High School Hoops

rico

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Fishers beats the crap out of Kokomo...in a very pro Kokomo crowd. 8500+ is just pretty darn cool. 

What's interesting is Ev. Bosse has a transfer from Kokomo and is doing really well. He was instrumental in the win for Bosse in the regional game against Southridge yesterday. Can't remember his name but he's like 6' 7"??

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Nobody cares but

Ipswich Tractor Boys(almost as good as Boilermakers) were up 1-0 in the 94’ and gave up 2 😢

Championship ⬆️ Premier League is hundreds of millions….loss dropped them out of auto promotion 

Soccer & college basketball have incredibly passionate fans 

I think your announcer said “gotta feel good to be an EEL” 

He is a great guy lol and I’m very appreciative they livestream when I can’t watch, that’s for sure

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Scottsburg gets to go to Seymour again... 

Only a 36 min drive for me on Saturday, probably grab breakfast somewhere on the way and get there around 945. Thats what I did for the girls semi-state in Shelbyville, which is basically the same drive as Southport is from my house. 

I like that we played at Southport last year. 

First off, congrats to @btownqb for his alma-mater Braves making it to the 2A State Championship game.

And, congrats to Mid-Southern Conference foe Scottsburg for making it to the 3A Championship.

Finally, congrats to the Jeffersonville Red Devils, for a great season that fell 1 point short in the 4A South Semi-State Championship.  

The Fouls family is visiting my wife's parents in the South bend area this weekend, and my son's birthday is this weekend as well.  His birthday wish was to watch some semi-state basketball, but since we were not home to watch one of the locals, we went to Elkhart for the 4A North Semi-State instead.

Morning session featured Fishers beating Crown Point.  Fishers led comfortably most of the way, but Crown Point did cut it to 5 with couple of minutes left before Fishers pulled away again at the end.

The second morning game was Mishawaka vs. Fort Wayne Wayne.  One of the strangest games I've ever seen.  Mishawaka controlled the first half and led by 9 at the break.  Wayne proceeded to open the 2nd half on a 20-0 run and cruised from there.

The Championship game featured a fantastic 1st half that ended in a 36-36 tie.  In a reversal of the morning session, Wayne was on the short end of a big run coming out of the half as Fishers scored the first 10 points of the 3rd quarter.  Wayne threatened to get back in it a couple of times, bit never could get over the hump. and Fishers ultimately won by 8.   Some ref had to make it about him by assessing a technical on Fishers with 0.3 seconds on the clock.  The Wayne players had already walked off the court.  I'm not sure what the ;T' was for, unless it was the Fishers bench stepping onto the court to celebrate before the buzzer sounded.

Players of note we saw:

• Dikembe Shaw - Sophomore wing for Crown Point.  Extremely athletic with raw skills that could become something if developed.  
  • Jevon Lewis - Senior point guard for Wayne.  Small, but one of the quickest players I've ever seen.  Took some bad shots, but wreaked havoc, and dominated at times defensively, especially in the morning session.
  • Chase Barnes - Junior wing for Wayne.  My favorite player of the day.   Smart, good handles, super-sweet mid range pull-up game.  Scored over 20 points both games, but did miss some crucial free throws in 4th quarter of Championship,  I really, really, liked this kid's game and hope he gets a chance to play D1 somewhere.  
  • Cooper Zachary -  Freshmen PG for Fishers.  Did not have big stats in either game, but starting at PG for the best team in the state speaks volumes.  Watching the kid dribble and shoot in warmups was eye-popping.  Probably on 5'9 or 5'10 at most, so probably needs to grow 3-4 more inches to reach full potential.
  • Jason Gardner Jr.  - Freshmen guard for Fishers and son of former Mr. Basketball.  Came off bench, but showed flashes driving to the basket.  Needs to improve his shot to approach the success of his dad, but I expect that will come with time.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

First off, congrats to @btownqb for his alma-mater Braves making it to the 2A State Championship game.

And, congrats to Mid-Southern Conference foe Scottsburg for making it to the 3A Championship.

Finally, congrats to the Jeffersonville Red Devils, for a great season that fell 1 point short in the 4A South Semi-State Championship.  

The Fouls family is visiting my wife's parents in the South bend area this weekend, and my son's birthday is this weekend as well.  His birthday wish was to watch some semi-state basketball, but since we were not home to watch one of the locals, we went to Elkhart for the 4A North Semi-State instead.

