High School Hoops

rico

Scottsburg absolutely destroyed Silver Creek tonight in the sectional semi-final (postponed last night due to weather) by a score I believe was 80-48. I bring it here, not because my kids school lost, but because Scottsburg put on possibly the best shooting exhibition i have ever seen in a high school game.  I don't know the final shooting percentages, but they had to have made between 18-20 3's, and they made them at a very high clip.

The game was also notable because only 3 total fouls were called in the 2nd half.  I remember looking up at the scoreboard when the bench players came in for both teams with about 3 minutes left and seeing a 1 and a 2 under team fouls on the scoreboard.  Not even sure which team had 2 and which had 1, but I don't think I've ever seen that before.  

I am really rooting for Scottsburg to continue advancing, because I think they have the best chance to take out North Daviess in the South for 3A.  The whole 'playing up' a class that North Daviess pulled to avoid Linton and Brownstown in 2A leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  High School sports should not be like that.  

• Like 3

Brownstown takes down defending 2A state champ Providence 44-42.

Braves play SW Hanover.. who is also the host, on Monday. 

Winner gets Forest Park. Strictly speaking by the sagarin.. Brownstown is a heavy favorite to win both.

If the favorites advance... it looks like the 2A South Semi state would be at Southport. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Brownstown takes down defending 2A state champ Providence 44-42.

Braves play SW Hanover.. who is also the host, on Monday. 

Winner gets Forest Park. Strictly speaking by the sagarin.. Brownstown is a heavy favorite to win both.

If the favorites advance... it looks like the 2A South Semi state would be at Southport. 

No chance 2a would go to Washington? 

Just now, JW75 said:

No chance 2a would go to Washington? 

I won't be happy if so because that's pretty close to Linton when we could also play it at Seymour... and dear god we'd have an army there. 

Feel like Southport is a really safe bet. Especially if Northeastern wins. 

Figuring out who should go to Washington is a challenge though. I'm betting 3A. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I won't be happy if so because that's pretty close to Linton when we could also play it at Seymour... and dear god we'd have an army there. 

Feel like Southport is a really safe bet. Especially if Northeastern wins. 

Figuring out who should go to Washington is a challenge though. I'm betting 3A. 

I wasn’t sure they would allow North Daviess to play sectional, regional & semi state at Washington…. Plus I would drive a little ways to watch a Linton/BC game… 🤷🏽‍♂️🤣

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Scottsburg absolutely destroyed Silver Creek tonight in the sectional semi-final (postponed last night due to weather) by a score I believe was 80-48. I bring it here, not because my kids school lost, but because Scottsburg put on possibly the best shooting exhibition i have ever seen in a high school game.  I don't know the final shooting percentages, but they had to have made between 18-20 3's, and they made them at a very high clip.

The game was also notable because only 3 total fouls were called in the 2nd half.  I remember looking up at the scoreboard when the bench players came in for both teams with about 3 minutes left and seeing a 1 and a 2 under team fouls on the scoreboard.  Not even sure which team had 2 and which had 1, but I don't think I've ever seen that before.  

I am really rooting for Scottsburg to continue advancing, because I think they have the best chance to take out North Daviess in the South for 3A.  The whole 'playing up' a class that North Daviess pulled to avoid Linton and Brownstown in 2A leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  High School sports should not be like that.  

Scottsburg is a load man. They beat Madison 68-34(IIRC) in the first sectional game Wednesday, finishing 11-22 from deep. Their core group of juniors should have them in contention for the next year as well. They take good shots and move the ball well. Defensively they’re not great, but they’re solid. If they used their big man, Zellers a little bit better, they could be even better. I couldn’t tell you how many times he caught it in the paint both times he played Madison, only to kick it out to the perimeter.

• Like 1

Just now, Danomatic said:

Scottsburg is a load man. They beat Madison 68-34(IIRC) in the first sectional game Wednesday, finishing 11-22 from deep. Their core group of juniors should have them in contention for the next year as well. They take good shots and move the ball well. Defensively they’re not great, but they’re solid. If they used their big man, Zellers a little bit better, they could be even better. I couldn’t tell you how many times he caught it in the paint both times he played Madison, only to kick it out to the perimeter.

He isn't a post player. Grew up a guard and is a tad weak/needs the weight room. He struggled to score inside against stronger players. 

But very skilled and can shoot it. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

For those of us not familiar....can you give us the guts of what playing up a class meant in this particular situation? Did ND have some enrollment or another little loophole that allowed them to avoid competition?

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For those of us not familiar....can you give us the guts of what playing up a class meant in this particular situation? Did ND have some enrollment or another little loophole that allowed them to avoid competition?

They were pushed up for success factor... it was pretty widely known BC was going to drop to 2A... and would be very good...

Meaning, at least through the regional... 3A in the South was an easier path than 2A in the South. They chose 3A. 

Regardless of feelings... they are a 1A enrollment, they would undoubtedly be the best team in 1A (as they were last year)... they would be a Top 5 team in 2A.... 

And are a top 10 team in 3A. 

It does appear they dodged BC and Linton, purposely though. All of the above can be true. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He isn't a post player. Grew up a guard and is a tad weak/needs the weight room. He struggled to score inside against stronger players. 

But very skilled and can shoot it. 

True, he has nice touch and have had him play on one my teams a couple times when they were younger. I was just hopeful that someone would develop his post game once he started to really shoot up.

7 hours ago, Danomatic said:

True, he has nice touch and have had him play on one my teams a couple times when they were younger. I was just hopeful that someone would develop his post game once he started to really shoot up.

That isn't beneficial for him though, boss. He's a stretch 4 in college and wont play much in the paint there either. 

I'm not saying he cant get better scoring down low. Just saying.. its really not in his repertoire. Big thing is putting on weight/muscle in the off season! Scottsburg brings A LOT back. 

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Loogootee beats Orleans.  

I know when Loogootee wins anything in any sport because the fire department cruises Broadway doing a siren system check. Probably the only time they get to use the truck. 

They look to have an easy regional matchup. 

@JW75 1A might go to Washington. I really don't know how they'll set that up. 

4A is probably getting sent to New Castle. Ben Davis, Jenn Co, Bloom N, and Brownsburg. 

3A to Seymour 

Scottsburg, ND, plus 2 more Indy schools. 

1A to Washington

Loogootee, Bloomfield, Berthesda Christian, and Borden

The teams I have advancing are just guesses based on who's rated the highest. 

• Like 2

Meanwhile, up north…

In 4A Ft Wayne Wayne HS wins its first sectional in 29 years by beating Homestead.

FW Northside beats Northrop to win in 3A

In 3A 3rd ranked Norwell is upset by Peru.

In 2A Blackhawk Christian, coached by former Hoosier Matt Roth, wins its 6th straight sectional.

In 1A Southport beats Canterbury to advance 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

They were pushed up for success factor... it was pretty widely known BC was going to drop to 2A... and would be very good...

Meaning, at least through the regional... 3A in the South was an easier path than 2A in the South. They chose 3A. 

Regardless of feelings... they are a 1A enrollment, they would undoubtedly be the best team in 1A (as they were last year)... they would be a Top 5 team in 2A.... 

And are a top 10 team in 3A. 

It does appear they dodged BC and Linton, purposely though. All of the above can be true. 

Ok so it's the same thing or similar to the success or playing up they use in football? From an outsider perspective can't fault a team choosing an easier path that benefits them. Sounds like IHSAA needs to either close that loophole or people will just have to accept it.

Edited by Seeking6