Offseason 2022

IU has guys like Trayce, who keep getting better and better, their losses are addition by subtraction, and they added impact players like JHS.  The league lost alot of players.  Other teams have had some overhauls to their roster.  That's a tall task to get that in order in one year.  IU is rightfully the number one prediction.  Easily, quite frankly.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Maedhros said:

The Unofficial Big Ten Media Poll has been released by Brendan Quinn:

https://theathletic.com/3664020/2022/10/10/big-ten-basketball-indiana-illinois/

(first-place votes in parenthesis)

1. Indiana, 43 (19)
  2. Illinois, 81 (6)
  3. Michigan, 92 (1)
  4. Michigan State, 139
  5. Purdue, 141 (1)
  6. Ohio State, 167
  7. Iowa, 185 (1)
  8. Rutgers, 218
  9. Wisconsin, 229
  10. Maryland, 267
  11. Penn State, 304
  12. Minnesota, 334
  13. Northwestern, 362
  14. Nebraska, 378 

Hunter Dickinson is preseason Player of the Year, by one vote over Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Jalen Hood-Schifino is the Freshman of the Year, garnering a majority of the vote.

Trayce is First Team All-Big Ten. Xavier is Second Team.

Brendan himself had Indiana third:

"Yes, IU is widely considered the league favorite. It’s also essentially the same team that finished 48th in KenPom’s efficiency ratings last year. It’s the same team that needed an epic collapse from Michigan to reach the NCAA Tournament. It’s the same team that shot under 32 percent on 3s. There’s talent, though, led by Jackson-Davis, and the league’s best returning defense."

Brendan sounds like an idiot. We brought in the best recruiting class in the conference, but yeah, largely the same team just because we happened to also bring back our three best players. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Those are fair points. But the B1G lost a lot of scoring from last year. Any other year, I agree that we are in the 3-4 range. Other teams have just as big question marks.

I'm going to be honest, our lack of proven shooters still gives me indigestion. On the other end of the argument, the ability to more consistently pull TJD out for the pick and roll at the end of the season has me hopeful we may not see as much stagnation on the offensive side of the floor. 

Who will step up this year? I'm sure at this time last year nobody saw  Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray playing their way into the lottery. This year, hopefully that 'out of nowhere' player in the B1G will be Bates or JHS....we always seem to be one good guard/wing away from being a top team in the conference. 

I actually don't think they're fair points, I think they're lazy points that ignore just how close we were last year. "Michigan" collapse also ignores good IU played, but I digress. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I actually don't think they're fair points, I think they're lazy points that ignore just how close we were last year. "Michigan" collapse also ignores good IU played, but I digress. 

Our offense was inconsistent though. A jump from Kenpom 48 to top 10 (where a B1G champ would be ranked at the end of the season) is a big jump in any year. Nobody on this team has experience playing ‘the hunted’ in this league either.

I think the points are fair

….you may think his conclusion is lazy, though. And I get that. Other teams have question marks. We had injuries last year. We began to show progress on offense. Etc. 

I hate to be the guy saying this, but IU has not out-performed their pre-season expectations since Crean was here. It’s not a leap to doubt them. How many 3+ game winning streaks has anybody on this team been a part of after January 1st? Because we’ll need a lot of those winning streaks. We can’t be dropping every 2nd game if we want that championship.

I don’t mean to be pooping on everybody’s parade. I’m just trying to manage my own expectations. Let’s just say I’m ‘hopeful’ at this time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IU has guys like Trayce, who keep getting better and better, their losses are addition by subtraction, and they added impact players like JHS.  The league lost alot of players.  Other teams have had some overhauls to their roster.  That's a tall task to get that in order in one year.  IU is rightfully the number one prediction.  Easily, quite frankly.

Absolutely.  It's easy to make the bull case for IU this year simply by looking around the Big Ten.

Sure, they may lay an egg, but I think the team is mature enough and talented enough to be as good as or better than any team in the Big Ten this season.  You still have to get it done and as long as there is a human element involved, teams will over and under-perform.

...but yes, my personal expectations for IU basketball this season is higher than it's been in awhile.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Our offense was inconsistent though. A jump from Kenpom 48 to top 10 (where a B1G champ would be ranked at the end of the season) is a big jump in any year. Nobody on this team has experience playing ‘the hunted’ in this league either.

I think the points are fair

….you may think his conclusion is lazy, though. And I get that. Other teams have question marks. We had injuries last year. We began to show progress on offense. Etc. 

I hate to be the guy saying this, but IU has not out-performed their pre-season expectations since Crean was here. It’s not a leap to doubt them. How many 3+ game winning streaks has anybody on this team been a part of after January 1st? Because we’ll need a lot of those winning streaks. We can’t be dropping every 2nd game if we want that championship.

