IUBB 22/‘23

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

JHS may have slid into the PG role, but it's not like he's coming off the bench and picking up minutes he wasn't playing.  He was already playing more minutes than X.  It's greatly weakened our defense (essentially Bates for X) and our ball handling (turnovers have been a problem for JHS since taking over for X).  

Your correct. I didn’t claim it was perfect. But JHS is better qualified to assume the pg responsibilities than JG or MR assuming what Race provides. 
Defense was fine until Race went down. He contained Murray. Defense fell apart after he was hurt and was horrible today 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Does that offensive efficiency take turnovers into account?  And how about points scored off of our turnovers?  Where does that fit in?  Because those were a huge difference in the game today.

No, it's based on the number of possessions and points scored.  Points off of TOs is a possession that ends in a score just like getting a defensive rebound or taking possession after the opponent scores.  So this makes no difference in OE. 

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

JHS may have slid into the PG role, but it's not like he's coming off the bench and picking up minutes he wasn't playing.  He was already playing more minutes than X.  It's greatly weakened our defense (essentially Bates for X) and our ball handling (turnovers have been a problem for JHS since taking over for X).  

Yes on JHS TOs as he committed 6 v. NW.  He only had 2 v. Iowa.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know this will come off sappy and probably a little pathetic.  This last week I have been looking at myself and not liking my attitude or what I see of myself.  I am really working on my faith and trying to be a better person. So the first thing I need to do is to apologize to anyone on here I have offended over the years. The thing I need to work on is accepting that other people will have different opinions than mine and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has the right to their opinion and mine are no better than anybody else.

None of us are right or wrong with how we fill about things and who am I to question anybody's opinion on any subject. Over the years I have acted like I knew more about IU and my opinion is the only right opinion . 

I really thinking about this today after the game where I was disappointed in our loss.  Driving to my son's house in Plainfield to pick him up for the Pacers game. I told myself not to let the outcome of the game to ruin my time with my son. Got to his house and got to see my two granddaughters and it just brought a new perspective for me. There is no reason an outcome of a sporting event should ever effect my mood.  I have no influence on what happens on the court or field and did nothing to prepare for the game.  I just sit on my fat butt on the couch watching others play sports.

I know the ridicule about this post will come but I wanted to get this off if my chest. 

Go Hoosiers 

No ridicule Scott. I haven’t agreed with you on a lot of things, but you are a great Hoosier fan. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

JG and MR are unanplayable, then they don't play. If we only play 6 guys, we only play 6 guys. 

This. Some may say: what about the match ups? I say F the match ups. Geronimo was the ‘right’ match up on paper today and he was -16 in 10 minutes. 

Play the guys who are going to compete. Send a message instead of excusing bad defense on injuries in the post game presser. SMH 

Sorry. I took a break from the board for a few hours and I’m still salty. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This. Some may say: what about the match ups? I say F the match ups. Geronimo was the ‘right’ match up on paper today and he was -16 in 10 minutes. 

Play the guys who are going to compete. Send a message instead of excusing bad defense on injuries in the post game presser. SMH 

Agree. Like I said, the expectations have to be lowered a bit, you can't lose who we've lost and not have some drop-off, but that doesn't mean we still don't have the talent to compete and finish strong enough to be a dangerous tournament team as we get XJ and Thompson back. 

But, some things are going to have to change and be retooled. IU might need to play different and adjust the style of play and who plays, etc.

This is where a coach really earns his paycheck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Like I said, the expectations have to be lowered a bit, you can't lose who we've lost and not have some drop-off, but that doesn't mean we still don't have the talent to compete and finish strong enough to be a dangerous tournament as we get XJ and Thompson back. 

But, some things are going to have to change and be retooled. IU might need to play different and adjust the style of play and who plays, etc.

I would try to see what Banks and Duncomb can do in games

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Like I said, the expectations have to be lowered a bit, you can't lose who we've lost and not have some drop-off, but that doesn't mean we still don't have the talent to compete and finish strong enough to be a dangerous tournament as we get XJ and Thompson back. 

This probably won't sit well with the older crowd, but I think RMK convinced a lot of our fans that this program could be immune to stuff like this because "we're not like everyone else." 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would try to see what Banks and Duncomb can do in games

I think at this point it should all come down to defense, hustle, nastiness and IQ. 

At least for now, if I'm the coach we're surrounding TJD and JHS with the best defenders, the guys that's hustle the most, play the smartest, etc. 

