Purdue Postgame Thread

11 hours ago, Riverrat said:

I'm just pointing out how many people spin things to fit what ever agenda they have on here. We hang with duke and we are great, we hang with Purdue and they are overrated. 

People on here constantly bash pork chop and he has earned it but don't deny that he made adjustments that helped win the game for them. Maybe when Archie has his players it will be different but as a roster iu has higher rated talent out of high school than this Purdue team does. Pretty sure htd had a huge post about it earlier this year.

I don't think Purdue will make a run in the tourney but to say Purdue is overrated right now is crazy. They have lost 2 games, shoot the three really well and have one big man that is a force.

Hopefully brighter days are ahead for iu but pork chop Jas won like 6 of the last 8 against us or something crazy like that.

I hope Archie works out but there are a ton of red flags in my head to go with a few bright spots.

Do I respond ? Or cut my losses at -25 IQ points having read this?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

True but that wasn’t necessary yet. McSwain actually challenged Haas when he wasn’t fouling him. He was probably the best option to be guarding him down the stretch. Strength seemed to trump height against him today 

The problem with Moore is that he likely would've given up the basket plus the foul for and 1's. He's just not strong enough to battle someone like Haas and he is really not even a post player. If only McSwain was about 4" taller, lol. I was impressed with how he battled and challenged Haas. Haas was clearly frustrated with Freddie at several points in the game... probably not used to ramming into someone and not knocking them completely out of the way for an easy score. 

I always tend to avoid boards after most rivalry games. Win or lose. What I saw was an excellent game plan By Coach,  executed at about 85% for IU, against a veteran top 5 team with match up/experience problems for IU everywhere. Honestly watch how teams play/guard Purdue moving forward. Let them feed Haas, make him earn it...but not let Purdue beat you from 3. 

Morgan (and others) exposed lack of quickness in paint by Purdue. We wouldn't have been down 1 with 3 to go with RoJo's really good play....only thing is his and Newkirk's turnoverovers came in same stretch. 

Tip of the cap to McSwain. Gave us really solid minutes, points...to me his best IU game so far.  McRoberts did what he does. Made 6-7 great hustle plays to keep the ball in our hands. I'd hate to watch film with him. Coach is probably saying look at that, look at this....asking other players why they didn't do/see that.

I did have to laugh went Porkchop used his 11 seconds of national tv exposure to complain about Haas getting pushed. Let's see. Haas is 7'2 and 275? If he's getting pushed by IU guys who gave up at least 6 inches and 50 lbs.... I guess he's softer than he looked. 

I'll echo what some others have said. Purdue is a very good team no doubt. Against a quick team with shooters they could be sent packing in tourney. Given Painter's history. It's more likely than not.

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

HTD uses "Smellermakers". I and several others regularly use toilet makers. :D

...and I'll agree...if they are final four material, the NCAA is as poor as I remember, but honestly, I felt that way before today.  Yesterday, Duke & North Carolina both lost at home. Kensucky is way down and I can't for the life of me think of a dominant team.  I guess the Smellermakers/Toiletmakers are as good as anyone this crappy season.

One visit to PU and u can see why the cows er girls are called toilet breakers.

1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

The problem with Moore is that he likely would've given up the basket plus the foul for and 1's. He's just not strong enough to battle someone like Haas and he is really not even a post player. If only McSwain was about 4" taller, lol. I was impressed with how he battled and challenged Haas. Haas was clearly frustrated with Freddie at several points in the game... probably not used to ramming into someone and not knocking them completely out of the way for an easy score. 

Agree with this.

Where I see that Moore could have helped was when Haarms was in the game. No where near the physical presence as Haas. Haarms runs well for a 7 footer, and I think Moore could have kept up with him, at least for a few minutes. Would have given Juwan and Freddie a bit more time to rest and just as importantly, less time to pick up fouls.

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

IU had the better gameplan. Purdue shot like crap because IU played good defense on the perimeter. 

Purdue just had more talent and depth. 

I just watched the game and won’t agree that Purdue shot like crap because IU played good defense on the perimeter. I counted 10 or 11 open 3’s that Purdue missed. The same shots they made the last 3 of 4 games. Vince and Mathias missed several they normally make. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I just watched the game and won’t agree that Purdue shot like crap because IU played good defense on the perimeter. I counted 10 or 11 open 3’s that Purdue missed. The same shots they made the last 3 of 4 games. Vince and Mathias missed several they normally make. 

Vince is really the only guy you can even argue had a terrible shooting night and I really don't recall him getting a lot of open looks.  Either way, he shoots in the low 30s for his career from three on Sunday.  Maybe Vince has a boozing problem and is usually hung over still for the earlier games on Sundays as opposed to week nights? 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Vince is really the only guy you can even argue had a terrible shooting night and I really don't recall him getting a lot of open looks.  Either way, he shoots in the low 30s for his career from three on Sunday.  Maybe Vince has a boozing problem and is usually hung over still for the earlier games on Sundays as opposed to week nights? 

