HSN Fantasy Football

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It's a tough one to balance for sure. We've tried in one of my leagues to figure it out but we've always come back to players draft guys and know the consequences of garbage time stuff.

Like this year. I'll use Nico Collins for example. #1 WR for Texans and right now ADP is about 170 range in most PPR leagues. They will likely be down in almost every one of their games but is he worth a 13th-14th round pick?? I sure think so. I think he's a perfect player for garbage time points especially in a PPR league.

What I mean is that there is just little consequence for qbs that throw lots of picks. There is no way a qb that throws multiple picks in a game should out score a running back that goes for 80 yds and td…but it happens all the time. Or you have one qb that throws 2 tds 0 picks and 280 yds…that guy played a good game and yet you have a guy throw 2tds 2 picks and 310 yds and gets the yardage bonus but played poorly for his team and he out scores the other qb. I guess I just feel the penalty for turning the ball over is not enough. It’s a significant play in the game and yet in fantasy it’s only 2pts and only 2 pts per pick no matter how many times you do it.

At least compound the penalty each turnover. That’s all I’m getting at. Take this for an example. A qb that throws 30tds and 20 ints (140 net points) is a better fantasy qb that throws 25 tds and only 10 ints (130 net pts). Yardage being equal. Same thing applies to a qb that throws 35tds and 20 ints. (170) vs a 30tds and only 10 ints. (160) it’s hard not to say the qb that value the ball twice as well and throws only a couple less tds a year is not the better player…but I get it..I know how the system works and I draft accordingly…just think the system could be better.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I mean is that there is just little consequence for qbs that throw lots of picks. There is no way a qb that throws multiple picks in a game should out score a running back that goes for 80 yds and td…but it happens all the time. Or you have one qb that throws 2 tds 0 picks and 280 yds…that guy played a good game and yet you have a guy throw 2tds 2 picks and 310 yds and gets the yardage bonus but played poorly for his team and he out scores the other qb. I guess I just feel the penalty for turning the ball over is not enough. It’s a significant play in the game and yet in fantasy it’s only 2pts and only 2 pts per pick no matter how many times you do it.

At least compound the penalty each turnover. That’s all I’m getting at. Take this for an example. A qb that throws 30tds and 20 ints (140 net points) is a better fantasy qb that throws 25 tds and only 10 ints (130 net pts). Yardage being equal. Same thing applies to a qb that throws 35tds and 20 ints. (170) vs a 30tds and only 10 ints. (160) it’s hard not to say the qb that value the ball twice as well and throws only a couple less tds a year is not the better player…but I get it..I know how the system works and I draft accordingly…just think the system could be better.

So, in turn, do you give the defense that is making those interceptions the same value?  Or, is the offensive player punished more than teh defense is rewarded for the exact same play?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, in turn, do you give the defense that is making those interceptions the same value?  Or, is the offensive player punished more than teh defense is rewarded for the exact same play?

Oh I think defenses are drastically undervalued by pts. A top 10 defense avg only 8-10 pts per game…if you want to level the game across all positions then they should also have their point values boosted.

Fantasy question of the day:

If you were stranded on a desert island with Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock, 1980's Christie Brinkley, and......wait, wrong Fantasy.

Fantasy FOOTBALL question of the day.

Is there on player that you absolutely refuse to draft, whether it be because he burned you in a past fantasy league, he kills your favorite team every time they play each other, or there is a character issue with him that you cannot forgive?

My Answer:  Russell Wilson.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me a 3rd time?  Well, I'm not going there ever again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you were stranded on a desert island with Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock, 1980's Christie Brinkley, and......wait, wrong Fantasy.

Is there on player that you absolutely refuse to draft, whether it be because he burned you in a past fantasy league, he kills your favorite team every time they play each other, or there is a character issue with him that you cannot forgive?

My Answer:  Russell Wilson.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me a 3rd time?  Well, I'm not going there ever again.

