Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Despite the injuries, I think has proven to be accurate so far.

I'm sorry, but this is not a good take. You can't just discount injuries when we've lost (1) our senior starting PG who was honorable mention B10 last year and arguably the best PG in the league this year, (2) our 5 star freshman for some games, which was after XJ got injured, forcing TG to play point, (3) a clearly lingering back injury for our big man who is an AA candidate, and (4) another senior starter and leader last night, who also could be lost for the year. In addition, Trey has been out a few games and there have been other nicks and whatnot.

TJD played 38 minutes last night, tops on the team, and was grabbing at his back for most of the night. This team has played, what, a handful of games at full strength? And yeah, it's silly to expect to get through the season with no serious injuries, but there are very few teams in the country that are going to absorb injury losses like this and still be successful. 

Making any sort of definitive conclusion on "intestinal fortitude" or whatever term you'd like to use on a team losing this much to injury is kind of ridiculous. There has been very little opportunity in game play to gel as a unit, to come up with a consistent rotation, and it's clearly taking a toll, not just physically, but mentally. Watching two senior leaders literally get carried off the court while the third is clearly struggling physically on the court tends to do that.

If you're grading this team, I don't think you can give anything other than Incomplete.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Also, this falls on Woody. Again, he’s not making adjustments. And if he does, it’s 10 minutes too late. 

“Indiana didn’t know what to do against the zone. Their coaching staff had no idea. It’s like they’d never seen a zone before” – Connor McCaffery on how Iowa got back in the game.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would love to know if Dolson takes this up with the league office.  No, the refs aren't to blame for us blowing a 21 point lead.  We did that just fine on our own. 

BUT,,,,this is such a blatant and egregious display of home-court favoritism and being scared of the potential aftermath if the call is made, it's off the charts unacceptable from an official.  This officiating crew has to face discipline for this and should not be allowed to officiate any IU or Iowa games for the rest of the year.  

Dolson needs to show the team and the coaching staff that he has their backs, especially considering the team has to be struggling with confidence with the injuries piling up and the losses starting to mount.   His reaction to this could literally be the trigger that defines the rest of the season.  

I have so many thoughts on the game last night I am afraid this is going to get long.  I will try to keep it short.

1.  I said at the end of the game thread that this year has convinced me that I can't have nice things.  That wasn't a good Iowa team.  If we are at full strength I am completely convinced we would have run them straight off the court.  We aren't though and I doubt we will be for the rest of the year.

2.  The only time I ever see Iowa play is when they play us.  I don't give a crap about Iowa in particular, but I harlte the entire McCaffery family.  Just going back and thinking through the games that we have played against them, I think he may have been tossed out of one.  It should have been aylt least half of them.  The way he acts is so over the top different than other coaches on the league (in my admittedly small IU only sample) that he has to have blackmail material on the BIG officials (that last part is somewhat a joke.)  IIRC there was an issue with him coming way outside his lane when Woodson was talking with the officials last year to stick his nose in the conversation.  His son did the same "I want to start sh-- that I certainly would not be able to finish" routine then as well.  That is a long winded way of saying that he is an a$$, his kids are a$$es, and the BIG should do something before they end up with a full out brawl during a game.  He needs to start getting tossed and fined more.  Period.

3.  This is somewhat related to up above and some comments I have seen from last night.  The injuries we have to this team impact everything we are trying to do.  The defense is suffering compared to last year and I think part of that is related to who we have had injured this year.  Our main guy to pressure the ball is on the bench.  Our defense last year had a dynamic "clean up" crew in Race and Trayce, particularly Trayce.  It is abundantly clear that the back injury has really impacted all facets of his game.  Point blank, if Race is gone for any extended period of time, we are going to be around .500 in the league.  TJD did not play for 3 weeks and tweaked his back again last night.  That is a season long injury.

4.  I don't know what I think of Woodson at the moment.  I feel like we always have excuses for this program on one hand and then on the other we have had injuries and guys missing that accounts for 4 of our 5 starters now.  And in some cases (like last night) even when some of them are playing it is abundantly clear they aren't themselves.  I don't want to be part of the excuse brigade and I think having one guy down is something a coach should be able to overcome and for the most part we have up until now.  Being down 2.5 starters though?  That is tough for anyone.  TJD did put up offense last night but I think everyone does against Iowa.  Those 30 points last night are about 15 against most of the BIG and we can't rely on JHS to shoot like he did from behind the arc the rest of the year either.  I just see struggle ahead and I think we would have that no matter who is coach.

