Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

I watched the first half and then shut it off. Just wanted to see the good stuff really. 

That was a heck of a start on the road. Really hope that becomes a norm for us. 

JHS is going to really shine with all of this playing time. Hope it doesn’t wear him down to much by season end though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I didn’t see the first half. Was there not a foul called on the play where Race got hurt ?  

No.  It wasn't intentional (IMO), and maybe shouldn't have been called.  But, iowa got to play 5 versus 4 because of the injury their player caused.  I'm not sure about the rule on stopping play, but that was unjust!

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm still in the first.  The charge called on him was criminal  at 330.  He saves a ball to Kopp, great play.  At 3 huge block.  On the offensive end, blocks out McCaffrey draws the foul and misses the front end of one and one.  And then the weakest technical foul since Xavier occurs.  

All in all, Geronimo in the first half may have been in the game during an 11 0 run but was not bad at all. 

He didn't see the ball to help break the press around 230, huge block at 2.  

Then he does make the bone head move of touching the rim and Trayce yells Geronimo fudge clear as day lol.  But they count the basket.  

And also tips one in with about 30 seconds to go.  All in all actually a pretty great half from a guy we don't trust.  

I'll watch the 2nd half when I get back from the y

@Zuckerkorn

Explain what is confusing?  I took the time to rewatch and breakdown every play Geronimo was at least somewhat involved.  He had little to do with the big run IN THE FIRST HALF and played solid overall.  2 mistakes, one running away from the ball during the press break and touching the rim which was waived no goaltend.  

Some of us can have quality back and forth, some can't.   

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

OK.  He had 2 bad plays in the first half, one was waived off.  To each his own.  I don't really care.  

I outlined 7 empty possessions because of him, all bad plays, so agree to disagree on that.

I will rewatch his first half minutes later and give a breakdown like Btown did of his defense. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

To me, that’s a foul. Really no different than when they call a moving screen on a handoff.

You combine that with the technical that wasn’t, and that really goes above and beyond a normal B1G road pork job. 

I can see it being a foul. 

I just don't think it was dirty... at all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Defense and rebounding are all about effort, grit, intensity, determination. And Iowa was getting to the rim and hauling down offensive boards seemingly at will once they comeback started.

That said, my OP that introduced the intestinal fortitude term was not specifically directed at this game, but what it takes to be a top-10 team given the challenges of being the identified favorite or frontrunner. I clarified in a subsequent post. 

Gotta disagree with your first paragraph. I don't mean this as a shot at you whatsoever, but I hate when people say that defense is all about effort, etc.  

It's just not true. While effort is a huge part, it's just as much about system, understanding positional defense and spacing, communication, IQ, and all of those other things. 

A guy like Miller Kopp isn't near the athlete that JG or Bates are, but he's a much better defender then both. Miller Kopp knows the system, he communicates, he understands the rotations and when to switch, hedge, etc., etc. He's not perfect and he does make mistakes, but for example, JG's defensive issues last night weren't about effort or grit, it was about getting completely lost because he doesn't understand or know what to do. 

It's the same as a player on offense that doesn't know the plays or constantly turns it over, you need to know the system, rotations, situational defense, etc., as much as you need to play with effort and grit. 

• Like 3

Just now, southsidehoosier said:

Some of you guys who rewatch the game have more patience than me. I’d hear about my parents sex lives than rewatch that game🤮

I get it. 

But, that is truly the only way to learn. You (us, all of us) can't process what happens in those games with just seeing everything live. 

Looking at the big picture, X could have been a major factor in helping us win this game and others, for that matter, but Race going down just kicked this team square in the n#tz last night! IMO, Race was having one of his best games of the season before he went down. He had 9 pts. and the way he was playing he had the potential to have a season high. I have a feeling he will be able to come back, JMO. However, the thing that REALLY would have/should have changed that game to our favor was McCaffery getting his second technical and ejected. They called JG for at technical for passing the ball to the ref standing out of bounds, which was BS...., but Fran gets nosy and decides to walk across the half court line into IU's coaching box, gets a Tech, then get it waved off?

Absolutely Unbelievable!

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Was that the same year that RMK had Jadlow throw a fastball off the face of one of their defenders who was guarding the in bounds? 

