Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

I personally can't stand the way woody is blaming this on the Non call. Don't forget how the refs also helped us out by taking the goaltending call away. This loss falls directly on the coaching staff. We're up 21 early and Woody makes the first dumb move. At a timeout he sets his studs down and puts in three cold players and sends a message you guys rest you deserved it. His message should have been. Get your asses back out there put your foot on the throat and finish the fucking thing. I want to be up 40 at the half. Then you will get a little rest. The refs suck all the time.  But the players play how they are coached. The best college teams have always had an identity. Do we? Yes we do weak and soft. At the first signs of adversity they crumble. Sorry, but Woody and his staff are not good coaches. But then again I'm not sure any coach could be good at IU with this Admin that is in place. And because of the ideology of the Admin no coach worth his paycheck will come here. It has nothing to do with fans being hard on coaches and players, money, Bobby Knight or any other stupid nonsense. It's solely due to the Admin and the culture it has created.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  My wife played soccer and she always mentions how we don't move the ball fast and don't move without the ball.  It's maddening.   

Minimal ball and player movement. Throw it post and stand around while TJD operates. Not good enough. 

• Like 1

Malik has just been terrible in his first 3 minutes.   

So far, Geronimo has done nothing  wrong on wither side besides missing free throws, which is an entire team problem as well.   

McCaffrey does hit a 25 footer on him and fouls Perkins on an and one in the open floor that maybe only tryace has the ability to contest differently.  JHS tries to dump one off to him, bad pass.  

JHS is still really good.  

During this 11 0 run from 12-8 mins, 2 turnovers by Malik, 3 from Tryace, one from JHS.  Geronimo goes out at 8 mins.  He really had nothing negative to do with that 11 o run other than maybe he could have fouled Perkins harder.

Listen, I don't love Geronimo and I'm not even calling for more minutes.  At least in his 4 minutes from 12-8, he wasn't the problem. 

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm sorry, but this is not a good take. You can't just discount injuries when we've lost (1) our senior starting PG who was honorable mention B10 last year and arguably the best PG in the league this year, (2) our 5 star freshman for some games, which was after XJ got injured, forcing TG to play point, (3) a clearly lingering back injury for our big man who is an AA candidate, and (4) another senior starter and leader last night, who also could be lost for the year. In addition, Trey has been out a few games and there have been other nicks and whatnot.

TJD played 38 minutes last night, tops on the team, and was grabbing at his back for most of the night. This team has played, what, a handful of games at full strength? And yeah, it's silly to expect to get through the season with no serious injuries, but there are very few teams in the country that are going to absorb injury losses like this and still be successful. 

Making any sort of definitive conclusion on "intestinal fortitude" or whatever term you'd like to use on a team losing this much to injury is kind of ridiculous. There has been very little opportunity in game play to gel as a unit, to come up with a consistent rotation, and it's clearly taking a toll, not just physically, but mentally. Watching two senior leaders literally get carried off the court while the third is clearly struggling physically on the court tends to do that.

If you're grading this team, I don't think you can give anything other than Incomplete.

Through the Kansas game I did not find that they lived up to their pre-season top 10 ranking. More recently, despite significant injury losses, if they were on that level, I think they find a way to win at least one on the road at Rutgers or Iowa. (RE Iowa: I don't believe in blaming officiating b/c really good teams find ways to overcome that.)

Perhaps I could have chosen a better term than intestinal fortitude. I simply meant that this team (coaching and players) prior to this year had not faced the immense psychological and emotional challenge of succeeding at a high level throughout a season as the favorite. Therefore, I think a more moderate ranking would have been appropriate. 

I continue to be underwhelmed by the overall offensive scheme and/or execution.

That said, your suggestion of an incomplete is a completely understandable one. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I personally can't stand the way woody is blaming this on the Non call. Don't forget how the refs also helped us out by taking the goaltending call away. This loss falls directly on the coaching staff. We're up 21 early and Woody makes the first dumb move. At a timeout he sets his studs down and puts in three cold players and sends a message you guys rest you deserved it. His message should have been. Get your asses back out there put your foot on the throat and finish the fucking thing. I want to be up 40 at the half. Then you will get a little rest. The refs suck all the time.  But the players play how they are coached. The best college teams have always had an identity. Do we? Yes we do weak and soft. At the first signs of adversity they crumble. Sorry, but Woody and his staff are not good coaches. But then again I'm not sure any coach could be good at IU with this Admin that is in place. And because of the ideology of the Admin no coach worth his paycheck will come here. It has nothing to do with fans being hard on coaches and players, money, Bobby Knight or any other stupid nonsense. It's solely due to the Admin and the culture it has created.  

I just can't understand why people think our athletic office is bad. We have a top 5 women's team and a top soccer program. Swimming and diving ate always good. Our baseball program has been pretty good as well. Until the injuries we were a top 15 men's college basketball team.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

1830- he gets too bodied/glued on Murray... gives up a layup.

1730- back cut... gives up a dunk

1600- he gets completely lost on Murray... Murray hits a 3

1430- he gets switched on McCaffrey-- Kopp on Murray in the post. He has his hands down/putting zero pressure on the ball... makes life easy McCaffrey, who delivers and easy pass to Murray. 

1245- lazy/poor close out-- forces TG to over help (some of this was TGs fault).. but JGs takes some blame on this play 

1220- completely over helping, off their best player, for no reason--- 3 points Murray

1130- he gets pinned under the rim in transition and gives up an and 1

2nd half?

For me the fear is if Woody can't turn it around then I think this is what Indians basketball is destined to be.

We hired an interim coach who had early success but couldn't sustain it.

We hired a known chester and killed the program. 

We hired a known coach from a program that had some success. He had enthusiasm and was able to recruit well enough but couldn't sustain success. 

Hired a hot mid major coach but wasn't ba good match to this program. Didn't have much success at all. 

Hired a former IU great with ties to the NBA. To early to tell if he can have sustain success.

What would he next if Woodson hire fails.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That team didnt even win the Big Ten.  The '92-'93 group came together perfectly as a unit.

Only dressed 10 scholarship players and the Henderson injury we weren't able to feel that loss.  I didn't say they had more success but they did finish second in the big ten and to me had more talent.

This one hurt. Race's injury will hurt. Hope he can bounce back quick. Game was there for the taking. Ultimately, I blame our defense and rebounding- and then the horrible officiating. We let Iowa put up 90. 50 in the second half. Geronimo on the other side of the court while his man nails the open 3 epitomizes what went wrong in that half. Too many easy drives. Lastly, I'd like to see JHS not be content to get across half court after breaking the press but push it further.

• Like 1