If you can compliment those two with hustle, attitude, and smart play on both ends, then you'll play. Otherwise you won't and the chances to re-prove yourself at this point will be limited. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think at this point it should all come down to defense, hustle, nastiness and IQ. 

At least for now, if I'm the coach we're surrounding TJD and JHS with the best defenders, the guys that's hustle the most, play the smartest, etc. 

If you can compliment those two with hustle, attitude, and smart play on both ends, then you'll play. Otherwise you won't and the chances to re-prove yourself at this point will be limited. 

I know the last couple of years both of us has thought there is something that is just missing from this team. Still trying to put my finger on it but it seems like this team just is different from a lot of other teams I have watched. Ni know we pay a lot close attention to IU but something is missing. I just don't see enthusiasm from the players and there are no guys who looks like they hate losing. I know that isn't true because the players are the ones who are putting all the work in.  We don't have an edge to our program.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know this will come off sappy and probably a little pathetic.  This last week I have been looking at myself and not liking my attitude or what I see of myself.  I am really working on my faith and trying to be a better person. So the first thing I need to do is to apologize to anyone on here I have offended over the years. The thing I need to work on is accepting that other people will have different opinions than mine and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has the right to their opinion and mine are no better than anybody else.

None of us are right or wrong with how we fill about things and who am I to question anybody's opinion on any subject. Over the years I have acted like I knew more about IU and my opinion is the only right opinion . 

I really thinking about this today after the game where I was disappointed in our loss.  Driving to my son's house in Plainfield to pick him up for the Pacers game. I told myself not to let the outcome of the game to ruin my time with my son. Got to his house and got to see my two granddaughters and it just brought a new perspective for me. There is no reason an outcome of a sporting event should ever effect my mood.  I have no influence on what happens on the court or field and did nothing to prepare for the game.  I just sit on my fat butt on the couch watching others play sports.

I know the ridicule about this post will come but I wanted to get this off if my chest. 

Go Hoosiers 

Scott- very sincerely, I respect this a lot.  I've tried to steer clear from arguing with you for literally years now, but I am incredibly impressed by this post.  Hope you have a great week and Go Hoosiers!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

We had a guy that could have done a much better job on Boo Buie (28 pooints on 10-18 shooting), but he was sitting on the bench with a boot on his foot...

And I don't think Geronimo was the right matchup...Robbie Beran proved that very early in the game...I thought Reneau made some mistakes, but he played as hard as I've seen him play all year...But, he's a freshman...

Unless we go zone full time, which I highly doubt, matchups are keys to every Big 10 coach...you give them a mismatch, and they'll exploit it every time...I think Trey Galloway competes at a very high level...But there are players he simply cannot guard...

It took Xavier Johnson and Race Thompson 5 years to get to the level of defense they play today...And you say that's not an excuse and we should expect young players to be at that same level? Ok...

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Go Hoosiers 

You're a good guy and a great IU fan @IU Scott...Might not always agree with you, but enjoy the discourse all the same...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We had a guy that could have done a much better job on Boo Buie (28 pooints on 10-18 shooting), but he was sitting on the bench with a boot on his foot...

And I don't think Geronimo was the right matchup...Robbie Beran proved that very early in the game...I thought Reneau made some mistakes, but he played as hard as I've seen him play all year...But, he's a freshman...

Unless we go zone full time, which I highly doubt, matchups are keys to every Big 10 coach...you give them a mismatch, and they'll exploit it every time...I think Trey Galloway competes at a very high level...But there are players he simply cannot guard...

It took Xavier Johnson and Race Thompson 5 years to get to the level of defense they play today...And you say that's not an excuse and we should expect young players to be at that same level? Ok...

Agreed.

We started having starters out to injury beginning with the Rutgers game.  If you just look at the games, scores, and outcomes before and after that game, it tells a pretty clear picture that we were executing extremely well on defense prior to that, and how it's fallen dramatically since.

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand where you are coming from. Yes, injuries make us weaker on defense. My argument is that it shouldn’t make us THAT weak. X and Race being out doesn’t excuse effort and readiness. Other that CJ Gunn on a few possessions I don’t remember seeing any real pressure on the ball. Are we just going to wait until X and Race comes back before we start playing with any urgency? Without a game plan adapted to the players we have available?

