Kansas Post Game

Inequality

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It'll provide JHS the opportunity to step up and lead. I know freshmen usually have to wait their turn, but if XJ is our for a while, he'll have his shot.

Jalen does have a long way to go, especially against top flight teams. Rewatched the game this morning, and his decision making wasn't very good. Vitale kept harping on the fact that our guards weren't getting TJD the ball in a position to score. Say what you want about Vitale, but the guy coached at the highest levels and knows the game, over the top exuberance aside... I think this is what he's talking about...PXL_20221218_134929794.thumb.jpg.12b372140986ceeda7e727adea7ef4ca.jpg

Trayce had 1 guy (a guard) between him and the basket... But Jalen reset the offense instead.

You're right... Trying to pin this on one or two guys isn't right. It was a team effort 🙂 

But, we're not even a third of the way through the season, we got beat by 2 top 10 teams... Not time to make wholesale changes. 

Exactly. I used to get so frustrated with Rob P for the same reason. The example you used is just one of many I noticed yesterday.

Indiana and it’s inconsistency while Trace is here is more about the pieces that have been placed around him. I don’t get folks that think IU would have or could be better without Trace. He can only do so much and his overall numbers say a lot about his ability and effectiveness.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, rico said:

That would be my opinion as well.  Hopefully he finds the bottom of the net early and often.

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My own opinion is that Gunn will be in line for more meaningful minutes... He seems more confident out there, and in theory provides another shooter...

Geronimo had a steal late in the game, stopped at the arc and hesitated, and passed it to Gunn... CJ had zero reservations about putting it up... He missed, but I love his confidence... 

Who's getting CJ these shots, though? 

Our process of getting good looks is going to have to altered quite a bit with no XJ. 

He's also currently 1-11 from 3

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Exactly. I used to get so frustrated with Rob P for the same reason. The example you used is just one of many I noticed yesterday.

Indiana and it’s inconsistency while Trace is here is more about the pieces that have been placed around him. I don’t get folks that think IU would have or could be better without Trace. He can only do so much and his overall numbers say a lot about his ability and effectiveness.

Poor guard play and the 4 position have for sure hampered TJD. Great post

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Who's getting CJ these shots, though? 

Our process of getting good looks is going to have to altered quite a bit with no XJ. 

He's also currently 1-11 from 3

Yeah, but come on... Most of his attempts are in trash time. He's got great form... He just needs meaningful game time to figure it out...

Banks is still "mechanical" which tells me he's a little unsure of himself out there. I think he'll figure it out eventually... But I just think CJ is more game ready...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but come on... Most of his attempts are in trash time. He's got great form... He just needs meaningful game time to figure it out...

Banks is still "mechanical" which tells me he's a little unsure of himself out there. I think he'll figure it out eventually... But I just think CJ is more game ready...

I don't think either of them are game ready. For me, it's a skill set thing. I don't think CJs skill set is what we are lacking. 

To be clear-- you said "I don't see wholesale changes"... and I agreed with that. 

But the ability to "slash" and just get to rack is our biggest issue, offensively. "Imo" 🙄

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

And you think Banks can provide that right now?

I don't... 

I mentioned I don't think either are ready. But I think Banks skill set is what we are lacking more than CJs. 

Again, I'm not clamoring for Banks to get PT. 

I was just mentioning if a change was made.. as in.. Race/JG/MR got less mins at the 4 and Banks got some... is about the only personnel change I could envision in the future as a plus. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mentioned I don't think either are ready. But I think Banks skill set is what we are lacking more than CJs. 

Again, I'm not clamoring for Banks to get PT. 

I was just mentioning if a change was made.. as in.. Race/JG/MR got less mins at the 4 and Banks got some... is about the only personnel change I could envision in the future as a plus. 

The certainty of it is someone currently not getting meaningful PT is going to.

One think I'm hopeful of, is that we get both some decent minutes in these next 2 games...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Also, yesterday sucked big time. But we just aren’t where we thought we were going to be. I would rather play these tough games and find out though, than play cupcakes the entire non-conference part of our schedule. 

All day. Plus humbling some guys can only benefit our staff too. We don't have anyone else on our schedule that presents the challenges of Kansas and Arizona. Even in defeat much to gain. 

• Like 2

One other thing after rewatching...

The Kansas kids were not only talented, they were great opponents...I didn't see any woofing, dirty play, or any thing questionable... They helped our kids up off the floor... No mock tough guys... 

They were all about the business at hand... Winning the basketball game... 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I don't think Woodson has a big enough set to do that. I have never understood why Race starts and TJD is easy to defend. At least Kopp plays hard.

This illustrates "our" problem(s).  We have good players but each has some significant shortcoming: Race doesn't show up some nights, TJD tends to wilt against elite opponents, Kopp may hit a good percentage but if he only scores 6 points he really isn't a threat, XJ can be wildly inconsistent.  Those are our best & most experienced players.

The rate of improvement in the program will be proprtionate to recruiting success.  I hate looking at it that way as it feels like a broken record, but that's how it looks to me.  I think this years freshmen hold great promise but I have dwindling expectation for the future improvement of JG, TB, & LD.

I can't believe Woody & staff don't know the difference between what we have versus what we need, my question is whether they will/can do what needs to be done.

IMO, this is the best and most fun IU team to watch in quite a while (rather sobering realization).  But we're only halfway up the mountain.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see any way we can afford to play guys massive mins the next two games. 

Dear god if one of JHS or TG go down now... 

These next 2 games are gonna have to be used to find a way to replace XJ.  At least that is my thought process.

Yep, we are in trouble if JHS or Trey get the injury bug.  

• Like 1

I posted a couple of dates a few pages back...

11/15/1991 UCLA 87 IU 72

3/28/1992 IU 106 UCLA 79 

@94Bulldogcaught it...

I remember having to sit there and watch the first game with a guy from Stockton who didn't know much about college basketball, beside the fact UCLA had 10 NCs and were from California. He rubbed it in bigtime...

By the time March rolled around, IU was a different team...Smoked UCLA in the Elite 8, then got hosed in the National Semi-Final...My friend from California had PCSed by that time...But I made sure I looked him up...

Teams do grow and get better over time...Not saying this one will have that kind of improvement/success, but it's a little early in the season to be waving white flags...

Edited by IUFLA

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't see any way we can afford to play guys massive mins the next two games. 

Dear god if one of JHS or TG go down now... 

Yeah, that would be almost insurmountable.

Losing key player(s) is costly, that's why I questioned Self for leaving Dick in until only 2 minutes remained (with a comfortable lead against a listless opponent).

[Not my intention, but now who takes the bait 🙃)

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yeah, that would be almost insurmountable.

Losing key player(s) is costly, that's why I questioned Self for leaving Dick in until only 2 minutes remained (with a comfortable lead against a listless opponent).

[Not my intention, but now who takes the bait 🙃)

I can't think of a response that is even mildly appropriate.   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I posted a couple of dates a few pages back...

11/15/1991 UCLA 87 IU 72

3/28/1992 IU 106 UCLA 79 

@94Bulldogcaught it...

I remember having to sit there and watch the first game with a guy from Stockton who didn't know much about college basketball, beside the fact UCLA had 10 NCs and were from California. He rubbed it in bigtime...

By the time March rolled around, IU was a different team...Smoked UCLA in the Elite 8, then got hosed in the National Semi-Final...

Teams do grow and get better over time...Not saying this one will have that kind of improvement/success, but it's a little early in the season to be waving white flags...

You left out that Knight was gonna red-shirt Reynolds.  He did not play in that season opener.  RMK then decided he needed Chris for that year.

• Like 3