Morning session featured Fishers beating Crown Point.  Fishers led comfortably most of the way, but Crown Point did cut it to 5 with couple of minutes left before Fishers pulled away again at the end.

The second morning game was Mishawaka vs. Fort Wayne Wayne.  One of the strangest games I've ever seen.  Mishawaka controlled the first half and led by 9 at the break.  Wayne proceeded to open the 2nd half on a 20-0 run and cruised from there.

The Championship game featured a fantastic 1st half that ended in a 36-36 tie.  In a reversal of the morning session, Wayne was on the short end of a big run coming out of the half as Fishers scored the first 10 points of the 3rd quarter.  Wayne threatened to get back in it a couple of times, bit never could get over the hump. and Fishers ultimately won by 8.   Some ref had to make it about him by assessing a technical on Fishers with 0.3 seconds on the clock.  The Wayne players had already walked off the court.  I'm not sure what the ;T' was for, unless it was the Fishers bench stepping onto the court to celebrate before the buzzer sounded.

Players of note we saw:

• Dikembe Shaw - Sophomore wing for Crown Point.  Extremely athletic with raw skills that could become something if developed.  
  • Jevon Lewis - Senior point guard for Wayne.  Small, but one of the quickest players I've ever seen.  Took some bad shots, but wreaked havoc, and dominated at times defensively, especially in the morning session.
  • Chase Barnes - Junior wing for Wayne.  My favorite player of the day.   Smart, good handles, super-sweet mid range pull-up game.  Scored over 20 points both games, but did miss some crucial free throws in 4th quarter of Championship,  I really, really, liked this kid's game and hope he gets a chance to play D1 somewhere.  
  • Cooper Zachary -  Freshmen PG for Fishers.  Did not have big stats in either game, but starting at PG for the best team in the state speaks volumes.  Watching the kid dribble and shoot in warmups was eye-popping.  Probably on 5'9 or 5'10 at most, so probably needs to grow 3-4 more inches to reach full potential.
  • Jason Gardner Jr.  - Freshmen guard for Fishers and son of former Mr. Basketball.  Came off bench, but showed flashes driving to the basket.  Needs to improve his shot to approach the success of his dad, but I expect that will come with time.   

Jason’s dad showed us the door back in the late 90’s. We were a very good team, but he was by far the best player on the floor. We went to the Seymour semi state, and watched Scottsburg get revenge on GC. Scottsburg did not sub one time… all five starters played every minute of the game. I’ve never seen that, but know that they only played six deep all year long. They’ll lose almost everything next season, but they’re making the most of it. I’d say BC and Scottsburg have a strong chance to win it in their respective classes. What a fantastic run by Jeff! They will be very, very good next season. I heard that the Washington kid might very well look to join Sherron and the Red Devils next season. That could be scary for the HHC!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Jason’s dad showed us the door back in the late 90’s. We were a very good team, but he was by far the best player on the floor. We went to the Seymour semi state, and watched Scottsburg get revenge on GC. Scottsburg did not sub one time… all five starters played every minute of the game. I’ve never seen that, but know that they only played six deep all year long. They’ll lose almost everything next season, but they’re making the most of it. I’d say BC and Scottsburg have a strong chance to win it in their respective classes. What a fantastic run by Jeff! They will be very, very good next season. I heard that the Washington kid might very well look to join Sherron and the Red Devils next season. That could be scary for the HHC!

I was so impressed with Sherron at Madison, I knew he'd kill it at Jeff. 

He's pretty hard-core, reminds me of my HS football coach, but my god, I'd through a wall for Sherron if he were my coach. 

But that wouldn't just be scary for the HHC, that would put the whole state on notice. 

No matter who you are, having to beat Lawrence North and Ben Davis in the same day is a TALL task, Jeff came within 1.5 mins from doing just that with a bunch of JRs. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

•    

Family bloodlines. For those that remember what Anderson used to be back late 80's and early 90's...you'll remember Randy Zachary. Pretty sure Cooper is his nephew. Long history of great hoops players in that family.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was so impressed with Sherron at Madison, I knew he'd kill it at Jeff. 

He's pretty hard-core, reminds me of my HS football coach, but my god, I'd through a wall for Sherron if he were my coach. 

