Kansas Post Game

Inequality

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Hopefully somebody will step up. That said I do remember questioning that teams toughness in 2001 when they lost 5 games before January and fell out of the top 25. I remember being so pissed after they lost to Southern Illinois. 

That team had shooters, defenders and players who had mental toughness. Something we haven't had in years. This team will muddle along and finish mid-pack in the Big 10. I really can't see us winning a Big 10 road game other than at Minnesota. 

32 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yeah, that would be almost insurmountable.

Losing key player(s) is costly, that's why I questioned Self for leaving Dick in until only 2 minutes remained (with a comfortable lead against a listless opponent).

[Not my intention, but now who takes the bait 🙃)

If I were Coaching Kansas, I would of pulled Dick out much earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

That team had shooters, defenders and players who had mental toughness. Something we haven't had in years. This team will muddle along and finish mid-pack in the Big 10. I really can't see us winning a Big 10 road game other than at Minnesota. 

I’m just saying that it sure didn’t seem that way in the moment in December of 2001. Point being is that it is a long season. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m just saying that it sure didn’t seem that way in the moment in December of 2021. Point being is that it is a long season. 

I think people have selective memory when it comes to that 01-02 team. I'll always appreciate the run they gave us, but people seem to forget we lost 12 games that year, and there were times when that group didn't always seem so tough. Everyone remembers beating Duke and Oklahoma...not everyone remembers losing at Illinois and MSU after spanking both of them at home. Nor does everyone remember the team crapping its pants in the last 5 minutes against Iowa and letting a former Hoosier beat them after sweeping Iowa during the season. We also lost to Butler that year, and failed to score in the final 2 minutes of a home loss to Wisconsin. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

which is also a very tough place to play even when they are bad.

44 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think people have selective memory when it comes to that 01-02 team. I'll always appreciate the run they gave us, but people seem to forget we lost 12 games that year, and there were times when that group didn't always seem so tough. Everyone remembers beating Duke and Oklahoma...not everyone remembers losing at Illinois and MSU after spanking both of them at home. Nor does everyone remember the team crapping its pants in the last 5 minutes against Iowa and letting a former Hoosier beat them after sweeping Iowa during the season. We also lost to Butler that year, and failed to score in the final 2 minutes of a home loss to Wisconsin. 

Soooo... the ultimate got hot at the right time, right? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

But did the fans think that at the time we were 7-5 or after the fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Funny that season turned when George Leach got hurt on the opening tip at NW.  That allowed Odle to come in and started the rest of the season 

As far as leadership and winning goes...

Career wise, Quinn Buckner is the IU leader in only 2 ignominious statistics... Personal Fouls and turnovers...

Yet, in his 4 years at IU, we were 108-12 overall and 59-5 in Big 10 play...

Buckner was the greatest leader we ever had at IU. A mentally tough winner that did whatever it took... 

I see some of those traits in Jalen Hood-Schifino...

He's about to be asked to takeover the leadership of this team... 

Let's see where he takes us... 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As far as leadership and winning goes...

Career wise, Quinn Buckner is the IU leader in only 2 ignominious statistics... Personal Fouls and turnovers...

Yet, in his 4 years at IU, we were 108-12 overall and 59-5 in Big 10 play...

Buckner was the greatest leader we ever had at IU. A mentally tough winner that did whatever it took... 

I see some of those traits in Jalen Hood-Schifino...

He's about to be asked to takeover the leadership of this team... 

Let's see where he takes us... 

JHS won’t be here long enough to get anything established unfortunately!! IMO some of these players are just as happy to just cruise through the season reaping the NIL $$$…TJD, Race and Kopp.

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yeah, that would be almost insurmountable.

Losing key player(s) is costly, that's why I questioned Self for leaving Dick in until only 2 minutes remained (with a comfortable lead against a listless opponent).

[Not my intention, but now who takes the bait 🙃)

2 minutes of listless D#%K:

1.  Sex Pistols 2nd album?

A.  What my wife calls me 

III.  Tuesday night 🥱😳

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My own opinion is that Gunn will be in line for more meaningful minutes... He seems more confident out there, and in theory provides another shooter...

Geronimo had a steal late in the game, stopped at the arc and hesitated, and passed it to Gunn... CJ had zero reservations about putting it up... He missed, but I love his confidence... 

I agree.  And it’s darn hard to sit for 38 min, come in at the end, and actually hit a shot.  It’s so difficult to sit the whole game and then reasonably get in the flow.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing after rewatching...

The Kansas kids were not only talented, they were great opponents...I didn't see any woofing, dirty play, or any thing questionable... They helped our kids up off the floor... No mock tough guys... 

