Iowa Post Game Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope some how guys like Gunn and Banks can improve enough to see some minutes. I actually thought Banks would have a role in this team but I guess he wasn't ready.

I personally want more Gunn as well. Maybe let Duccomb beat and bang 5/6 minutes. What does Woodson have to lose with his rotation trimmed to

JHS, Galloway, Kopp, TJD, Bates, Geronimo….. Reneau, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cbp4IU said:

I personally want more Gunn as well. Maybe let Duccomb beat and bang 5/6 minutes. What does Woodson have to lose with his rotation trimmed to

I hope Sunday we start 

JHS 

Bates 

Galloway 

Kopp 

TJD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Really need early season Reneau to return, at least partially. Otherwise, it’s small ball the rest of the way, with very little rest for TJD. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

I hope Sunday we start 

JHS 

Bates 

Galloway 

Kopp 

TJD

I 100% agree. Problem is… Who would be our 6th man. That’s why I almost considered sink or swim with Reneau and have Galloway off the bench first. Would like Leal to play a little next game. I think he would do a good job getting the ball fed to the low paint. Other than that. Give me the rotation you suggested above 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Really need early season Reneau to return, at least partially. Otherwise, it’s small ball the rest of the way, with very little rest for TJD. 

Reneau is one good game away from getting his swagger back. I think he’s timid from all the horrendous fouls called on him. He’s definitely the X-Factor going forward. If he returns to beginning of the season form he can keep this team staying a float. Would love to get lucky @IUbB 1 time and CJ Gunn plays more and gets hot and Carries momentum 3/4 games in a row. IU is due for something to break in the right way. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The ref definitely made a 'T' signal.  IU needs to escalate that to the league office.  

Yes, I wondered about that, too.  You could only see the ref from the back but looked to me like he gave the technical sign.  Iowa certainly had another one coming.

I waited a couple of hours before coming here.... Without Race and XJ this team wont win a game because NO ONE can play defense or rebound. MR is a human turnover and foul machine. The kid thinks he is still in High school where he can dribble head down and try and muscle 6'0  pimpled face kids, while being triple teamed. That's Woody's fault for not setting a role for him or not holding him to his role. Duncomb would give us more right now than MR. He needs to sit next to Leal. The subbing and timeout usage in the first half was awful. Can our top 7 not play mins like other teams top 7? If they can't get them in better shape or stop beating their asses up in practice. Tired of watching our bench get beat up by other teams starters. Injuries might turn this season into crap.

• Like 1

I had about 3 hours to sleep on it before getting woken up by a toddler…

Not that I want to win a game because we get a bunch of late techs, but both McCaffrey’s should have had one in the last sequence. Fran obviously got called for one and they rescinded it, but just as bad Connor came to our bench too.

I don’t know that I think Fran should be suspended, but one game wouldn’t break my heart, but Connor definitely should be. At the point he came over coaches were already trying to break things up, and then he ran over to our bench. That should be an easy, no brainer, suspension for a player to leave his bench and go to the other teams bench in that situation.

Instead Woodson will get fined for rightfully saying what it was. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Up 28-7 and lose in regulation. This program is cursed. Year after year for a decade + these type of inexplicable losses happen. 

There's no curse.  We have the most incompetent administration in college sports history.  They keep making bad hire after bad hire that the fan base will never get behind.  The available coaches that the fans would get behind immediately and have a proven track record never get hired.  Every...single...time.

5 hours ago, IU247 said:

I would love to know if Dolson takes this up with the league office.  No, the refs aren't to blame for us blowing a 21 point lead.  We did that just fine on our own. 

BUT,,,,this is such a blatant and egregious display of home-court favoritism and being scared of the potential aftermath if the call is made, it's off the charts unacceptable from an official.  This officiating crew has to face discipline for this and should not be allowed to officiate any IU or Iowa games for the rest of the year.  

Dolson needs to show the team and the coaching staff that he has their backs, especially considering the team has to be struggling with confidence with the injuries piling up and the losses starting to mount.   His reaction to this could literally be the trigger that defines the rest of the season.  

• Like 4

I post mostly on football. This may be my first BB post this season. I don't watch every BB game like I did years ago precisely for some of the reasons presented in this thread regarding the disappointment. I know, don't ask how I can continually hang with football. Martyrdom? No reason for anything but low expectations anyway (probably the answer).

This season, I've skipped a lot of inconsequential games, but have watched B1G and big non-conference (X, NC, UA, UK). My personal take coming into the year was we were overrated. While the talent was arguably there, I was not convinced of coaching and players ability to do it now that they wouldn't be "sneaking up" on teams, but rather be a favorite with the proverbial target on the back.

Despite the injuries, I think has proven to be accurate so far. The strategic and intestinal fortitude respectively had not been proven over time. I'd say we were realistically deserving of a lower-tier top 25 (maybe 20 to 25-ish). Now, with our performance thus far and injuries on top, unlikely we sniff top 25 again. I think all questions in this thread regarding coaching, player development, player mental toughness/roles/willingness/etc. are valid.

I continue to be amazed at how, when I watch most other teams, there are multiple players aggressively getting involved on the offensive end. Meanwhile, too many of our guys - especially perimeter players - just don't look aggressive within the offense. Purdue uses a somewhat similar approach with a post player as the centerpiece, but their offense flows much better with off-ball cutting, and wings who consistently look for and hit the open 3. 

I suppose we're at moot point assuming we don't see X and Race back anytime soon, which is really unfortunate. Feel sorry for those guys. 

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I had about 3 hours to sleep on it before getting woken up by a toddler…

Not that I want to win a game because we get a bunch of late techs, but both McCaffrey’s should have had one in the last sequence. Fran obviously got called for one and they rescinded it, but just as bad Connor came to our bench too.

I don’t know that I think Fran should be suspended, but one game wouldn’t break my heart, but Connor definitely should be. At the point he came over coaches were already trying to break things up, and then he ran over to our bench. That should be an easy, no brainer, suspension for a player to leave his bench and go to the other teams bench in that situation.

Instead Woodson will get fined for rightfully saying what it was. 

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Geronimo  was 4 of 6 before being  taken out, had a few nice defensive plays at the rim too.  Did you actually watch?

I watched and thought he was crap.  Out of position on defense, can't shoot FT's better than a pee-wee player, doing stupid stuff repeatedly.  He's a great athlete but a poor excuse for a basketball player.  Unfortunately, he's gonna get PT because iowa plays rugby on the basketball court and Reneau is unplayable at this point (and apparently Duncomb is even worse).  Hate being harsh but IMO JG is more of a liability than an asset.

• Like 1