They somehow chose not to count the one he actually did make because of that foul. That 3 should’ve counted. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They somehow chose not to count the one he actually did make because of that foul. That 3 should’ve counted. 

It was really close.  The ball was without question still in his hand when Freddie actually committed the foul, but the delay in blowing the whistle and putting his hand up resulted in the shot going up.  

If you're going to point out the poor officiating I'd love to hear your thoughts on Morgan's offensive foul or the foul they called him for when Edwards drove, right after Edwards had more contact on a non-call with RoJo on the other end?  You know, those two fouls that made it so Haas was unguardable down the stretch and handed PU the game.... 

We crumbled in the last few minutes, and there were key mistakes in crunch time. Overall, I thought we played very bravely and hard against a very good team. Morgan was Morgan; we go as he goes. RoJo was superb; he played good defense, carried scoring load with Morgan, and bailed us out more than a couple of times making TOUGH shots, otherwise, we wouldn't have been in the game until the last few minutes. 

It's bittersweet; we fought hard but lost. At least, we didn't get embarrassed on a national TV. I'll leave it at that. 

We haven't talked about it much, but the offensive foul on Morgan mid-way through the second half was atrocious.  He did less than what Haas does every single possession posting up, and that foul was obviously HUGE down the stretch.  We had, IIRC, three offensive fouls called on us.  All of them were at best questionable, but Haas threw guys to the ground to get position on more than one occasion and never got called for it.  I know that he got mugged a few times too without calls, but I just cannot understand the difference in how they called it on one end versus the other. 

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mentioned it before the game, but Crean kept it close against Painter under similar circumstances. When the script was flipped, however, we obliterated Purdue. 

I remember Sampson's first year, the teams were pretty evenly matched and we beat them by 27 at home. We dropped a much closer game on the road.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It was really close.  The ball was without question still in his hand when Freddie actually committed the foul, but the delay in blowing the whistle and putting his hand up resulted in the shot going up.  

If you're going to point out the poor officiating I'd love to hear your thoughts on Morgan's offensive foul or the foul they called him for when Edwards drove, right after Edwards had more contact on a non-call with RoJo on the other end?  You know, those two fouls that made it so Haas was unguardable down the stretch and handed PU the game.... 

Yeah I don’t think it was a good call. Officials had a somewhat rough game imo. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yeah I don’t think it was a good call. Officials had a somewhat rough game imo. 

I thought they did too.  Part of that was because of how physical it was, but they definitely missed a lot of calls both ways.  I can't believe a couple of the fouls McSwain got away with. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I thought they did too.  Part of that was because of how physical it was, but they definitely missed a lot of calls both ways.  I can't believe a couple of the fouls McSwain got away with. 

Feels like it can be both extremes. They’ll let them play and mug each other and then call tiny touch fouls. Lack of consistency is maddening sometimes. 

49 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We haven't talked about it much, but the offensive foul on Morgan mid-way through the second half was atrocious.  He did less than what Haas does every single possession posting up, and that foul was obviously HUGE down the stretch.  We had, IIRC, three offensive fouls called on us.  All of them were at best questionable, but Haas threw guys to the ground to get position on more than one occasion and never got called for it.  I know that he got mugged a few times too without calls, but I just cannot understand the difference in how they called it on one end versus the other. 

I thought one miss foul on Haas was when he was setting a screen on top for Mathias and he pretty much just tackled McRoberts tot he ground.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I thought the officiating in the first half was fairly good, but felt IU got hosed for the most part the last 10 minutes of the game. The offensive foul on Morgan and the one on RoJo were absolutely horrendous calls. Haas was setting illegal screens all game long, especially in the 2nd half and I don't think he got called for any of them. I also thought the foul on Morgan on Purdue's first possession of the 2nd half (after Purdue complained about the no-call on their final shot in the 1st half) was terrible, and they also called a phantom call on Freddie down the stretch on a post pass into Hass. 

With all that said, IU of course had chances to win the game and committed several costly mistakes, as well as not hitting free throws. I think RoJo missed 3 free throws in the 1st half and missed the front end of a 1-and-1 in the second, and some other guys had key misses as well. 

I hate to play the "moral victory" game, but for I do get some satisfaction out of seeing what Archie is doing, and believing that when we have more size, length and athleticism he has a chance to really get this program rolling. A lot will come down to some recruiting breaks though (Langford, TJD, etc.)

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I thought the officiating in the first half was fairly good, but felt IU got hosed for the most part the last 10 minutes of the game. The offensive foul on Morgan and the one on RoJo were absolutely horrendous calls. Haas was setting illegal screens all game long, especially in the 2nd half and I don't think he got called for any of them. I also thought the foul on Morgan on Purdue's first possession of the 2nd half (after Purdue complained about the no-call on their final shot in the 1st half) was terrible, and they also called a phantom call on Freddie down the stretch on a post pass into Hass. 