They were all about the business at hand... Winning the basketball game... 

I know lots of folks in college basketball have opinions about Self, but that was a well coached and seemingly classy team and program. Would be an easy team (and program) to be proud of as a fan IMO. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

It’s called “The IT factor.” That team had it. This team lacks it. 

Did you think that in December of 2001? 

Obviously no Final Four run, but Yogi's senior year I believe we were calling for Crean's head at this point in the season before a Big Ten Title and losing to the eventual champion in the S16 after beating UK in the Round of 32. 

The 2012 team (Zeller's freshman year) they lost three straight AFTer the UK win and I am pretty sure we all thought the wheels were falling off, same ole same ole that had netted us 28 wins the previous three seasons combined, only for us to rebound and have a very strong season. 

I'd hate to see what people though in December of 1980. I'm sure there wasn't much reassurance among the faithful that we had a mentally tough team - probably a lot of nasty comments and thoughts about our best player ever instead. 

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Did you think that in December of 2001? 

Obviously no Final Four run, but Yogi's senior year I believe we were calling for Crean's head at this point in the season before a Big Ten Title and losing to the eventual champion in the S16 after beating UK in the Round of 32. 

The 2012 team (Zeller's freshman year) they lost three straight AFTer the UK win and I am pretty sure we all thought the wheels were falling off, same ole same ole that had netted us 28 wins the previous three seasons combined, only for us to rebound and have a very strong season. 

I'd hate to see what people though in December of 1980. I'm sure there wasn't much reassurance among the faithful that we had a mentally tough team - probably a lot of nasty comments and thoughts about our best player ever instead. 

The 2001 team’s largest margin of defeat was 14 for the whole entire year. They lost some games early but fought hard. That team always played tough and with a chip on their shoulder - they had the “it factor.” With that said, I understand what you’re saying…our other good teams have had stretches of multiple Ls. What concerns me about this team is not so much the losses but the way we lost. We were non-competitive during long stretches of each game and got waxed.

I would love for this team to develop the “IT factor.” However, we’re not a young team either. We’re a veteran team. Trayce and Race have had a combined 10 years in this program.  I don’t have time to look it up, but would love to know their record away from Assembly Hall. Does anyone know? Can’t be good. I’m not saying it’s easy to win on the road, but winning on the road is a product of toughness and leadership. So far we’re 1-3 this year. 

Lastly, I’m not so sure any of our teams in the last 20 years have had “The It factor.” Nobody has made it past the Sweet 16. I suppose the 2008 team before hell froze and the 2013 team before Crean didn’t know how to coach against the zone. Regardless, no team since the ‘02 team has made it past the second weekend. We need this year’s team to change that…but it won’t happen unless things start changing quickly. 

I certainly hope this team changes…and I’ll be looking for positive change after these losses, I just feel far too often we’ve said that, with many of these same players. When will it begin to click for them?

EDIT - there’s something about JHS and Malik….even Gunn that gives me hope. I believe these guys are tough and have “the it factor.” I’m excited to see how they develop into leaders in the future. They’re part of the necessary culture change that will make Indiana great again. 

Edited by Hoosier987

34 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

The 2001 team’s largest margin of defeat was 14 for the whole entire year. They lost some games early but fought hard. That team always played tough and with a chip on their shoulder - they had the “it factor.” With that said, I understand what you’re saying…our other good teams have had stretches of multiple Ls. What concerns me about this team is not so much the losses but the way we lost. We were non-competitive during long stretches of each game and got waxed.

I would love for this team to develop the “IT factor.” However, we’re not a young team either. We’re a veteran team. Trayce and Race have had a combined 10 years in this program.  I don’t have time to look it up, but would love to know their record away from Assembly Hall. Does anyone know? Can’t be good. I’m not saying it’s easy to win on the road, but winning on the road is a product of toughness and leadership. So far we’re 1-3 this year. 

Lastly, I’m not so sure any of our teams in the last 20 years have had “The It factor.” Nobody has made it past the Sweet 16. I suppose the 2008 team before hell froze and the 2013 team before Crean didn’t know how to coach against the zone. Regardless, no team since the ‘02 team has made it past the second weekend. We need this year’s team to change that…but it won’t happen unless things start changing quickly. 

I certainly hope this team changes…and I’ll be looking for positive change after these losses, I just feel far too often we’ve said that, with many of these same players. When will it begin to click for them?

EDIT - there’s something about JHS and Malik….even Gunn that gives me hope. I believe these guys are tough and have “the it factor.” I’m excited to see how they develop into leaders in the future. They’re part of the necessary culture change that will make Indiana great again. 

With Race and Trayce IU is 9-26 in road games. 

• Sad 3