2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Bah,when you look back it will be irrelevant if they win our lose. The right now moment.....watching, as together as you can, is the real victory and forever memory 

Enjoy every single second my man!

Exactly right. It feels silly at times to invest so much emotion in the outcome of a sports game. But it's in the moment, and the shared experience of watching, that makes sports so wonderful.

I don't imagine Phillies fans will ever forget that Bryce Harper home run, and now that they've won and advanced to the World Series they have the opportunity to create even more memories just like that one. I'm pulling for you, BGleas.

On 10/24/2022 at 12:25 PM, rico said:

It will be interesting to see what moves the Yankees make in the off season.

Listening to DP show this morning he said he heard the Giants won't be outbid on this one...i.e Judge.

I think Judge is appointment tv for some...but no way in the world I'd spend the reported $500M that's been  floating around. He's only 4 months younger than Trout. Turns 31 next year.

I'd rather my team go find 3 starting pitchers, pay them each $30M per year for 5 years and still have $50M left. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Listening to DP show this morning he said he heard the Giants won't be outbid on this one...i.e Judge.

I think Judge is appointment tv for some...but no way in the world I'd spend the reported $500M that's been  floating around. He's only 4 months younger than Trout. Turns 31 next year.

I'd rather my team go find 3 starting pitchers, pay them each $30M per year for 5 years and still have $50M left. 

I guess the question might be:  Where does Judge want to play?

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were a GM I am not going to give more than 6 years to a 30+ old player

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On MLB they are showing game 5 of the 1980 NLCS Phillies at the Astros. Man the game looked so different especially with the old astro turf.  A lot more contact and balls put in ave. Obvious the pitchers aren't throwing as hard. Nolan Ryan throws hard but not over 100

Nolan Ryan was clocked at over 100 mph...

Link

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

See the source image

You know what I meant because you know if he pitched a lot more innings and years to accumulate those strikeouts. Nobody will pitch 25 years plus over 300 innings a year. It has been shown their are way more strikeouts per game now and a lot less ball put into play 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You know what I meant because you know if he pitched a lot more innings and years to accumulate those strikeouts. Nobody will pitch 25 years plus over 300 innings a year. It has been shown their are way more strikeouts per game now and a lot less ball put into play 

I guess I was off he pitched 27 years 5386 innings 5714 k's

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Every hitter likes fastballs, just like everybody likes ice cream. But you don't like it when someone's stuffing it into you by the gallon. That's what it feels like when Nolan Ryan's throwing balls by you." 

Reggie Jackson

It would be interesting to see how Ryan's fastball translated to today's game.  Hitters are used to seeing triple digit heat nowadays.  With it being more common, does the familiarity make Ryan less dominant.

I was looking at his stats last night when this discussion came up and was very surprised that he holds 3 all-time records. Of course, I knew about the strikeouts and walks.  But, I was frankly shocked to see that he also holds the MLB record for lowest career hits per nine innings (at 6.6).

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It would be interesting to see how Ryan's fastball translated to today's game.  Hitters are used to seeing triple digit heat nowadays.  With it being more common, does the familiarity make Ryan less dominant.

I was looking at his stats last night when this discussion came up and was very surprised that he holds 3 all-time records. Of course, I knew about the strikeouts and walks.  But, I was frankly shocked to see that he also holds the MLB record for lowest career hits per nine innings (at 6.6).

Ryan's great curve paired with his heater would make him a dominant pitcher in today's game.  Seems like these young flamethrowers today often are missing a "secondary" pitch that they can throw for strikes.  Or maybe it is just me as I don't watch as much baseball as I did 30 years ago?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Ryan's great curve paired with his heater would make him a dominant pitcher in today's game.  Seems like these young flamethrowers today often are missing a "secondary" pitch that they can throw for strikes.  Or maybe it is just me as I don't watch as much baseball as I did 30 years ago?

When a guy throws 100+ and then you get something that looks like it's coming at your noggin before diving into the strike zone, that'll get your attention... Quickly... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Good question... I'm with @rico thinking that his devastating curveball would have made him dominant...

Most hard throwers nowadays go more with a cutter or slider or even a change up...

To me both the cutter and slider are thrown near fastball speeds and have some movement, and the change has the drastic speed reduction and some movement...

But a good curve drastically changes the speed and has huge movement...

I watched "The Captain" and Derek Jeter said he always looked fastball and adjusted to everything else. That was pretty much the philosophy I was taught. A guy with Ryan's speed you had little chance to begin with... Throw in that bender and you can see why the guy had 7 no-hitters...

Bob Feller was Ryan before Ryan 🙂... Devastating fastball and curveball.

He had 3 no-hitters and 12 (yes 12) one hitters in his career... And lost 4 years of his prime to military service... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I looked up and  saw he was 62-48 in those years. What is amazing is having 100 decisions in a 3 year period where today most pitchers won't start 100 games in 3 years.

That's what pisses me off when I hear his detractors talk about his won/loss record... He pitched for a crappy team for a lot of years. 

I remember watching him on TV vs the White Sox in like 73, and I was wondering how anybody ever touched this guy... 

• Like 1