Kansas Post Game

Inequality

23 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay.  not that i totally disagree, but i would say that there are 4-5 teams at least that are as good as AZ and KS.  kind of nitpicking, but they'll likely be #5 and 6 in the new poll.  more importantly (and yes i acknowledge it is tough to win at Rutgers) we lost at Rutgers already and they aren't in the top 25.  to your point though - no team can lose one of there top 3 players and not miss a beat against a top 10 team.  also to your point no team in the B1G other than (puke) maybe Purdue is as good as AZ or KS.  still... at this point it is very easy to imagine that we will lose enough road games (Illinois, MD, Purdue, Mich St., Mich) to be 5th or worse.  nice improvement, but still disappointing with this talent.  

I mostly agree. I think if we don’t click we aren’t in the same conversation as the elite teams. I think what that means in terms of being disappointing is going to be different for everyone.

In terms of conference I think we can still win it, depending on how things go without X and how long we don’t have him. You’d like to see us win at least three of the next four conference games, if not all four, if we are going to make a run at it but that could be tough without Xavier. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's my point though. That team had Fife, Hornsby, Newton, Coverdale, Newton....Moye, Odle and on and on. It takes teams time to click. 

I don’t see one player on the current roster with the toughness of Fife, Coverdale or Moye. Therein lies the problem. We don’t have one player who refuses to lose. Our best teams all had that guy or guys.

• Like 9

I barely watched the game today - part of it was being exhausted from work but once I saw we were down big again, the excitement was out of the balloon. I think it is good to have played these games against Arizona and Kansas. Hopefully the lessons learned pay dividends. But I'm not going to pretend I'm not disappointed at the final scores not being more competitive on both contests.

• Like 2

When your house crumbles to the ground you can move on or rebuild. IU Basketball has no choice but to rebuild and it has to start with a firm foundation of defense. 

Practice should determine who starts and who gets minutes. No more locked in starters. You earn your time on the floor and you earn it playing defense like your life depends on it. CMW needs a quick hook for anyone out of position or costing them on D. 

What about offense? Well, does it matter if you get torched on D? Reset the season by dominating on D and crashing the boards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay.  not that i totally disagree, but i would say that there are 4-5 teams at least that are as good as AZ and KS.  kind of nitpicking, but they'll likely be #5 and 6 in the new poll.  more importantly (and yes i acknowledge it is tough to win at Rutgers) we lost at Rutgers already and they aren't in the top 25.  to your point though - no team can lose one of there top 3 players and not miss a beat against a top 10 team.  also to your point no team in the B1G other than (puke) maybe Purdue is as good as AZ or KS.  still... at this point it is very easy to imagine that we will lose enough road games (Illinois, MD, Purdue, Mich St., Mich) to be 5th or worse.  nice improvement, but still disappointing with this talent.  

I'll take 5 road losses in the Big 10 in a heartbeat....and if we only lose 5 more on the road we won't be 5th or worse. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t see one player on the current roster with the toughness of Fife, Coverdale or Moye. Therein lies the problem. We don’t have one player who refuses to lose. Our best teams all had that guy or guys.

They were so tough they lost that many games early on though right? Some of the scorecards around here get a little fuzzy. I know it depends on the echo chamber but those IU toughness guys losing to Marquette, Southern Illinois, Miami, Butler?? 

• Like 1

I find comfort in the expressed frustration of some who are steady and tenured posters over the recent struggles of this team.  

I grew up on Bob Knight basketball.  Woodson has made no secret of his honor and respect for BK, which I do appreciate.  That said, Woody, be like your mentor and find a Ricky Calloway, Luke Recker, Jason Collier-sized dog house, and put some upperclassmen/underachievers on the bench.  

Race and Kopp?  They are what they are.  AND SO, let’s not waste an entire year.

GIVE ME A HEAVY DOSE OF:

Trayce

JHS

Malik

Bates

Galloway

Banks

Gunn

Take those seven guys.  Prioritize their development.  Faze the minutes of 2 seniors, who’ve had more than enough time to make their case.  Practice would get lively, if guys knew they had a chance to help make this team better moving forward.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

When your house crumbles to the ground you can move on or rebuild. IU Basketball has no choice but to rebuild and it has to start with a firm foundation of defense. 

Practice should determine who starts and who gets minutes. No more locked in starters. You earn your time on the floor and you earn it playing defense like your life depends on it. CMW needs a quick hook for anyone out of position or costing them on D. 

What about offense? Well, does it matter if you get torched on D? Reset the season by dominating on D and crashing the boards.

see i love his old school approach that almost no one things is okay anymore.  society now says that if you pull guys out for making mistakes you shake their confidence.  if you don't start the same guys every game they don't understand their roles and they aren't comfortable.  i think it is weak and you can get better results if they are tough enough to take criticism and discipline and either step it up or sit on the bench.  it ain't gonna happen though.

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take 5 road losses in the Big 10 in a heartbeat....and if we only lose 5 more on the road we won't be 5th or worse. 

well, it would actually be 6 because we already have 1 and leaves no room for a home clunker, but i could definitely see us only losing 6 or 7 total in conference.  i also realize that is a decent season and a definite improvement over recent years.  i just got my hopes up for better.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

I find comfort in the expressed frustration of some who are steady and tenured posters over the recent struggles of this team.  

I grew up on Bob Knight basketball.  Woodson has made no secret of his honor and respect for BK, which I do appreciate.  That said, Woody, be like your mentor and find a Ricky Calloway, Luke Recker, Jason Collier-sized dog house, and put some upperclassmen/underachievers on the bench.  

Race and Kopp?  They are what they are.  AND SO, let’s not waste an entire year.

GIVE ME A HEAVY DOSE OF:

Trayce

JHS

Malik

Bates

Galloway

Banks

Gunn

Take those seven guys.  Prioritize their development.  Faze the minutes of 2 seniors, who’ve had more than enough time to make their case.  Practice would get lively, if guys knew they had a chance to help make this team better moving forward.  

i like this a lot, but it ain't happnin

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

GIVE ME A HEAVY DOSE OF:

Trayce

JHS

Malik

Bates

Galloway

Banks

Gunn

What was up with Reneau? I wasn't able to watch the game, but following a bit on my phone it seemed like he barely played until late. Didn't have any fouls.