Easy-peasy…

If I still needed a quarterback and the only guy left was Watson, I’d play with no quarterback. Hell, I’d even go get Curtis Painter out of retirement before playing Watson

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sandra absolutely! She has a real sense of humor!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lamar Jackson.  Screwed me on fantasy one year, add to it his demands with the Ravens.  Come to think of it, it may be a Raven thing.  I don't much care for 'em.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Anyone say Allen Robinson lol..no honestly just about anyone that is on the wrong side of 30 or coming off 300+  rushing attempts in multiple seasons, or a wr that has a qb that was holding a clipboard in more games then they started last year…all signs you should likely avoid those guys.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone say Allen Robinson lol..no honestly just about anyone that is on the wrong side of 30 or coming off 300+  rushing attempts in multiple seasons, or a wr that has a qb that was holding a clipboard in more games then they started last year…all signs you should likely avoid those guys.

Good one.  I had totally purged ARob from my mind.  I got burned bad by him the year he imploded.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fantasy Football Question of the Day:

You have room on your bench for a backup QB or a backup TE, but not both.  Which one you got?

QB. After the top 4-5 TE's there's such a big drop off to me it's almost like rostering a backup kicker. If something happens to your TE go find one but I probably wouldn't carry a backup unless of course I decided to draft another tight end and use them as flex.

I did the latter a couple times last year on Fanduel to save $ and it can work. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

QB. After the top 4-5 TE's there's such a big drop off to me it's almost like rostering a backup kicker. If something happens to your TE go find one but I probably wouldn't carry a backup unless of course I decided to draft another tight end and use them as flex.

I did the latter a couple times last year on Fanduel to save $ and it can work. 

Depends on where you took each position. If you have Patrick Mahomes he will never sit your bench but if you have a middling TE you may want one to stream…same goes if you have Kelce…you aren’t benching him no matter the matchup so why take another? If there byes are later in the year I probably would take a backup for either no matter where I drafted them.

Edited by dgambill

I guess I should take a few minutes to look at rankings and stuff before draft tonight. Good luck to everyone this year! 

PS...small question. I'm cool with what the majority thinks but what type of conversation do we want on this board before waiver wire each week? Quiet before and we can talk after? I didn't want to restrict conversations (point of a message board is to talk) but I also don't want to be giving ideas or suggestions that could influence the wire. Just curious what people want. 

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I should take a few minutes to look at rankings and stuff before draft tonight. Good luck to everyone this year! 

PS...small question. I'm cool with what the majority thinks but what type of conversation do we want on this board before waiver wire each week? Quiet before and we can talk after? I didn't want to restrict conversations (point of a message board is to talk) but I also don't want to be giving ideas or suggestions that could influence the wire. Just curious what people want. 

I'm cool either way.  I like conversation, at the same time respect those that prefer things are quiet until after waivers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I'm cool either way.  I like conversation, at the same time respect those that prefer things are quiet until after waivers.

I think with the new waiver rules with only a day it should mean we can talk more freely because we aren’t having to wait so long to discuss potential moves with guys hurt etc.

@Parakeet Jones @mrflynn03 @btownqb @B_A @NotIThatLives @ephul; @ATX_sig @iuswingman @Indykev @dgambill @Seeking6

Okay.  Now that the draft is over. I would like to hear from you Champions Leaguers.  Doesn't have be tonight or tomorrow, but sometime this week it would be interesting to hear what you think.  

• What pick did you make is your favorite?
  • What pick did you make that you wish you had over?
  • Which one of your fellow drafters do you have a beef with because they snagged a guy you were about to take?

Here are my initial thoughts to get things going.

• My favorite pick?  Taking Mahomes in the 2nd round.  With the 7th pick, I wasn't going to get the top WRs, and was happy to see Kelce fall to me. Once that was done, I knew I was not only not getting a top WR, but wasn't getting one of the Top RBs either, so I said, what the heck, let's just pair them up and have super elite at both positions and ride high when the Chiefs are rolling.
  • My least favorite pick?  Samaji Perine in the 10th round.  I was in Cincy watching the Reds all weekend and did not realize Javonte Williams looked so good in the Broncos preseason game.  Never figured Perine would be the long-term starter in Denver, but thought he might get 3-4 weeks early in the season with a 50/50 split.   Doesn't sound like that will happen.  It may still turn out to be a good pick, but one probably best made a round or two later.  
  • I'm mad at:  @iuswingmanfor taking Da'Von Achane two picks in front of me in Round 14.  Though that could be a steal for me and I literally cursed you when it happened. Honorable mention to @B_A for taking Zach Charbonnet two spots in front of me in Round 11.  I really wanted him there.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@Parakeet Jones @mrflynn03 @btownqb @B_A @NotIThatLives @ephul; @ATX_sig @iuswingman @Indykev @dgambill @Seeking6

Okay.  Now that the draft is over. I would like to hear from you Champions Leaguers.  Doesn't have be tonight or tomorrow, but sometime this week it would be interesting to hear what you think.  

