Offseason 2022

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll wait to see if he holds his own, especially on the defensive end, against the Xavier Johnson's, Tony Perkins, AJ Hoggards, Chucky Hepburn's, Paul Mulcahy s, and Jalen Pickett's of the world before I'd be convinced... 

Oh I agree with you. Just unusual to hear Painter heap that level of praise on a freshman like that. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s rare to see Painter gush about a player like this (especially a freshman nonetheless).  He’s not one to just blow smoke for the hell of it. 

I think he is going to be an absolute bulldog…especially as an upper class man but remind me again who he is playing against daily in your practices? While I think your front court will be really tough this year and I like Smiths long term outlook I’m not sure how much to expect from him. For this year just running the offense and getting the ball to the right guy should be all they ask of him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll wait to see if he holds his own, especially on the defensive end, against the Xavier Johnson's, Tony Perkins, AJ Hoggards, Chucky Hepburn's, Paul Mulcahy s, and Jalen Pickett's of the world before I'd be convinced... 

That will be the hardest thing for him...just like it was for Jordan Hulls.  Hulls was a hell of a player though.

I suspect he'll be very good on the offensive end, but if I'm an opposing coach trying to get him off the floor, I'd sure try to do it on the defensive end.  Sounds like he's a really smart player and that makes up for some physical limitations.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

A few insiders have told me he is playing great….probably the starter 

he looks like a wrestler now ….crazy to see video from sophomore year…looks like a chubby 8th grader 

interested to hear how gunn & banks are doing…,

IU always has a guy that similar things are said about in the offseason and it doesn’t necessarily pan out that way. Lots of different factors play into it like who’s the kid going up against in practice? Is he a gamer or the type that plays lights out in practice but doesn’t find rhythm during games/gets nervous on the big stage? Will he actually get the minutes necessary to showcase his talents? I certainly don’t doubt Painter’s ability to take an undervalued kid and make him into a solid contributor but I take offseason analysis with a grain of salt. If the kid can play PG at this level with any sort of success as a freshman it would be a huge win for Purdue 

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think he is going to be an absolute bulldog…especially as an upper class man but remind me again who he is playing against daily in your practices? While I think your front court will be really tough this year and I like Smiths long term outlook I’m not sure how much to expect from him. For this year just running the offense and getting the ball to the right guy should be all they ask of him.

Daily he’s going up against grad transfer David Jenkins, Fletcher Loyer, Brandon Newman, etc… so I def see your point. Will be fun to watch how his game progresses. Just have to hope he stays healthy. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That will be the hardest thing for him...just like it was for Jordan Hulls.  Hulls was a hell of a player though.

I suspect he'll be very good on the offensive end, but if I'm an opposing coach trying to get him off the floor, I'd sure try to do it on the defensive end.  Sounds like he's a really smart player and that makes up for some physical limitations.

I think the biggest (no pun intended) limitation is his height but I believe he has like a 6’4/6’5 wingspan which will absolutely help. Athleticism/quickness/strength don’t appear to be issues as he appears to be pretty solidly built for a true freshman. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

IU always has a guy that similar things are said about in the offseason and it doesn’t necessarily pan out that way. Lots of different factors play into it like who’s the kid going up against in practice? Is he a gamer or the type that plays lights out in practice but doesn’t find rhythm during games/gets nervous on the big stage? Will he actually get the minutes necessary to showcase his talents? I certainly don’t doubt Painter’s ability to take an undervalued kid and make him into a solid contributor but I take offseason analysis with a grain of salt. If the kid can play PG at this level with any sort of success as a freshman it would be a huge win for Purdue 

I don’t think there’s any doubt about the minutes he’ll get tbh. I’m guessing he plays 20 mpg easily barring something crazy. But you’re right that practice doesn’t mean it’ll carry over to the actual games. 

So, I was gonna go back over the same old ground again, comparing what we have coming back, what we have coming in, vs what every other Big 10 team has coming back, and/or coming in via recruiting or the portal, but I think everyone already knows that...

The thing that hasn't been really discussed is "The Mike Woodson Factor."

This is Mike Woodson's record as an NBA head coach...

image.png.b877eb9e9ac0c85e4fbfd763b97feeff.png

Every year his teams improved, except for the last year with the Knicks (who only won 17 games the year after Coach Woodson left)...

Last year, the questions centered more around could he do the things in college (particularly recruiting) that he didn't have to do in the NBA...I'd say that question has been answered...

It's pretty obvious to me that Mike Woodson can coach basketball...His mindset on winning, competition, making these young fellas into great young men beyond the basketball aspect and his overall leadership of the program is top shelf stuff as far as I'm concerned...

And as Coach Woodson says, "you gotta play the game...you can't hide from it."

And I'm not going to...I think we're going to be good...really good...

• Like 4

Loyer is the guy to worry about athletically….long but slow feet 

Smith has elite ball handling & passing skills…..which KL showed in HS too 

obviously Big Ten is a far cry from AAU but I really like both schools freshman class 

You guys still don’t think Gunn can push Kopp & TG for wing minutes?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So, I was gonna go back over the same old ground again, comparing what we have coming back, what we have coming in, vs what every other Big 10 team has coming back, and/or coming in via recruiting or the portal, but I think everyone already knows that...