5.  Are we just extremely unlucky or are we doing something within the program that causes the injury parade?  I'd really like to know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

“Indiana didn’t know what to do against the zone. Their coaching staff had no idea. It’s like they’d never seen a zone before” – Connor McCaffery on how Iowa got back in the game.

That bush league dipsh*t who takes after his father isn't someone I would really go to for analysis.

My analysis, we were up about 5 with around 3 minutes to go and Iowa got bailed out by a foul call and put on the line in about 90% of their possessions thereafter.  That isn't hyperbole either.  

• Like 5

The tech on Fran should have been called. Came out of coaches box yelling at officials and IU coaching staff. Told to go back and didn’t. If you called a double tech Fran is ejected. That didn’t happen. They waved it off. Even if it doesn’t change the game Gran should have been ejected. Should have called a T as soon as he passed half court. Conner should have been given a T for charging down the the bench too

The elbow by Perkins was a F1. No way around it. 2 blown calls that could have really changed game. T on JH for delay of game was weak

• Like 2

For the love of God…can Woodson please stop with this ridiculous mass substitution bull sh*t? This isn’t the NBA. I’m convinced it’s cost us multiple games — including yesterday’s — since he’s been here and he still doesn’t change. We have all the momentum…up 21 points and literally about to step on Iowa’s throats and then…Bam! Here comes the subs, momentum lost and the rest is history. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence where we’ve now seen multiple teams make record breaking come backs against us in the last couple years. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

For the love of God…can Woodson please stop with this ridiculous mass substitution bull sh*t? I’m convinced it’s cost us multiple games, including yesterday’s, since he’s been here and he still doesn’t change. We have all the momentum…up 21 points and literally about to step on Iowa’s throats and then…Bam! Here comes the subs, momentum lost and the rest is history. 

I think the substitution pattern is a completely reasonable complaint.  

7 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

The tech on Fran should have been called. Came out of coaches box yelling at officials and IU coaching staff. Told to go back and didn’t. If you called a double tech Fran is ejected. That didn’t happen. They waved it off. Even if it doesn’t change the game Gran should have been ejected. Should have called a T as soon as he passed half court. Conner should have been given a T for charging down the the bench too

The elbow by Perkins was a F1. No way around it. 2 blown calls that could have really changed game. T on JH for delay of game was weak

Agree, but to be fair he got away with a (stupid) goaltend.

Edited by Zuckerkorn

Have been pretty sick the last couple of days, so took some Theraflu and taped the game last night. As I was falling asleep, I checked the score and we were up by 20 early. At Iowa! Went to sleep with a big smile on my face, and then woke up to this bullshit. 

Is the game even worth watching? Race injured? Any bright spots? Sounds like JHS and TJD were really good. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Obviously you just watched one end when it comes to Geronimo  because he killed us on defense and for stat geeks he was a minus 18 when he was on the court

I don't want to rewatch.  I remember 3 specific defensive plays.  1 good and 2 bad.  I ha e no interest  in watching and breaking down to see how my of the 18 was on him.  The fact that he did score 9 during that time and the team was outscored by 18 shows really the entire team became a sh@@ show.  

27 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

And yet we scored more points in the second half, when they were primarily playing zone, than in the first. I really, really, really wish we would have had XJ on the court last night. He likely would have gotten that entire family tossed out of the game. If you don't know, Fran's wife has also been tossed out of a game in the past ... from the stands.

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

And yet we scored more points in the second half, when they were primarily playing zone, than in the first. I really, really, really wish we would have had XJ on the court last night. He likely would have gotten that entire family tossed out of the game. If you don't know, Fran's wife has also been tossed out of a game in the past ... from the stands.

We scored 50 in the first half and 39 in the second half. I definitely don't think our offense was the problem 

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Have been pretty sick the last couple of days, so took some Theraflu and taped the game last night. As I was falling asleep, I checked the score and we were up by 20 early. At Iowa! Went to sleep with a big smile on my face, and then woke up to this bullshit. 

Is the game even worth watching? Race injured? Any bright spots? Sounds like JHS and TJD were really good. 

Iowa grabbed a 5 point lead late in the second half. Woody finally put in a line up of TJD, Kopp, Gallo, Bates and JHS. We went on an 8-0 run. There was space and movement. 

….until there wasn’t. The same line up failed to score for the last 2 or 3 minutes because they stopped moving and fell into the same old stand-around-the-perimeter-looking-for-a-passing-lane-int-TJD-in-the-post. 

That said, most of that movement was in transition and spurred by good defense, but at least we saw the line up many have been asking for. Granted it was forced by injuries and Geronimo looking like he was playing the game with Oculus goggles on that were on a 2 second delay. 

Guess that’s a bright spot. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1