HSN Fantasy Football

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Steub, if you dont mind, I'm going to go ahead and count you in.  Two of the 3 have decided not to play, and I'm almost certain that a 3rd will opt out as well.  So we're going to need at least 1 to even get to 10.  I'm still going to solicit others in an attempt to get to 12, but didnt want to take the spot from you that way.  

Sounds good 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Back again for the Zero RB draft strategy. Can't wait to dominate and lose in the Final 4 again. Good luck to all! Just got my first invite of the season from other leagues....you can smell it's almost time for training camp.

My draft position will dictate my strategy on RBs.  If the best player sitting there in round 1 or 2 is a RB, I'll go RB.  But, RB is one position that I won't reach for.  I'll overdraft a WR, QB, or even mid-level TE before I will a RB.   

Also, as far as our leagues go, we're still waiting to hear from 1 Champions League team and 1 HSN2 League team.  I would like to be able to get the invites out soon, but we're hesitating in case the Champions League team stays open.  If that happens, our structure is such that we would move someone from HSN2 and backfill.  

Edited by 5fouls

Now that all spots are filled, here is the breakdown of teams in each of the HSN Fantasy Football Leagues.  More details will be provided in other posts tonight.

Champions League:  @dgambill; @btownqb; @Seeking6; @5fouls; @NotIThatLives; @mrflynn03; @Parakeet Jones; @iuswingman; @ephul; @ATX_sig; @Indykev; @B_A

HSN2: @Sagamore; @PAHoosier; @rico; @BeerBQ; @KDB; @KoB2011; @trc; @5fouls; @Indykev; @Steubenhoosier; @Drroogh; @HoosierDPU95

• Like 2

We're still tweaking the rules, so for those that have accepted the Champions League invite, don't assume that what you see today will be the final version.  If you have not yet accepted the invite, I encourage you to go ahead and do so.  If you have not yet sent your email (via IM) to @Indykevthat way is the only way to get the formal invite emailed to you.  The sooner we can get everyone officially registered, the better.  The Draft date for the Champions League is Sunday, August 20th.  That is earlier than some of you may be used to, but it is a date that works well for Kev, the Commissioner, as his work schedule gets very busy once the students return to campus.

For those in the HSN2 league, if you have not yet given your email to @KDB, please do so via IM.  He should be getting those invites out by the end of the week.  Like the other League, the rules for HSN2 are still being tweaked, but we will let everyone know when they are final.  The rules for both leagues will be exactly the same.  The draft date for HSN2 has not officially be set, but we have historically done both on the same night, so unless there is a compelling reason to do it differently this year, you can assume it will also be August 20th unless you hear otherwise.  

Thanks for all the returnees that played last year.  It was a great season, and I'm hopeful this one will be as well.  When the rules are finalized, I will try to explain why we chose some of the rules you may not be familiar with from other leagues you've played in.  Otherwise, if you have any questions or concerns, just drop me, KDB, or Kev an IM.   

• Like 3

Champions League:  @dgambill; @btownqb; @Seeking6; @5fouls; @NotIThatLives; @mrflynn03; @Parakeet Jones; @iuswingman; @ephul; @ATX_sig; @Indykev; @B_A

HSN2: @Sagamore; @PAHoosier; @rico; @BeerBQ; @KDB; @KoB2011; @trc; @5fouls; @Indykev; @Steubenhoosier; @Drroogh; @HoosierDPU95

A friendly reminder to accept your FF League invitation.  That way we can confirm there is not a problem with your email. We have 4 Champions league members and 1 HSN2 league members that are still showing unregistered.  If you did not receive the invitation, please let Kev, KDB, and myself know.

Also, after you accept the invitation, if you have not already done so, please go into 'Settings' and change your Team name to match your screen name on HSN so that everyone knows who they are playing against,

I also wanted to let everyone know that we are considering piloting a new waiver approach in HSN2 this season.  In, HSN2, instead of having waiver claims be based on a rolling waiver priority as is in the past, for HSN2 waivers we are tossing around the idea of having a waiver 'budget' to use while making waiver claims. Basically, the way to would work is that every league member would be given a set budget of 'house' money (say $100) to use on waiver claims throughout the year. 

Now, envision a scenario in Week 3 where Derrick Henry goes down for the season.  His backup, rookie Tyjae Spears ascends to the #1 RB spot for the Titans.  Since the Titans QB and WR options are below average, the expectation is they will still be a run first offense with Spears in the backfield.  Assume that Spears is not currently on a roster and will certainly be claimed on waivers.  

In rolling priority approach, the waiver priority is based on the idea that whoever made the most recent waiver claim is priority #12, while the dude that has not made any claims yet is Priority #1.  Everyone else falls in between based on when they last made a waiver claim.  With the FAB (budget) approach, however, it's based on who has the money available, and how much money you are willing to spend.  

