Kansas Post Game

Inequality

I was fortunate enough to be coached by two HOF coaches in my high school playing days in Indiana and one in Florida. 

I’ll never forget what my baseball coach said, and it’s stuck with me over the years as a coach. “If you boys can show up every single day sporting the 3 E’s, you’ll never lose, in practice or on the ball field. ENERGY, EFFORT AND ENTHUSIASM.” 

When I was young, I kind of blew it off. Once I became an adult, it hit me. It’s easy for the young fellas to get up for a big home game, but they have to harness that energy, bring the effort and be enthusiastic about it on the road as well. That’s what it takes, and that’s what we’ve been lacking for many years now. Hopefully Woody can bring this to fruition. 

Edited by Danomatic
  • Like 4

Just now, Danomatic said:

I was fortunate enough to be coached by two HOF coaches in my high school playing days Indiana and one in Florida. 

I’ll never forget what my baseball coach said, and it’s stuck with me over the years as a coach. “If you boys can show up every single day sporting the 3 E’s, you’ll never lose, in practice or on the ball field. ENERGY, EFFORT AND ENTHUSIASM.” 

When I was young, I kind of blew it off. Once I became an adult, it hit me. It’s easy for the young fellas to get up for a big home game, but they have to harness that energy, bring the effort and be enthusiastic about it on the road as well. That’s what it takes, and that’s what we’ve been lacking for many years now. Hopefully Woody can bring this to fruition. 

Definitely agree with this. But if we aren’t able to get up against top 10 teams and come out ready to play, we’ve got big problems. I can understand sluggish play against bad teams or after a big win - and it’s still not acceptable in those instances.

1 minute ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Come on folks, yes it was another disappointing game, but it’s early. Hopefully it’s just something we’re going though right now. Didn’t show much fight in this one! 

Been early for at least 8 years and most of the past 20 plus. We fans are great at finding excuses. Next it's hard to win on the road in the big etc... I thought this team could change that narrative and they migh5 but better get their heads out of their rear ends

• Like 7

Honestly, this game was lost the moment it was scheduled. This program is not yet in a position to go on the road and win non-conference games against top 10 teams let alone KU. The reason to schedule these games is for the long-term goal of being a title contender.  This year can still be enjoyable, just not today.

23 turnovers on the road, and giving up 10 offensive rebounds says it all. We played in panic mode all game long. Woodson has a lot of work to do.

On a positive note at least we broke 50 pts, and the season is still young. Forget about rankings and get back to work. TJD is going to be double/triple teamed the rest of the season, so we better figure out how to take advantage that.

• Like 1

I would love to know with this team, after a performance like that who is the player that is just absolutely losing their mind in the locker room?

Who is the guy, if anyone, that is throwing chairs, screaming and just losing their minds on everyone in the locker room?

Most good teams have someone that just hates to lose so bad that it drives them nuts sometimes. Wondering if IU has anyone like that?

• Like 7

4th game in a row where TJD was double teamed on the catch.  In that stretch we've hit open shots in 1 1/2 games and lost 3 of the 4.  Missing open shots isn't on Coach Woodson, but what is on him is not coming up with adjustments after seeing the same thing over 4 games.  Need to come up with something to counter the way we are being defended rather than hoping a historically bad shooting team starts hitting shots and also having guys drive into the paint getting the ball stripped. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Only took about 2-5 comments to show my self out the door. Some of you guys man. Did we get beat? Yes. Badly? Yes..but man it's December. Hopefully Xavier injury isn't season ending. Otherwise catch up later kids. 

It’s almost as if you had this written up before you read any responses. I don’t see a single over-the-top post.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

4th game in a row where TJD was double teamed on the catch.  In that stretch we've hit open shots in 1 1/2 games and lost 3 of the 4.  Missing open shots isn't on Coach Woodson, but what is on him is not coming up with adjustments after seeing the same thing over 4 games.  Need to come up with something to counter the way we are being defended rather than hoping a historically bad shooting team starts hitting shots and also having guys drive into the paint getting the ball stripped. 

We hit 10/25 against Arizona so I hate is very good

2 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Great post! This is the stuff that I put on the coach, not whether players chose to play hard or not. 

Our offense is so stagnant. We just try to dump it to TJD and then everyone just stands around waiting. Very little movement, not much the defense has to react too. 

We rarely make teams pay for doubling TJD. When IU played well at the end of last season we went away from TJD on the block and went to the XJ/TJD PnR game with off ball movement. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

“People want national championship banners. People want to talk about Indiana being competitive. How do we get there? We don’t get there with milk and cookies.” Good Bob Knight quote. 

I like this one as well Coach…

"The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win.Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win. preparing to win is where the determination that you will win, is made. Once the game or test or project is underway, it is too late to prepare to win. The actual game, test or projetc is just the end of a long process of getting ready, in which the outcome was really determined. So if you want to win, you must want to prepare to win. Once you prepare to win, winning is almost anti climatic." - Bobby Knight

• Like 4

At this point my prediction was we would be 9-2 so we are only one game off of that which isn't horrible.  Not happy how we played against Rutgers and KU but the season isn't over. Not saying we will go to the chammpionship game but I bet UNC fans were talking like us last year.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1