Every year his teams improved, except for the last year with the Knicks (who only won 17 games the year after Coach Woodson left)...

Last year, the questions centered more around could he do the things in college (particularly recruiting) that he didn't have to do in the NBA...I'd say that question has been answered...

It's pretty obvious to me that Mike Woodson can coach basketball...His mindset on winning, competition, making these young fellas into great young men beyond the basketball aspect and his overall leadership of the program is top shelf stuff as far as I'm concerned...

Can you go back and find all the posts doubtful of CMW this time last year ?

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He also has a presence and commands respect.  He expects character and toughness and you don't want to let him down.  He's got a warm side too that evens it out.  He's got class too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Loyer is the guy to worry about athletically….long but slow feet 

Smith has elite ball handling & passing skills…..which KL showed in HS too 

obviously Big Ten is a far cry from AAU but I really like both schools freshman class 

You guys still don’t think Gunn can push Kopp & TG for wing minutes?

I think Gunn and Banks would have been big contributors on last year's team. This year, just too many people ahead of them. In addition to Kopp and Galloway, don't forget JHS, Bates, Leal and Geronimo who all will be fighting for minutes at the 2 and or 3 spots. 

2 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Can you go back and find all the posts doubtful of CMW this time last year ?

I was doubtful about his coaching.  Nothing wrong with doubting a coach who had never coached in the NCAA.  And he still hasn't won anything.  Great Leader, yes.  Great Recruiter, Sure seems like it.  Great College Coach, Time will tell.  Looking good though.  Going back and saying Told ya so is stupid and childish.  Its perfectly fine to have doubts about something when the evidence doesn't point either way.  This year will be telling.  I am not sure how much we upgraded our shooting, but we did add some really solid pieces to an already solid team.  Our defense is elite, we just need to find ways to get the ball in the bucket a higher percent.  We do that and we're gonna have a great year.  We fail to do that, and you're going to have people question his ability to recruit and coach the right type of kids with this much talent.

I wasn't happy with the hire when it happened.  I was not happy with how some of the games were coached and his substitution pattern.  But I believe he is leading us in the right direction.  If we keep moving up and forward, i will support him fully.  If we don't do any better than Coach Crean or Coach Miller, well, I will criticize him the same i did those coaches, if it warrants it.  But Praise should be give when due also, and i will do that too

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think Gunn and Banks would have been big contributors on last year's team. This year, just too many people ahead of them. In addition to Kopp and Galloway, don't forget JHS, Bates, Leal and Geronimo who all will be fighting for minutes at the 2 and or 3 spots. 

I agree, we have too many chess peices and most of them are not pawns.  We have allot of key players who are gonna want their time.  Should be interesting to see.

I agree that we should be a much improved team. All of the pieces are there.

But still...the burning question is can we shoot (read "make it") from 15'-22' with any kind of consistency? We all have hopes for the "shooters" to start hitting them this year, but repitition shooting on your own, or even against team mates ain't the same as game pressure.

Sure hope somebody steps up his game from deep. JHS isn't known for it, Gunn is, but can he play defense, and can he play at this level? Don't know enough about Kaleb to comment on him. Bates/Gallo/JG/Kopp haven't demonstrated it so far in games. Everybody is talking about Bates, but until I see it in multiple games, against the likes of AZ, UNC, & KU put me in the wait and see camp.

Don't get me wrong, I want this team to kick everybody's ass. I think we can, we just have to bring the mindset, confidence, and skill to the game. Seems like the guys have that in spades during the pre-season. Let's just hope it carries thru when the "what if's" start rolling our way.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I was doubtful about his coaching.  Nothing wrong with doubting a coach who had never coached in the NCAA.  And he still hasn't won anything.  Great Leader, yes.  Great Recruiter, Sure seems like it.  Great College Coach, Time will tell.  Looking good though.  Going back and saying Told ya so is stupid and childish.  Its perfectly fine to have doubts about something when the evidence doesn't point either way.  This year will be telling.  I am not sure how much we upgraded our shooting, but we did add some really solid pieces to an already solid team.  Our defense is elite, we just need to find ways to get the ball in the bucket a higher percent.  We do that and we're gonna have a great year.  We fail to do that, and you're going to have people question his ability to recruit and coach the right type of kids with this much talent.

I wasn't happy with the hire when it happened.  I was not happy with how some of the games were coached and his substitution pattern.  But I believe he is leading us in the right direction.  If we keep moving up and forward, i will support him fully.  If we don't do any better than Coach Crean or Coach Miller, well, I will criticize him the same i did those coaches, if it warrants it.  But Praise should be give when due also, and i will do that too

I'm with you - it was perfectly reasonable to be doubtful with the lack of information we had.

I think everyone was down on it at first for the most part, some came around quicker than others, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with needing to see more evidence IMO. 

• Like 2