Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

Fran should of had another technical and been gone. There's really no arguing this because the ref actually gave him a T and then waved it off. His loudmouth son should have gotten a T because he went toward the IU bench and coaches too after the refs separated everyone. No T there either. As poor as IU played after the fast start, if the refs make the clear and appropriate calls, IU likely wins the game. How do you T up JG for tossing the ball to the ref? That happens in every game and I'm never seen a player T'd up for it. The next time it happens to IU CMW need to go balisitic.  

I will agree, IU did not look prepared for the press. They were rarely able to attack the press even though they have the better athletes. It became a mission just to get the ball over half court and run an offense and even that had multiple breakdowns that were not necessary. Frankly, with TJD hobbled they probably didn't even consider attacking the press.

Back to Coach. It may not be his personality to get on the refs hard but so far he hasn't been able to figure out how to work the refs. It's hurting his team. While some coaches go off all the time, it wouldn't hurt CMW to go off when it is called for like last night. Race got completely tackled from behind and injured. No foul was called. Just to protect your players you have to call it out in a big way on the floor. Another player gets hit in the face with an elbow and he is called for the foul. Coach can't let that go.  And when the other team's coach, and his idiot son, come at your bench, that cannot be overlooked. CMW should have demanded the T or got one of his own over it.

CMW was more vocal after the game but he's got to make a statement when it happens in the game. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Wasn’t that Gregg Marshall’s wife? Regardless, Fran Mcaffery is an embarrassment to the profession and is clearly a bona-fide asshole. 

Not sure about Marshall's wife, but Fran's wife was definitely tossed:

It's not the first time issues with officials have been a family affair for the McCafferys. In February 2006, Fran McCaffery, then the coach at Siena, was ejected from a game for what he said was the first time in his career. His wife, Margaret, was then ejected later in the game after a tirade at officials.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26089054/iowa-mccaffery-curses-official

I mean, I could kind of understand not T'ing up Fran in that situation. Tempers were hot, officials are trying to calm things down, both sides are saying things. But, when his son then walks over to our side and start yelling at people after everyone has been separated, I have no idea how that gets ignored, especially when the whole family has had this reputation for literally over a decade.

• Like 2

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Iowa grabbed a 5 point lead late in the second half. Woody finally put in a line up of TJD, Kopp, Gallo, Bates and JHS. We went on an 8-0 run. There was space and movement. 

….until there wasn’t. The same line up failed to score for the last 2 or 3 minutes because they stopped moving and fell into the same old stand-around-the-perimeter-looking-for-a-passing-lane-int-TJD-in-the-post. 

That said, most of that movement was in transition and spurred by good defense, but at least we saw the line up many have been asking for. Granted it was forced by injuries and Geronimo looking like he was playing the game with Oculus goggles on that were on a 2 second delay. 

Guess that’s a bright spot. 🤷‍♂️ 

Appreciate that summary. I might watch today if it’s a slow work day. Wife is at the office. 

Just bummed that my high hopes at the beginning of the year are starting to settle into “oh, it’s going to be another middling season.” 

https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/indiana-hoosiers-vs-iowa-hawkeyes-jan-05-2023-game-boxscore-242007#no_universal_links

I hope the link works, but go to the 3:29 mark of the second half.  Indiana is up 6.  Iowa made 1 shot that was not from the free throw line in the last 3:29 of the game.  1 shot.  There is a series that runs about 2 minutes where they were literally at the line on every possession. 

They got up 3 and started fouling us on purpose, but it is clear as day from the play by play that the refs helped them across the line last night.  We absolutely had our issues but the last 3:29 of that game was utter nonsense.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Appreciate that summary. I might watch today if it’s a slow work day. Wife is at the office. 

Just bummed that my high hopes at the beginning of the year are starting to settle into “oh, it’s going to be another middling season.” 

Don't give up yet, brother...Lots of basketball to play...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think someone said -18

Look, JG tries, but he can’t guard top flight wings. BUT Woody should never let this -18 number happen in a game that we only lose by 2. It’s completely unacceptable.

And before anybody asks, who are we supposed to put on Murray? I’m going to preemptively answer: anybody at that point. When TJD was switched on to Murray, he played better. Kopp played him better because he tried his hardest not to let him touch the ball. Galloway could at least chase him around screens. I realize we can only slow Kris Murray down with our personnel, but we can’t keep letting him get so open. When Geronimo is looking that lost he has to be taken out of the game. 

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Oh totally, no chance of me giving up. But, I’m realizing that now that I probably won’t be adding another championship year to my bicycle down tube this year. 