That was kinda funny 

An endless string of tall thin 🌽 Iowa big men from Michael Payne to Brad Lohaus to Koch…..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I outlined 7 empty possessions because of him, all bad plays, so agree to disagree on that.

I will rewatch his first half minutes later and give a breakdown like Btown did of his defense. 

The first 9 minutes of the 2nd half, I really can't believe Woodson left him in.  Murray was just abusing him.  

Maybe I wasn't clear.  I broke down the 1st half earlier.  If you rewatch and decide he was awful, In the 1st half, I'll just have to agree to disagree.  

This 2nd half so far, he just got manslaughter.  Malik in at 11:35

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

For sure as well as May. Not sure any other school can say that. Hummel hurt PU for sure but not sure they win it all with him. I feel very strongly that with Henderson and May healthy we have 2 more banenrs. 

Purdue was rolling that year but depth inside probably gets them at some point.  

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Malik gets abused by rbraca.  Trayce attempts to guard Murray and Opie gets an offensive rebounds put back as our team watches instead of blocks out.  

Probably the most criminal call of the night is the no call from Perkins elbowing JHS clearly in the face.  

I can't understand that one. I saw the first replay, went downstairs to do something... absolutely assuming we were going to be shooting FTs on the other end when I got back... nope. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Agreed. Seemed like some thought because it wasn’t intentional that it wasn’t a foul. 

Hope he’s not hurt too bad. Really good player. 

Perkins kinda plays like a bull in a China shop and he is built like a bull too.  Maybe they could have called player control but he sort of was the possessor of the ball.  

It's just an unfortunate bang bang play.  I wouldn't have been mad had they called a foul on him but wasn't surprised at the no call.  

30 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Big Ten was rough that year.  3 of the final elite 8 teams were from the Big Ten that year.

My point is that it cant be the best IU team of the last 50 years if it didnt even win conference.

With Anderson and Meeks, the individual parts of the '91-'92 team may have been sexier, but the whole of the team was not as good.

The '92-'93 team was 17-1 in conference and was darn near unbeatable late in the year until Henderson went down.  

I don't want to keep hacking on the guy, as he's taking plenty of heat on this thread already, but JG has got to get his ish together asap. He's simply going to have to see more minutes, and he really should be stepping into a fairly prominent role on this team at this point in his career. He's also more than likely going to get some time at the 5, especially if TJD's back issues continue to be an problem.

It also completely sucks to waste a talent like TJD, especially in this day and age when it's so rare to have a player at his skill level come back for his final year. 

There's still hope, though. IF we can get into the tournament, and get XJ and Race back before then, I'd say there's still a chance for a run. Things are looking pretty bleak right now, though, and dropping a road game to a below average team in this conference isn't helpful.

• Like 2

This one was one of the more frustrating games of the many in the last 10 years. My brother called out this morning from his job, and I deeply considered it.

I’m at work, so I don’t have time to rewatch, but I did look at texts during the game and was commenting to friends that both JG and MR looked “lost.” A bigger concern to me than the injuries is how some players appear to be regressing. I don’t want to harp on these kids with the mild example TJD shared this week, ( I am sure he has gotten far worse) so it doesn’t matter to me what half it was in- they have both regressed. Only a couple of years ago, Geronimo and Leal helped Archie beat Iowa at Iowa, against a better Iowa team than the one we saw last night.

My concerns are several. One, the aforementioned regression of players. Although the McCaffery clan are all punks, them criticizing our handling of a zone is not the first time ( or last time) we have heard that. Subbing multiple people in with a large lead against a team who has made their living coming back on us may not be the wisest choice, especially in the first half. 
injuries have played a huge part in out losses this year, but starting at the Rutgers game, I think I am seeing the same old IU, ( not the Old Old IU) but the IU since Samson left. We need to temper our expectations and find a way to deal with it. 
Having said that, there is still plenty of season left, and the last thing I want to do is put a bunch of young men on blast who have to deal with something the “Old” IU never dealt with. The only insults they got were from RBK, not hundreds of bitter fans behind a keyboard- it’s a new era.

Effort was not even bad last night.

But after 1 1/2 seasons, I’m having my doubts about Woodson. 
Not saying I’m ready to get rid of him, just want to say that there have been some squandered opportunities.