In this example, assume Henry was on my team and I desperately need his replacement.  Let's say the bids are @KDBat $25, @rico at $20, and @5fouls at $3.  KDB wins the bid and gets Spears.  Why would I only bid $3 in that scenario since I am the one who lost Henry?  Turns out I already blew $97 of my budget the prior week on a claim to replace my starting kicker.  Assuming this was the first waiver bid that KDB won this season, he has $75 left to last the rest of the year.  Rico gets his $20 back for his failed bid.  And, I still have that $3 to use for the rest of the season, and virtually no hope of getting a decent claim because I blew my budget on a kicker.

So, that's the general concept of how it would work, but we wanted to let those of you in HSN2 know in case you see it in the League settings and have questions.  The thought is we would Pilot in HSN2 this year, and depending on how it goes, possibly consider it for Champions League next season. Or, depending on feedback, we could revert HSN2 back to the old way next year.  Or, we could just keep then different going forward.  

While Champions League will keep the rolling priority in place this season, The waiver window has been reduced from 2 days to 1 day.  That will allow more players that are dropped by one team late in the week to be eligible for pickup by another team in time to play Sunday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I also wanted to let everyone know that we are considering piloting a new waiver approach in HSN2 this season.  In, HSN2, instead of having waiver claims be based on a rolling waiver priority as is in the past, for HSN2 waivers we are tossing around the idea of having a waiver 'budget' to use while making waiver claims. Basically, the way to would work is that every league member would be given a set budget of 'house' money (say $100) to use on waiver claims throughout the year. 

Now, envision a scenario in Week 3 where Derrick Henry goes down for the season.  His backup, rookie Tyjae Spears ascends to the #1 RB spot for the Titans.  Since the Titans QB and WR options are below average, the expectation is they will still be a run first offense with Spears in the backfield.  Assume that Spears is not currently on a roster and will certainly be claimed on waivers.  

In rolling priority approach, the waiver priority is based on the idea that whoever made the most recent waiver claim is priority #12, while the dude that has not made any claims yet is Priority #1.  Everyone else falls in between based on when they last made a waiver claim.  With the FAB (budget) approach, however, it's based on who has the money available, and how much money you are willing to spend.  

In this example, assume Henry was on my team and I desperately need his replacement.  Let's say the bids are @KDBat $25, @rico at $20, and @5fouls at $3.  KDB wins the bid and gets Spears.  Why would I only bid $3 in that scenario since I am the one who lost Henry?  Turns out I already blew $97 of my budget the prior week on a claim to replace my starting kicker.  Assuming this was the first waiver bid that KDB won this season, he has $75 left to last the rest of the year.  Rico gets his $20 back for his failed bid.  And, I still have that $3 to use for the rest of the season, and virtually no hope of getting a decent claim because I blew my budget on a kicker.

So, that's the general concept of how it would work, but we wanted to let those of you in HSN2 know in case you see it in the League settings and have questions.  The thought is we would Pilot in HSN2 this year, and depending on how it goes, possibly consider it for Champions League next season. Or, depending on feedback, we could revert HSN2 back to the old way next year.  Or, we could just keep then different going forward.  

While Champions League will keep the rolling priority in place this season, The waiver window has been reduced from 2 days to 1 day.  That will allow more players that are dropped by one team late in the week to be eligible for pickup by another team in time to play Sunday.

Please don't start making this stuff too complicated.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Please don't start making this stuff too complicated.

It is under consideration, which is why I posted it.  I heard arguments on both sides of the fence even before my post.  The challenge is finding the happy place for all parties involved,  If the group feels strongly they don't want this, it won't be put in.  But, we need to hear from everyone that has a preference one way or the other to make the correct decision.

Edited by 5fouls

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It is under consideration, which is why I posted it.  I heard arguments on both sides of the fence even before my post.  The challenge is finding the happy place for all parties involved,  If the group feels strongly they don't want this, it won't be put in.  But, we need to hear from everyone that has a preference one way or the other to make the correct decision.

I need another invite.  

• Like 1

One other thing regarding the rules that I wanted to post.  We increased the IR spots from 2 to 3.  This should help teams that are experiencing a rash of injuries deal with our shorter than normal bench (5 players). 

The background on the bench size is that I am a stickler for an even number of rounds in a snake draft.  If we had 6 players on the bench, that would equate to 15 rounds and give an advantage to those teams at the front of the snake, and they already have a built in advantage in that they get first shot at the top players in the first round.  

If we went to 16 rounds with 7 bench players, the waiver pool becomes very thin in a 12-team league.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I am personally not a fan of FAB unless the draft is also auction but will do whatever the group decides. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok I got into the league. I didn't go through the invite though, just logged into the app. Am I good?

I don't see you in there.  Maybe Kev has to approve it?  Or, maybe you joined last year's league.  Kev set up a brand new one for this year.

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am personally not a fan of FAB unless the draft is also auction but will do whatever the group decides. 

Thank you for providing feedback.  We've heard from Rico and KOB.  Anyone else that has an opinion either way, please speak up.