I don’t mean to be pooping on everybody’s parade. I’m just trying to manage my own expectations. Let’s just say I’m ‘hopeful’ at this time. 

What team returns players that do check those boxes? It’s lazy and unfair to knock IU for that when there is no one else that returns the guys that fit the profile you’re knocking us for.

If everyone was projecting us to jump teams that had done that then it’s absolutely a fair criticism, but we aren’t really competing at the top with any of the same teams (in terms of key players) that were there last year. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Purdue will suck considering Braden Smith is dominant in scrimmages and is a little scrub….😳

There were a number of people here that really wanted to see him at IU.  For sure, he's a little undersized, but he'll be a 4-year Hoosier-killer is my prediction.  I hope I'm wrong on that one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Couldn’t agree more. If Bates is indeed much improved/more focused as has been advertised, that’s basically a new addition in of itself to go with JHS & Malik. An improved Geronimo would be an absolute X factor. If Kopp gets his stroke back it’s a game changer. IU had so many pieces last year that were young or just uncharacteristically under performed causing TJD and XJ to press and take matters into their own hands in critical situations. If this team isn’t drastically different this year it would be such a let down. I can’t see that happening. I can’t think of another program that brought back as much talent while adding as much talent as IU has.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

There were a number of people here that really wanted to see him at IU.  For sure, he's a little undersized, but he'll be a 4-year Hoosier-killer is my prediction.  I hope I'm wrong on that one.

A few insiders have told me he is playing great….probably the starter 

he looks like a wrestler now ….crazy to see video from sophomore year…looks like a chubby 8th grader 

interested to hear how gunn & banks are doing…,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Couldn’t agree more. If Bates is indeed much improved/more focused as has been advertised, that’s basically a new addition in of itself to go with JHS & Malik. An improved Geronimo would be an absolute X factor. If Kopp gets his stroke back it’s a game changer. IU had so many pieces last year that were young or just uncharacteristically under performed causing TJD and XJ to press and take matters into their own hands in critical situations. If this team isn’t drastically different this year it would be such a let down. I can’t see that happening. I can’t think of another program that brought back as much talent while adding as much talent as IU has.  

You guys never really had a long stretch with everyone healthy 

it would be disappointing if nobody improved in the off-season…almost impossible 

CMW will have less distractions this year 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

You guys never really had a long stretch with everyone healthy 

it would be disappointing if nobody improved in the off-season…almost impossible 

CMW will have less distractions this year 

Agreed. I don't think the Windy City 5 will happen, and I firmly believe without that we would have been like a 9 seed last year.

So yeah, a team like that the peaked at the end of the year, returned every single key player, and brought in a great recruiting class fits the profile of a team leaping into the top 10-15 the following year. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It’s rare to see Painter gush about a player like this (especially a freshman nonetheless).  He’s not one to just blow smoke for the hell of it. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Maedhros said:

The Unofficial Big Ten Media Poll has been released by Brendan Quinn:

https://theathletic.com/3664020/2022/10/10/big-ten-basketball-indiana-illinois/

(first-place votes in parenthesis)

1. Indiana, 43 (19)
  2. Illinois, 81 (6)
  3. Michigan, 92 (1)
  4. Michigan State, 139
  5. Purdue, 141 (1)
  6. Ohio State, 167
  7. Iowa, 185 (1)
  8. Rutgers, 218
  9. Wisconsin, 229
  10. Maryland, 267
  11. Penn State, 304
  12. Minnesota, 334
  13. Northwestern, 362
  14. Nebraska, 378 

Hunter Dickinson is preseason Player of the Year, by one vote over Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Jalen Hood-Schifino is the Freshman of the Year, garnering a majority of the vote.

Trayce is First Team All-Big Ten. Xavier is Second Team.

Brendan himself had Indiana third:

"Yes, IU is widely considered the league favorite. It’s also essentially the same team that finished 48th in KenPom’s efficiency ratings last year. It’s the same team that needed an epic collapse from Michigan to reach the NCAA Tournament. It’s the same team that shot under 32 percent on 3s. There’s talent, though, led by Jackson-Davis, and the league’s best returning defense."

I take it that Fran's anger management therapist had a vote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s rare to see Painter gush about a player like this (especially a freshman nonetheless).  He’s not one to just blow smoke for the hell of it. 

I'll wait to see if he holds his own, especially on the defensive end, against the Xavier Johnson's, Tony Perkins, AJ Hoggards, Chucky Hepburn's, Paul Mulcahy s, and Jalen Pickett's of the world before I'd be convinced...