• What pick did you make is your favorite?
  • What pick did you make that you wish you had over?
  • Which one of your fellow drafters do you have a beef with because they snagged a guy you were about to take?

Here are my initial thoughts to get things going.

• My favorite pick?  Taking Mahomes in the 2nd round.  With the 7th pick, I wasn't going to get the top WRs, and was happy to see Kelce fall to me. Once that was done, I knew I was not only not getting a top WR, but wasn't getting one of the Top RBs either, so I said, what the heck, let's just pair them up and have super elite at both positions and ride high when the Chiefs are rolling.
  • My least favorite pick?  Samaji Perine in the 10th round.  I was in Cincy watching the Reds all weekend and did not realize Javonte Williams looked so good in the Broncos preseason game.  Never figured Perine would be the long-term starter in Denver, but thought he might get 3-4 weeks early in the season with a 50/50 split.   Doesn't sound like that will happen.  It may still turn out to be a good pick, but one probably best made a round or two later.  
  • I'm mad at:  @iuswingmanfor taking Da'Von Achane two picks in front of me in Round 14.  Though that could be a steal for me and I literally cursed you when it happened. Honorable mention to @B_A for taking Zach Charbonnet two spots in front of me in Round 11.  I really wanted him there.

Mixed bag for me. Draft went a little weird for a bit so I had to change things up. I tried to identify as many players as possible in the NFC South for garbage....but that usually isn't a good recipe.

Getting Hockenson was good because without Cook and Thielen you'd like to think he'll be getting the targets. I liked getting Rodgers on the revenge tour in the 7th or 8th. My favorite pick though is either Mitchell for when CMC goes down, Warren when Harris goes down or the Saints D who the first 6 weeks have the easiest schedule in football.

Overall I'm hoping for a C- grade from Yahoo which usually means I'm in good shape. Will have to dive into other teams later on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mixed bag for me. Draft went a little weird for a bit so I had to change things up. I tried to identify as many players as possible in the NFC South for garbage....but that usually isn't a good recipe.

Getting Hockenson was good because without Cook and Thielen you'd like to think he'll be getting the targets. I liked getting Rodgers on the revenge tour in the 7th or 8th. My favorite pick though is either Mitchell for when CMC goes down, Warren when Harris goes down or the Saints D who the first 6 weeks have the easiest schedule in football.

Overall I'm hoping for a C- grade from Yahoo which usually means I'm in good shape. Will have to dive into other teams later on.

My goal going in was to go RB/RB in the first 2 rounds.  But, I could not turn Kelce down at #7.  The computerized expert even told me #7 sucked, but I knew that anyway.  With that draft slot, I felt I was already chasing points, so grabbing Kelce and Mahomes seemed like a path that would help me start with a higher floor than anyone else each week (Except #10 when they are on bye).

Surprised to see you take Pollard first as you usually wait on RBs.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My goal going in was to go RB/RB in the first 2 rounds.  But, I could not turn Kelce down at #7.  The computerized expert even told me #7 sucked, but I knew that anyway.  With that draft slot, I felt I was already chasing points, so grabbing Kelce and Mahomes seemed like a path that would help me start with a higher floor than anyone else each week (Except #10 when they are on bye).

Surprised to see you take Pollard first as you usually wait on RBs.  

Pollard has been my pet project for years so I had to stabilize the RB position. Normally I wouldn't but thought I could find 300+ receptions in the following 3 picks. When I entered the draft I was praying 5th or 6th so I could get Kelce and my entire draft would have gone different. 

Would have been something like Kelce, best WR, best WR, Herbert, Allen, and load up with combination of White/Akers/Conner/Mattison in 6th and beyond. Always nice to get the first draft out of the way so you see where things are going. Only 5 more to go!

• Like 1