I am going to be more pessimistic.  If Race is out, we are in trouble.  Iowa is a bottom half, likely .500 or sub .500 Big Ten team.  They aren't any good.  The top tier teams are likely to have that be one of their away wins in most instances.  We barely got beat by them, but the team we saw after Race went down is a double digit loser to most Big Ten teams.

We aren't the team we started the year with anymore and that really stinks.  We had a pretty good team to start the year.  With the injuries piling up, we aren't that team anymore.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Had we been warned for delay of game before JGs tech? 

Not that I'm aware of...Courtney Green was the ref who called it...He's terrible in any game...And he had his wingman Larry Scrotum there with him...

No wonder the game was a mess...

• Like 1

In the '88 Big Ten season, I remember that Iowa did something at some point during the season to piss Coach Knight off.  They beat us by 14 in the first game of the conference slate.

We did not play them again until the last game of the season.  Iowa was a run and gun team that season. 

Knight, being pissed off at Iowa, and probably still steaming from losing to them earlier in the year, wanted to prove a point and devised a game plan that hung 116 on the Hawkeyes in a 27 point blowout.  It was an offensive clinic.

I hope this years coaches and players take some of that attitude into this season's rematch on 2/28.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Wasn’t that Gregg Marshall’s wife? Regardless, Fran Mcaffery is an embarrassment to the profession and is clearly a bona-fide asshole. 

Yeah if you guys watch the B1Gs 30 for 30 on the McCaffery family,  you will love mom, like the younger, and still want to punch Fran and oldest in the face.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Had we been warned for delay of game before JGs tech? 

Not that I can tell or see. That was the beginning of the BS train. Still shaking my head at 3 things. Fran, the same 3 idiotic officials involved in controversy, and honestly if we lose Race a season that started out with our best team on paper in 6 years is being decimated by injuries. Just sick still.

• Like 2

This game was reminiscent of the Wisconsin game in Madison last year...

But the only 2 comments I'll make are, anyone who thinks Trayce Jackson-Davis doesn't have guts and isn't a leader is badly mistaken...Woody said in the postgame he kept trying to take Trayce out, and he wouldn't do it...at 60% he was the best player on the floor not named Murray...

And Big 10 officiating is a joke...Where else can a kid get elbowed in the face and get a foul called on him?

• Thanks 3

Last night's game inbodied the past 20 years of our program. We get excited, hopes are high things looking great then the wheels fall off. Injuries poor FT shooting not getting the clutch call and falling in the end. The roller coaster ride continues.  I think being let down after high hopes is better than my empathy during CAM stint but I'm not sure.

At what point do we start winning these games, I have been asking for so long. 

I hate seeing Purdue be good and hate it even more when this year was supposed to be a down year for them and the breakout for us. Here they are getting to #1 with kids that were not rated high enough, or tall enough or athletic enough or whatever reason to play at Indiana.  Burns me up.

I don't drink or cuss but after the PU win and IU loss I wanted to chug a bottle of Jack and scream every profanity I know and make up some new ones. Not really but it is sickening. 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not that I can tell or see. That was the beginning of the BS train. Still shaking my head at 3 things. Fran, the same 3 idiotic officials involved in controversy, and honestly if we lose Race a season that started out with our best team on paper in 6 years is being decimated by injuries. Just sick still.

Honestly, a .500 record in conference is probably best case scenario at this point.  We will not win out at home and be extremely lucky to get more than 1 or 2 wins on the road.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I can’t imagine either Race or XJ will be back until late February - absolute best case scenario. How are we going to adapt?

Our starting line-up has to be:
JHS
Bates
Gallo
Kopp
TJD

Geronimo is only going to be able to play decent stretches when the match-ups are right.

We need to hope and pray that Malik learns to play with in the offense instead of becoming a black hole. 

Because our depth is now so thin, do we looking at showing a zone? Just to give a different look and stop scoring runs that will inevitably happen?

.500 in conference will be quite a feat. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In the '88 Big Ten season, I remember that Iowa did something at some point during the season to piss Coach Knight off.  They beat us by 14 in the first game of the conference slate.

We did not play them again until the last game of the season.  Iowa was a run and gun team that season. 

Knight, being pissed off at Iowa, and probably still steaming from losing to them earlier in the year, wanted to prove a point and devised a game plan that hung 116 on the Hawkeyes in a 27 point blowout.  It was an offensive clinic.

I hope this years coaches and players take some of that attitude into this season's rematch on 2/28.

Was that the same year that RMK had Jadlow throw a fastball off the face of one of their defenders who was guarding the in bounds? 

• Haha 1