2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

48 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Espada's pregame speech to the Astros today should be: "OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!"  Damn.  Terrible start. 

Having Verlander back won't hurt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So I don't get the point of autographs any more...

Wasn't it always to "prove" you met someone? With every person on the planet having a camera in their pocket, wouldn't a pic accomplish the same thing, only better? Plus, no writer's cramp :) 

I have so many autographed items...My last house had a full sized finished basement and I had items hanging up/on display everywhere. Now I have much less on display in my office. I was able to get a photo of me with Ryne Sandberg that we printed out and got him to sign on same series.

Some of my highlights in my collection are: Jackie Robinson, Peyton Manning, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, Cal Ripken Jr., Brooks Robinson, Fergie Jenkins, Bill Buckner (1st autograph ever when I was 5), Mark Grace, Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, Gale Sayers, Brian Urlacher, and way more...even Jimmy Buffett, John Mellencamp, and Dr. Seuss from non-sports 😄.

To your comment about other people signing for a celebrity, I believe it was Pete Rose who said he used to hire little old ladies to sign his fan mail back in his playing days 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Having Verlander back won't hurt.

Abreu is a bust (could use just a hint of his mvp season). The starting rotation is broken (agreed re:Verlander however). The daunted 7-8-9 combo of Abreu, Pressley, and Hader has been abominable.  Fortunately it’s a long season. Work these kinks out and have some midseason success. 

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I’ve still got the autographs I accumulated as a kid/teenager. Among the more notable: Cal Ripken, Wayne Gretzky, Jeff Gordon, Tiger Woods.

The crown jewel is actually from my dad: a baseball signed by the majority of the 1959 White Sox, including HOF 2B Nellie Fox on the sweet spot. Fox died in 1975 at the age of 47, so his is a somewhat rare signature to find. The other 3 HOFers also signed the ball (Luis Aparicio, Al Lopez, Early Wynn). 

I’ve turned down a 5 figure offer for that ball, as is, with no authentication. What it represents is priceless. 

My Dad's favorite team ever was the 59 White Sox. He's got a ball from that team as well but it's so dirty/smudged you can't make out the names anymore. 

Really cool story. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have so many autographed items...My last house had a full sized finished basement and I had items hanging up/on display everywhere. Now I have much less on display in my office. I was able to get a photo of me with Ryne Sandberg that we printed out and got him to sign on same series.

Some of my highlights in my collection are: Jackie Robinson, Peyton Manning, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, Cal Ripken Jr., Brooks Robinson, Fergie Jenkins, Bill Buckner (1st autograph ever when I was 5), Mark Grace, Walter Payton, Dick Butkus, Gale Sayers, Brian Urlacher, and way more...even Jimmy Buffett, John Mellencamp, and Dr. Seuss from non-sports 😄.

To your comment about other people signing for a celebrity, I believe it was Pete Rose who said he used to hire little old ladies to sign his fan mail back in his playing days 🤣

I guess I just never collected things...Don't know why...I had a ton of autographs of Indy 500 drivers...Rutherford (my favorite...very nice man dealing with kids), Foyt (begrudgingly), Jones, Jimmy Clark...Some Reds autographs...But I'd lose them, or they'd be purged by Mom...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Abreu is a bust (could use just a hint of his mvp season). The starting rotation is broken (agreed re:Verlander however). The daunted 7-8-9 combo of Abreu, Pressley, and Hader has been abominable.  Fortunately it’s a long season. Work these kinks out and have some midseason success. 

The union guy I have to deal with is a huge Astros fan...I swear he has every color of the rainbow in hats and jerseys (they don't make controllers dress very professionally :) )...He's already on the "fire Espada" train...

I told him he needs to be an IU fan ;) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My Dad's favorite team ever was the 59 White Sox. He's got a ball from that team as well but it's so dirty/smudged you can't make out the names anymore. 

Really cool story. Thanks for sharing!

Even if it's bad condition, if Fox's signature is halfway readable, it's likely still worth some coin.  Outside of the true "pioneer" days, Fox is one of the rarer HOF autographs. 

Only thing my dad didn't keep was his standing room ticket stub from Game 2 of the Series.  He and a friend cut school and waited in line by the ticket office of Comiskey most of the morning to get in.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to like Cubs color analyst Jim Deshaies...when Nico Hoerner had a 3-1 count, Deshaies says, "put it in the box, Nico. One pitch, one spot." Sure enough, Hoener hits a single to left...

To which Deshaies say, "Nothing like hitting advice from an .079 lifetime hitter." 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Cubs need to get a closer. Just gave up 2 run homer with 1 out in top of ninth...now down 3-2.

Another blown save. I think it makes 3 or 4...but Jed said nobody makes deals in April or May. What an idiot. Costing this team a phenomenal start considering the schedule.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Another blown save. I think it makes 3 or 4...but Jed said nobody makes deals in April or May. What an idiot. Costing this team a phenomenal start considering the schedule.

Jed knew they needed more help in the pen coming into the season. Alzolay is not a closer. Cuas was terrible. He should have addressed this during the offseason. This is the stuff that drives me crazy with the Cubs...they are being cheap with the bullpen and they have money/assets that can at least somewhat remedy this, but Rickets/Jed holding onto those nickels.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The union guy I have to deal with is a huge Astros fan...I swear he has every color of the rainbow in hats and jerseys (they don't make controllers dress very professionally :) )...He's already on the "fire Espada" train...

I told him he needs to be an IU fan ;) 

The Astros have a very colorful palette.  Here are my hats, minus the Space City one not pictured. 

IMG_3207.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Jed knew they needed more help in the pen coming into the season. Alzolay is not a closer. Cuas was terrible. He should have addressed this during the offseason. This is the stuff that drives me crazy with the Cubs...they are being cheap with the bullpen and they have money/assets that can at least somewhat remedy this, but Rickets/Jed holding onto those nickels.

Exactly, perfectly avoidable issue they could have solved in the off-season. These are the types of games that will really hurt at the end of the season if they are a game or two out of a playoff spot or a higher playoff seed.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Exactly, perfectly avoidable issue they could have solved in the off-season. These are the types of games that will really hurt at the end of the season if they are a game or two out of a playoff spot or a higher playoff seed.

And I'll add with guys at 2nd and 3rd with 1 one out why Bellinger didn't get a shot there?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Umpire Joe West wearing an Astros jersey while behind the plate back in 1982.  Would have loved to been in the stands for tat one.

image.jpeg.7118795a8fac60369426dd78cd7e4088.jpeg

Surprised they had one that fit Joe 🙂

• Haha 1