Offseason 2022

From down here in SC, reading all of this is a fascinating debate. Everybody makes decent arguments for their position/theory on who should play and how many minutes. You can pick out stats to support your thesis.

But from my standpoint, this all tells me that we SHOULD be very good this year. We appear to have sufficient talent, sufficient coaching, players have bought into Woody's concepts, and the chemistry by all accounts is better than last year, which was touted as being good (turns out it had a few flaws).

I hope the rotation is based on productivity on a game by game basis. Everybody is not "on" every time they hit the floor. But with our depth, Woody should have multiple choices per position in order to fix it during the game. I suspect we'll see guys get more minutes in one game and maybe no minutes in another (or very few).

In any case, its obvious we're all passionate about the team this year.

Go Hoosiers !!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize I was talking about minutes per game

But a guy playing 8 MPG is playing more than mop up duty in blowouts if he is playing in half the games. That’s a guy that got some sort of run in those games when it mattered. I am well aware if you add up a teams MPG it’ll be over 200, but teams playing 8 guys in their rotation all year is absolutely not the norm for good teams. It may tighten to that with injuries and towards the end of the year, but it isn’t what happens in normal circumstances over the entire season. If nothing else, playing more guys develops depth and keeps your stars fresh and healthy so that you can tighten the rotation when you need to. 

• Like 1

Out of Carolina’s top 11 guys in TOTAL minutes played, every single one of them averaged double digit minutes, played in 30 or more games, or both.

Thats absolutely not a team that wasn’t playing a deep rotation. You don’t play I. 30 games in mop up duty, you have a role for a few minutes per game at a minimum if you’re getting in that many games. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Out of Carolina’s top 11 guys in TOTAL minutes played, every single one of them averaged double digit minutes, played in 30 or more games, or both.

Thats absolutely not a team that wasn’t playing a deep rotation. You don’t play I. 30 games in mop up duty, you have a role for a few minutes per game at a minimum if you’re getting in that many games. 

I see 9 guys averaged double digit minutes and only 8 guys played 30 games or more.  They most likely would have had 10 guys play 30+ games but Dawson Garcia and Anthony Harris, who averaged 20.6 and 11.7 mpg, were lost for the season so NC tightened their rotation and also went on their run to the title game. I don't know how that will relate to IU this year but I trust Coach Woodson will figure it out.

But a guy playing 8 MPG is playing more than mop up duty in blowouts if he is playing in half the games. That’s a guy that got some sort of run in those games when it mattered. I am well aware if you add up a teams MPG it’ll be over 200, but teams playing 8 guys in their rotation all year is absolutely not the norm for good teams. It may tighten to that with injuries and towards the end of the year, but it isn’t what happens in normal circumstances over the entire season. If nothing else, playing more guys develops depth and keeps your stars fresh and healthy so that you can tighten the rotation when you need to. 

Just look at it this way if a teams plays 35 games and s player plays 70 minutes all season. To me that player played 2mpg but if the player only plays in 14 games his mpg is 5.  Also those final four teams I watched a lot of their games. For the most part they played 7-8 players and a other couple of players may e get a couple minutes. Also you have to take in account injuries or foul trouble leading to some of those minutes by those players who  might have played in half the games.

You must have not watched UNC very much

Just now, Lurker said:

I see 9 guys averaged double digit minutes and only 8 guys played 30 games or more.  They most likely would have had 10 guys play 30+ games but Dawson Garcia and Anthony Harris, who averaged 20.6 and 11.7 mpg, were lost for the season so NC tightened their rotation and also went on their run to the title game. I don't know how that will relate to IU this year but I trust Coach Woodson will figure it out.

Correct, but that doesn't contradict what I said. 9 guys averaged double digits, and then two more who didn't average double digits played in 30+ games. 6 guys played in 30+ games and averaged double digits. 

I don't see anyone in their top 11 in minutes played you could make a case wasn't a part of their regular rotation. The only reason I'm harping on UNC is it was the first example Scott gave and it proves the exact opposite of what he was saying. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

When you have 4 starters average 30+ minutes means you aren't really going deep. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You must have not watched UNC very much

I want to know who in their top 11 in minutes played you don't think was a part of their rotation? If it was someone that got hurt or transferred, it kind of proves the point of why we should play a lot of guys because things like that happen....

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Correct, but that doesn't contradict what I said. 9 guys averaged double digits, and then two more who didn't average double digits played in 30+ games. 6 guys played in 30+ games and averaged double digits. 

I don't see anyone in their top 11 in minutes played you could make a case wasn't a part of their regular rotation. The only reason I'm harping on UNC is it was the first example Scott gave and it proves the exact opposite of what he was saying. 

Yeah, I only glanced at their stats because you guys did. I think you both make good points.  NC played a tight rotation as the season went on but that was necessary due, at least in part, because those two guys went down. I thought it interesting that they seemed to find their stride when Garcia was out. Seemed to be a chemistry thing and not something that that IU could duplicate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I want to know who in their top 11 in minutes played you don't think was a part of their rotation? If it was someone that got hurt or transferred, it kind of proves the point of why we should play a lot of guys because things like that happen....

Dunn, Styles and McCoy wasn't part of their main rotation and Johnson didn't play much until Garcia and Harris went out. 

Take Durr for instance with us last year it shows he played 7 minutes a game but I wouldn't say he was in our rotation.  He might play a few minutes in the first half and a lot of times wouldn't play in the second half. Sometimes they did the same thing for Geronimo.  It shows Leal played 10mpg game, would you say I'm was in our rotation.

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Dunn, Styles and McCoy wasn't part of their main rotation and Johnson didn't play much until Garcia and Harris went out. 

Take Durr for instance with us last year it shows he played 7 minutes a game but I wouldn't say he was in our rotation.  He might play a few minutes in the first half and a lot of times wouldn't play in the second half. Sometimes they did the same thing for Geronimo.  It shows Leal played 10mpg game, would you say I'm was in our rotation.

Durr was absolutely in our rotation last year. 

• Like 2