But that wouldn't just be scary for the HHC, that would put the whole state on notice. 

No matter who you are, having to beat Lawrence North and Ben Davis in the same day is a TALL task, Jeff came within 1.5 mins from doing just that with a bunch of JRs. 

Used to hang with Sherron at IU during his time....saw all the ups and downs but couldn't be more happier for him as a person and a Coach. With what they have coming back they should have state aspirations next year.

My Braves have been banged up all year... 

Benter has dealt with a calf strain, broken bone in foot, and had 103 degree temp yesterday to work through. He missed the Attucks, LN, Ev Christian games.. and was NOT 100% against Jenn Co. 

Colby Hall has been out for 3 weeks with an ankle sprain, he played big mins yesterday... be missed the Providence, SW Hanover, and Sullivan games. 

Micah Sheffer was out a month with a broken vertebrae. 

Now... we get 2 weeks to get right before Wapahani. 

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My Braves have been banged up all year... 

Benter has dealt with a calf strain, broken bone in foot, and had 103 degree temp yesterday to work through. He missed the Attucks, LN, Ev Christian games.. and was NOT 100% against Jenn Co. 

Colby Hall has been out for 3 weeks with an ankle sprain, he played big mins yesterday... be missed the Providence, SW Hanover, and Sullivan games. 

Micah Sheffer was out a month with a broken vertebrae. 

Now... we get 2 weeks to get right before Wapahani. 

I like their chances. They’ve had a great run with this group.

• Like 1

We’re going to be looking for a new head coach in Madison. The juniors, or seniors to be next year is a big class of 6. At one point there were 14 in that class, but some transfers and natural attrition ran its course. Watching the Cubs not being able to get over the hump this season is a big part of why things didn’t work out. They lost 12 games by 8 or less, 9 games by 6 or less and actually had the lead in 8 of the 12 games with under 5 minutes left in each of the 8 respective games. Lots of tension at Madison, and some with unrealistic expectations. It’s clearly not what is used to be, and is no longer viewed as a great job…. hasn’t been in some time. But, they have a decent six man senior class coming in that should make them a tough group. 

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Sadly, no teams from the southwest part of the state will be moving on as all 3, Ev. Bosse, Forest Park and Ev. Christian all lost. Ev. Christian school will really miss their super-stud Josiah Dunham next year. He scored 33 of their 44 points yesterday....

Best player in 1A 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

🤣

The availability of 'good' high school statistics was better in the 1970's than it is today.  The daily newspapers would publish lists of both local and state-wide scoring leaders.

Today, I'm not even sure if 30% of schools report to MaxPreps.

It's ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The availability of 'good' high school statistics was better in the 1970's than it is today.  The daily newspapers would publish lists of both local and state-wide scoring leaders.

Today, I'm not even sure if 30% of schools report to MaxPreps.

It's ridiculous.

She's throwing direct shade at BC and Benter. 

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

She's throwing direct shade at BC and Benter. 

Will be interesting to know if she bothers attending the State Championship games.  If she's hat concerned about it, seeing a player live is better than relying on stats anyway.

That said, I stand by my comment about stats being available.  If a school doesnt want to send to MaxPreps, fine.  But, the IHSAA should have a process in place to gather stats and provide them to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

@IU Scott respectfully, I thought going in that should be the outcome if we played well at all.... which we did. 

Benter is a mismatch nightmare in HS, especially at the 2A level. 

Coomer hits 3s against Park Tudor, like he did today, that games outcome looks different. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

@IU Scott respectfully, I thought going in that should be the outcome if we played well at all.... which we did. 

Benter is a mismatch nightmare in HS, especially at the 2A level. 

Coomer hits 3s against Park Tudor, like he did today, that games outcome looks different. 

Think Benter plays next year or redshirts?

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have no idea.  But as a HS SR, comparatively, I think he's better than any kid you have on your roster. Yes, thats including Braden Smith. 

Damn that’s some high praise man I’m glad to hear it!

I think he’s definitely good enough to play just a logjam of guys in front of him so we’ll see what happens. I fully expected Ryan Cline to redshirt and he didn’t so who knows.

One thing I love about Benter is his all-around game. I think for some Purdue fans, they thought he’d be another Cline/Stefanovich/Mathias but I think he has a much better all-around game. Would you agree?