And if we are going to want to win, we will need to be comfortable in zone for longer stretches. Why did Woody go away from it when it was working yesterday? Not only are we going to be lacking size with the 4, that will require us to zone, but we are going to have to save JHS. The guy played 35 minutes last night and has to carry the offense along with TJD. Not only is a tough ask Jalen to guard the opposing teams best guard, but we can’t put him in position to get in foul trouble. If Gallo has to run the point for long stretches we’re done. (No shade on Gallo, it’s not his natural position).

Last night I listened to Assembly Call before I went to bed and one of the things brought up was that it looked like we weren’t prepared. It was almost like this team watched no tape on NW. They didn’t seem to know what they were running on offense. They didn’t seem to know that Buie anticipates passes and jumps the lane. They looked lost on defense. 

Even before X and Race went out, the writing was on the wall. This is just not a well coached team. We are fundamentally shallow. For the size advantage we had, our rebounding was piss poor. We STILL can’t hit free throws. Our passing is lazy. 

When we play horrible on defense due to lack of effort, woody says: it’s because of the injuries. When we play horrible offense because we are one dimensional, woody says: our shots aren't’ going in. What message does this send to the team when he excuses their lack of execution and effort on ‘bad luck’. When talking about Kopp, he says that Kopp has to shoot it more, but he doesn’t run any plays for Kopp. It’s like he thinks Kopp is an NBA player who can get his own shots. Kopp is a good player and can be very useful, but he can’t create for himself.  

Sorry for the long rant, but Woody has a lot to prove in my opinion. His hand is being forced with these injuries. He’s going to have to show that he can adapt. He’s going to have to get his arms wrapped around this team. We will lose some games that we had in the win column (I accept that), but losing to NW at home is not acceptable. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I understand where you are coming from. Yes, injuries make us weaker on defense. My argument is that it shouldn’t make us THAT weak. X and Race being out doesn’t excuse effort and readiness. Other that CJ Gunn on a few possessions I don’t remember seeing any real pressure on the ball. Are we just going to wait until X and Race comes back before we start playing with any urgency? Without a game plan adapted to the players we have available?

And if we are going to want to win, we will need to be comfortable in zone for longer stretches. Why did Woody go away from it when it was working yesterday? Not only are we going to be lacking size with the 4, that will require us to zone, but we are going to have to save JHS. The guy played 35 minutes last night and has to carry the offense along with TJD. Not only is a tough ask Jalen to guard the opposing teams best guard, but we can’t put him in position to get in foul trouble. If Gallo has to run the point for long stretches we’re done. (No shade on Gallo, it’s not his natural position).

Last night I listened to Assembly Call before I went to bed and one of the things brought up was that it looked like we weren’t prepared. It was almost like this team watched no tape on NW. They didn’t seem to know what they were running on offense. They didn’t seem to know that Buie anticipates passes and jumps the lane. They looked lost on defense. 

Even before X and Race went out, the writing was on the wall. This is just not a well coached team. We are fundamentally shallow. For the size advantage we had, our rebounding was piss poor. We STILL can’t hit free throws. Our passing is lazy. 

When we play horrible on defense due to lack of effort, woody says: it’s because of the injuries. When we play horrible offense because we are one dimensional, woody says: our shots aren't’ going in. What message does this send to the team when he excuses their lack of execution and effort on ‘bad luck’. When talking about Kopp, he says that Kopp has to shoot it more, but he doesn’t run any plays for Kopp. It’s like he thinks Kopp is an NBA player who can get his own shots. Kopp is a good player and can be very useful, but he can’t create for himself.  

Sorry for the long rant, but Woody has a lot to prove in my opinion. His hand is being forced with these injuries. He’s going to have to show that he can adapt. He’s going to have to get his arms wrapped around this team. We will lose some games that we had in the win column (I accept that), but losing to NW at home is not acceptable. 

Good post.. I see a lot the same things… lots of fundamentals lacking on both sides of the ball

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, slojoe said:

Scoring not the problem.  Defense is.

I don't know if TJD and JHS can maintain this 30 point a game pace though.  So if one of them has an off night, scoring will quickly become and issue.  If they average 20 each, that is 20 points that the rest of this team has to pick up and i don't know if we can.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Go Hoosiers 

There is not ridicule in self reflection and wanting to better yourself/ourselves.  Good for you on strengthing your faith and wanting to be a better person.  And i say this knowing we don't always agree and have said some terse things back and forth.  For that, i apologize to you.  To a new year!!!!  Go Hoosiers

• Like 1