With all that said, IU of course had chances to win the game and committed several costly mistakes, as well as not hitting free throws. I think RoJo missed 3 free throws in the 1st half and missed the front end of a 1-and-1 in the second, and some other guys had key misses as well. 

I hate to play the "moral victory" game, but for I do get some satisfaction out of seeing what Archie is doing, and believing that when we have more size, length and athleticism he has a chance to really get this program rolling. A lot will come down to some recruiting breaks though (Langford, TJD, etc.)

I agree, I feel so good about Archie it isn't funny.  Just think what he could be doing with THIS team if we just had a consistent point guard.  When he gets his first complete roster at IU (next year or two years most likely) I think it will be so fun watching what he can do with it. Not to compare Archie to Sean, but I get the feeling he has a better knowledge of the game than Sean.  He really can adapt to what is being thrown at him and gameplan at a really high level.  

We've played two top five teams that had huge size and talent advantages and hung in with them for 36+ minutes both times.  That is 100% credit to Archie and the staff.  

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree, I feel so good about Archie it isn't funny.  Just think what he could be doing with THIS team if we just had a consistent point guard.  When he gets his first complete roster at IU (next year or two years most likely) I think it will be so fun watching what he can do with it. Not to compare Archie to Sean, but I get the feeling he has a better knowledge of the game than Sean.  He really can adapt to what is being thrown at him and gameplan at a really high level.  

We've played two top five teams that had huge size and talent advantages and hung in with them for 36+ minutes both times.  That is 100% credit to Archie and the staff.  

Completely agree. I'm sold on his coaching to this point (game planning, substitutions, drawing up plays on the fly, etc.), my only real question is to what level will he be able to recruit? You'd think he'd be a killer on the recruiting trail (former player, coaches son, has basically lived his entire life in the gym) but that remains to be seen. I've posted this before, but I really hope we land Langford, almost mostly just for Archie to really get that momentum going and get this thing rolling and not to have to deal with the fanbase headaches if this takes an extra year. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. I'm sold on his coaching to this point (game planning, substitutions, drawing up plays on the fly, etc.), my only real question is to what level will he be able to recruit? You'd think he'd be a killer on the recruiting trail (former player, coaches son, has basically lived his entire life in the gym) but that remains to be seen. I've posted this before, but I really hope we land Langford, almost mostly just for Archie to really get that momentum going and get this thing rolling and not to have to deal with the fanbase headaches if this takes an extra year. 

Yeah I agree. It seem unfathomable we won't have an awesome 2019 class at this point (TJD and Brooks seem like ours to lose at this point) but Romeo would put his first class to that elite level. 

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can you imagine a guy like Tom Pritchard, who was called for illegal screens so frequently and often erroneously watching this game and seeing what Haas got away yesterday? I think Purdue wasn't used to an opponent fighting through screens as well as IU did in the first half yesterday which contributed to the more egregious illegal screening in the second half. IMO, it is going to hurt Haas and Purdue when they get in to the NCAA tournament and they don't get the benefit of those types of no calls. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Feels like it can be both extremes. They’ll let them play and mug each other and then call tiny touch fouls. Lack of consistency is maddening sometimes. 

The hard part is that Haas is so big that it doesn't take much banging for him to put someone on the ground.  Do you call him for that because he is 90lbs bigger than a guy or let it play out since it wasn't overtly on purpose.  And i think they let McSwain get away with some for the same reason.  He was a foot smaller and 50lbs lighter and they let him get very phsical.

I personally thought it was an ok called game.  i would expect more calls to have gone our way at home which they didn't really do.  The refs missed alot of calls and called some that were ticky tack.

Every team sets illegal screens.  Purdue included.  Sometimes refs call them, sometimes they don't.  Even we set moving screen more than is called.  

We lost the game because we couldn't finish and shoot free throws.  Not because illegal screens were not called.  We played them tough for 35 minutes and came up short.  With no big time 3 point shooter and no one able to shoot above 60% at the free throw, we won't be able to win close games.

Just now, hoosiertildeath said:

Considering the facts that 6'10" Deron Davis and 6'8" Collin HArtman did NOT PLAY FOR IU and that Haas committed SIX FOULS , but was only called for TWO , IU played one hell of a tough game !! I am PROUD of MY INDIANA HOOSIERS

Colin Hartman should give up basketball.  He hasn't showed anything other than the ability to get hurt.  Unfortunately he has been a disappointment this year due to injury and lack of contribution.  Great kid though.  And Davis would have fouled out in the first half trying to guard Haas.  We actually did pretty well with Morgan and McSwain. 

We need to stop making excuses for out losses.  We are a team getting better defensively game after game but we just are not talented enough on the offensive side (Morgan and RoJo excluded) to win consistently.  

But, i can see improvement in the team in terms of less turnovers and better defensively against all caliber or talented teams. 

Archived