deserve respect from one another.

Guys,

Use common sense. Debate your point, but let's all stop the manhood measuring and low blows. Come on.

38 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sorry, this has everything to do with the performance of the team than the moderators dictating conversation.

CC always preached we enforce rules, not dictate which opinions are allowed.

mile had not been a mod for 2 years. His tone, as a member, is what people remember. 

This is not new, we are operating no differently.

You think this is bad? It's child's play to what this was like the last year or two of Crean. Go back and look, it was way way worse. 

The team performance and our members are what dictate the vibe. As it should be.  

Apologies. You misinterpreted my intentions. It had nothing to do with moderation. Both Mile and CC brought a calming presence to the board due to the respect most (if not all) had for them (as you referenced tone). It just seems like people are going after each other more in their absence instead of just sticking to arguing their points endlessly like they've always done.

I don't think moderators should dictate opinions because then debate is lost and the forum becomes meaningless.

I've been around this board and previous iterations since Sampson was coach, so I know it's not new, and don't need to look at what it was like during Crean's final years. 

The Enduring Moderation of Mediocre

One of the things that is remarkable about mediocre is the extent to which it has retained its meaning over the course of more than four centuries of continual use. The word, when used as an adjective, has changed very little, if at all, in its meaning since it was used in a 1586 book titled The English Secretorie (our earliest known evidence): “Mediocre, a meane betwixt high and low, vehement and slender, too much and too little as we saye. . . .” The word comes to English via Middle French from the Latin word mediocris, meaning "of medium size, moderate, middling, commonplace," and perhaps originally "halfway to the top." The noun form of mediocre is mediocrity.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Chris Beard, but why are so many of you sure he's better than Archie?

Is it the fact that he is in the bottom half of a significantly worse conference, the fact that his team only has two less losses with a much easier schedule than us, or the 7 spots ahead of us they are in KenPom? 

I don't necessarily mean Beard is better than Miller or IU should go after him. But if we look at the resume, Beard took his team to Elite 8 and Runner-up in his second and third seasons at TT. That's pretty significant achievement at a football school. You can say that's because Big 12 is historically weaker than Big 10, and Beard may not be successful at Big 10 due to the tougher competition. But if we ask the opposite question for Miller that he could get the similar results as Beard's if Miller were the coach of TT. I think I would bet on Beard that he would've done better than Miller at IU. 

I know this is just discussion and Miller's not going anywhere. I think Miller's got AT LEAST 2 more years (after this season) to get an extension or to get fired. After 2 years, Miller has one more year left on his contract, so IU has to make a decision. IU is in a tricky situation because there's been marginal improvements year after year, and we can't really say his teams are getting worse, but the improvements are not significant enough. 

This season's not ever yet. This IU team could win the next 16 games and to raise the 6th banner. I can see you're rooting for Miller, and I sure want him to succeed as well. I believed for years that Miller was the chosen one at IU. But slowly but surely I came to realize that might not be the case. We'll see. 

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't necessarily mean Beard is better than Miller or IU should go after him. But if we look at the resume, Beard took his team to Elite 8 and Runner-up in his second and third seasons at TT. That's pretty significant achievement at a football school. You can say that's because Big 12 is historically weaker than Big 10, and Beard may not be successful at Big 10 due to the tougher competition. But if we ask the opposite question for Miller that he could get the similar results as Beard's if Miller were the coach of TT. I think I would bet on Beard that he would've done better than Miller at IU. 

I think a key phrase there is historically weaker. There are 10 teams in the Big 12. Six are currently ranked. One of the unranked teams is Kansas. The other three are TCU, KState and IA ST. In an average year, I’d put those programs ahead of Neb, PSU and NW

33 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The Enduring Moderation of Mediocre

One of the things that is remarkable about mediocre is the extent to which it has retained its meaning over the course of more than four centuries of continual use. The word, when used as an adjective, has changed very little, if at all, in its meaning since it was used in a 1586 book titled The English Secretorie (our earliest known evidence): “Mediocre, a meane betwixt high and low, vehement and slender, too much and too little as we saye. . . .” The word comes to English via Middle French from the Latin word mediocris, meaning "of medium size, moderate, middling, commonplace," and perhaps originally "halfway to the top." The noun form of mediocre is mediocrity.

The heck with mediocre.  I'm going to make an concerted effort to use 'betwixt' at least once a day.  

Archived