Offseason 2022

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Katz just shows what a clown he is by buying into that hype.  Cal doesn't develop crap.  Cal gets draft-ready players and makes them...draft-ready players.  Ask Skal Labissiere or Tyreke Evans how well Cal developed them.  Evans swore Cal messed up his shot.  Skal went from lottery pick to a 2-season NBA bust.  There are plenty more examples of players actually going backwards under Cal's "development" and a ton of his players that simply "met expectations".

I think I could get most of Cal's NBA players into the NBA simply by rolling the ball out and letting them play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What a joke. And Greg Gard isn’t on the list? Although probably not too Ryan’s level, no coaching staff develops players like Wisky. 

16 hours ago, DWB said:

Not surprising to me, at least for the first few games. Get everyone some good minutes. But I'd be surprised if he used a 10 man rotation for the UNC, KU, AZ games. If he does, we must be a lot better than I think we are at this point.

Who would you not have expected to get minutes from Geronimo, Banks, Reneau, Galloway, and Bates/Kopp?

Part of me would love to see it get trimmed down but I also think all those guys bring a lot to the table. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Who would you not have expected to get minutes from Geronimo, Banks, Reneau, Galloway, and Bates/Kopp?

I'm not singling anybody out for less minutes. I believe the rotation should be based on who is producing in a game to game basis. If X or JHS is cold, (or anyone else), sub them out with someone who will produce. Even starters have an off nite once in a while.

I'm not crazy about the platoon subbing pattern, because the 2nd platoon has no feel for the game whatsoever. Could take several possessions to aclimate and adjust.

IF Woody does indeed, want to play faster, then more subbing may be appropriate to give guys a blow more often. But until I see it, I doubt if we'll play all that fast. (would love to see it, as it's entertaining, but you better be able to shoot...)

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Part of me would love to see it get trimmed down but I also think all those guys bring a lot to the table. 

Of those guys I would cut minutes of Kopp and Galloway

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Who do we even expect to be the starting 5? Seems like there’s a ton of options so it’s hard to figure out a rotation. Is JHS a day one starter?

I think you have to assume JHS is a lock starter at this point. 

The program has been putting out a ton of good press on him since media day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Who do we even expect to be the starting 5? Seems like there’s a ton of options so it’s hard to figure out a rotation. Is JHS a day one starter?

IMO day 1 started and if all goes well a one and done but at most I expect 2 years, KID has the IT factor that you cannot keep on the bench. 

I’d assume same lineup as last year with JHS taking PS spot. I’d love for Tamar to be so improved that he works his way in. 

When talking about minutes I hate to say this because it might seem like I’m knocking the kid when that is no where near my intention, but we have yet to make it through a full year without Galloway missing extended time with injury. I have a feeling there are going to be minutes that otherwise would be allotted to him that have to go somewhere else. Hopefully I’m wrong and he is healthy from 10/29 through whatever Monday night we play for the championship. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

IMO day 1 started and if all goes well a one and done but at most I expect 2 years, KID has the IT factor that you cannot keep on the bench. 

I definitely think it's between JHS and Tamar for the 5th slot.

During the podcast with Rothstein Coach Woodson said that Tamar has made great strides over the summer, and we saw during the 3 point contest his skill there. Coach also said JHS was "streaky" on his outside shot...and we do need shooting more than anything... 

I think both can be effective on the drinble-drive and pull up jumpers...

Might come down to the defensive end. JHS has a reputation as a great on the ball defender, but that was against (really good) high school kids... Tamar had his struggles on defense, but it looks like he's changed his body and gained strength which will help him...

I expect both to get 20+ mpg, but we'll see how Coach plays it... JHS was a sub his junior year at Montverde, and I think he's one of those kids that truly wants to do whatever it takes to win... Including coming of the bench... 

• Like 4

Just now, IUFLA said:

I definitely think it's between JHS and Tamar for the 5th slot.

During the podcast with Rothstein Coach Woodson said that Tamar has made great strides over the summer, and we saw during the 3 point contest his skill there. Coach also said JHS was "streaky" on his outside shot...and we do need shooting more than anything... 

I think both can be effective on the drinble-drive and pull up jumpers...

Might come down to the defensive end. JHS has a reputation as a great on the ball defender, but that was against (really good) high school kids... Tamar had his struggles on defense, but it looks like he's changed his body and gained strength which will help him...

I expect both to get 20+ mpg, but we'll see how Coach plays it... JHS was a sub his junior year at Montverde, and I think he's one of those kids that truly wants to do whatever it takes to win... Including coming of the bench... 

I agree with a whole lot of that for sure. Have heard that there are 7 or 8 guys that on most years would be penciled in starters. We finally have enough talent to win now lets see what the staff does with it and how they come together. I am excited. If the things that people are saying about practice and what we will see this year its safe to say this will be the most explosive fun  , up tempo team to watch since VIc and Cody and Jordy etc.. A high school coach that I tryst highly told me that this team as more overall talent than any team since Cheaney and company. Thats impressive and I just hope I am not getting my hopes up too high. I fear the lack of shooting

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’d assume same lineup as last year with JHS taking PS spot. I’d love for Tamar to be so improved that he works his way in. 

When talking about minutes I hate to say this because it might seem like I’m knocking the kid when that is no where near my intention, but we have yet to make it through a full year without Galloway missing extended time with injury. I have a feeling there are going to be minutes that otherwise would be allotted to him that have to go somewhere else. Hopefully I’m wrong and he is healthy from 10/29 through whatever Monday night we play for the championship. 

Maurice Creek up until the invasion was playing pro ball in the Ukraine. He had a bad run at IU but he’s done well since then. Hopefully Trey is finished with his bad run!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with a whole lot of that for sure. Have heard that there are 7 or 8 guys that on most years would be penciled in starters. We finally have enough talent to win now lets see what the staff does with it and how they come together. I am excited. If the things that people are saying about practice and what we will see this year its safe to say this will be the most explosive fun  , up tempo team to watch since VIc and Cody and Jordy etc.. A high school coach that I tryst highly told me that this team as more overall talent than any team since Cheaney and company. Thats impressive and I just hope I am not getting my hopes up too high. I fear the lack of shooting

Shooting is the obvious concern.  I think if we could trade maybe Kopp and Bates for Hulls and JBJ we'd talking a FF team and legit title contender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I fear the lack of shooting

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Shooting is the obvious concern.

Totally agree.  We've been the worst shooting BigTen team for 5 long years.

I'm curious what steps they've taken to address this, with the current players.  Woodson implemented defense last year, with very good results.

But improved shooting solves so many problems, and helps recruiting.  Especially 3-point shooting.

16 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Totally agree.  We've been the worst shooting BigTen team for 5 long years.

I'm curious what steps they've taken to address this, with the current players.  Woodson implemented defense last year, with very good results.

But improved shooting solves so many problems, and helps recruiting.  Especially 3-point shooting.

Always say shooting is 

Form 

Repetition

Confidence 

Sometimes that last one can just be improved on by putting in the work on the first two... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Always say shooting is 

Form 

Repetition

Confidence 

Sometimes that last on can just be improved on by putting in the work on the first two... 

I wish I could "like" this post 100 times.  So often people say "he just needs more confidence."  Not if the player has incorrect shooting form.

And shooting 500 shots a day with bad form won't move the needle.  A flat shot, for example, shrinks the size of the basket drastically.  Gotta have the right arc.

I believe we have players who will work hard, and take instruction.  I hope we see results this year, if any steps were taken to improve this area.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A flat shot, for example, shrinks the size of the basket drastically.

Jerome Hunter in a nutshell...

10 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I hope we see results this year, if any steps were taken to improve this area.

Race talked about coach's instructions on hand position and catching the ball ready to shoot over the off-season...